PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Polish/Sealant/Wax

Pages : [1] 2 3

warrior151
08-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Evening,
I am looking for suggestions for my aircraft...I have been using NXT2.0 on the aircraft but unfortunately the plane sits outside and it wax just doesn't seem to hold up.

Earlier this year, I clayed, cleaned and waxed...I am so new to the detailing arena I honestly did not know the difference between polish/sealent/wax...now I know.

The plane's surface is smooth but it collects bird dung, dirt and anything else mother nature throws at it.

Looking for any help/steps/thoughts with this...

Thanks in advance...

Don

trerc
08-11-2011, 08:08 PM
I would try Collonite 845

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845, liquid wax, heat-resistant wax, car wax (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html)

Porsche Pilot
08-11-2011, 08:09 PM
On my planes I have always used Rejex sealant. It is tough as nails. Removal can be a bit tough if you leave it on too long. It dries like concrete. A great product line that I am enjoying on my CZAW is AeroShell Flight Jacket. They make some really nice and easy to use products. The SportCruiser lives in the hangar so it doesn't get bombarded too much...typical leading edge and windscreen bugs. I have had my Warrior 2 at the tie down while she sells. The Rejex has held up nicely.

ScottB
08-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Rejex ??? I think it actually started out in the aviation industry.

Porsche Pilot
08-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I believe it did. I have used it for years. Believe it or not, Pledge is a great aircraft cleaner and it smells nice.

TLMitchell
08-11-2011, 09:20 PM
I would try Collonite 845

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845, liquid wax, heat-resistant wax, car wax (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html)

:dblthumb2:

On oxidized surfaces I used to use Collinite 126 cleaner/wax. Pretty stout abrasives and it applied well with a rotary or DA. It collected around the rivets and hardened if you let it dry. Assuming you're looking for protection longevity I 2nd the vote on 845. Easy on/off, inexpensive and a little goes a long way. All considerations when working on something of that size. I'll bet you could do the better part of a whole Constellation with a single bottle! Lasts as long or longer than anything I've ever used. It doesn't stain trim but don't get it on any anti-skid on a wingwalk, it'll be there forever. Don't ask how I know this. :eek:

TL

rwright
08-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Evening,
I am looking for suggestions for my aircraft...I have been using NXT2.0 on the aircraft but unfortunately the plane sits outside and it wax just doesn't seem to hold up.

Earlier this year, I clayed, cleaned and waxed...I am so new to the detailing arena I honestly did not know the difference between polish/sealent/wax...now I know.

The plane's surface is smooth but it collects bird dung, dirt and anything else mother nature throws at it.

Looking for any help/steps/thoughts with this...

Thanks in advance...

Don

Hi Don,

What is your aircraft and what is the year? Is the surface oxidized or have you removed all oxidation and just looking for better protection? The problems you listed after waxing with NXT 2.0 I have found to be common characteristics with that wax. You have been provided some great options as far as the protection stages go - Collinite #845, ReJex, and AeroShell Flight Jacket, but the key is prepping the surface to achieve maximum longevity from those products.

warrior151
08-12-2011, 05:31 AM
It is a 1976 Piper Warrior 151. The clayed and cleaned every inch of the plane however, sitting in the Maryland sun/weather is taking its toll. I used NXT2.0, and Zymol. Looked good for about two weeks then blaahhh. I have not tried the Rejex or Collinite. I am will to test and try different things to help prevent a $10K or better paint job. Honestly I did try the Pledge and it was great for the bugs in North Dakota and it did smell nice on the ground and in the air!! Smell came thru the vents of the wing...

Thank you for all the suggestions...time to order a few different things!

Don

Porsche Pilot
08-12-2011, 06:45 AM
Richard is right...and Wright. Much like a car, it is all in the prep. I find no joy in polishing my 151. Lying on your back polising the underside of a low wing is no fun. I do one coat of Rejex a year and a good soap and water wash 3 or 4 times a year. It gets a leading edge, windscreen and belly wipe down after every flight.

If my 151 didnt just sell I would have given you my cockpit and wing covers. You might consider that investment since yours lives on the ramp. A great investment that beats a paint job any day. Plus it keeps the critters out.

Here is my 1977 151. I hate to see her go but with 100LL well north of $5.00 a gallon, I have gone light sport. 5 gallons an hour vs 10 is awesome.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1082/medium/HPIM0171_copy.jpg

TLMitchell
08-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Here is my 1977 151.

You're bring back memories.... I spent a ton of time bouncing off runways with students in a 151 & 161 with a spitting-image paint job. Ferried a few new ones out of VRB as well. I was based up the river from LHV for a while before the move to VRB. Used to have new PA28s lined up wingtip to wingtip waiting for delivery. Pretty empty and depressing place now.

TL

Porsche Pilot
08-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Great story TL. It is sad to see the state of general aviation today, especially Piper. Bill Piper would roll over in his grave if he could see what has happened to his company. My aunt was his personal secretary for 30+ years. Who would have ever thought that Dubai would one day own Piper. Too may regulations and hoops these days for me. I am letting my private expire and go full time LSA. Flying is actually fun again.

TLMitchell
08-12-2011, 07:41 AM
It is sad to see the state of general aviation today, especially Piper. Bill Piper would roll over in his grave if he could see what has happened to his company. My aunt was his personal secretary for 30+ years. Who would have ever thought that Dubai would one day own Piper.

Without the corporates.. Bangor Punta, Lear Siegler, etc... they probably would've never even survived the damage from the flood in '72. Definitely not if they hadn't already moved most of the production equipment south before Hurricane Agnes. Too bad they didn't get the PA24 jigs out before they were destroyed. Best single engine airplane they ever built, IMO.

My Dad & I ran into Max Conrad in LHV in the early 80s... he was 83 years old and still flying. He had a ton of hilarious Bill Piper stories!

Too may regulations and hoops these days for me.

You ain't seen nothing until you've spent 24 years in a dark room watching blips working for the dipsticks. Lots of hair-raisers to tell once I'm out the door at the end of the month. Then again, with only 19 days left I could probably quit faster than they can fire me. Im the MAN

TL

Porsche Pilot
08-12-2011, 07:53 AM
You ain't seen nothing until you've spent 24 years in a dark room watching blips working for the dipsticks. Lots of hair-raisers to tell once I'm out the door at the end of the month. Then again, with only 19 days left I could probably quit faster than they can fire me. Im the MAN

TL

LOL...I don't think I want to know the behind the scenes stories! I always have faith that the guy or gal working the screen isn't going to vector me into the side of an Atlas rocket. But, the night I had picked up some pretty bad carb ice and I was close to freak out mode, that calming voice on the other end was a godsend.

rwright
08-12-2011, 07:56 AM
You guys have me glued to this thread now! Very interesting stuff.

TLMitchell
08-12-2011, 08:25 AM
LOL...I don't think I want to know the behind the scenes stories! I always have faith that the guy or gal working the screen isn't going to vector me into the side of an Atlas rocket.

Blind faith isn't such a bad thing... kinda like "ignorance is bliss". You're probably better off not knowing. Before 9/11 we used to be able to ride cockpit jumpseats for "training". Curious how most of that "training" went to vacation destinations. :D Believe me, you don't want to know some of the things that are going on in the front of your Boeing either. :eek:

But, the night I had picked up some pretty bad carb ice and I was close to freak out mode, that calming voice on the other end was a godsend.

It's easy to be calm when you're not the one in the airplane with puckered shorts. After all, have you ever heard of a Control Tower crashing? ;)

40 years as a pilot, 24 in a dark room.... I don't go anywhere I need to fly to get there.

TL <---- "everybody turn right for controller amusement"