PDA

View Full Version : Meg's Ultimate vs #83 vs WG's TSR

greatblade
08-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Hi,

I was perusing Meghan's comprehensive compound chart and did not see Meg's ultimate compound listed. In terms of aggressiveness, where does the Ultimate Compound fall relative to Meg's #83 and WG's TSR?

Thanks!

OhTwoGT
08-11-2011, 03:05 PM
In my experience the TSR is less aggressive than the UC. UC is very close to M105 as far as aggressiveness but its slightly less aggressive than M95 and much easier to work with and has a great work time.

ziggo99
08-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Perhaps these will help

Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23561-smat-pack-everything-you-ever-wanted-know-about-meguiar-s-smat-products.html

:)

greatblade
08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
ziggo99,

Thanks for the SMAT pack link. Didn't know about that one!

Mike Phillips
08-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Hi,

I was perusing Meghan's comprehensive compound chart and did not see Meg's ultimate compound listed. In terms of aggressiveness, where does the Ultimate Compound fall relative to Meg's #83 and WG's TSR?

Thanks!

I think UC came out after the chart...

UC is a true compound, that is it's capable of removing a lot of paint fast.

M83 is a medium polish as is Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover.

I've used M83 for years and taught a lot of people how to use it with a DA to remove swirls and scratches before any of the new Meguiar's products were introduced using SMAT

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover will finish out LSP ready on most paint system, M83 might require some follow-up polishing.

See these two threads...

Word Definitions - Compounds, Polishes, Glazes, Paint Cleaners and Waxes (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/39020-word-definitions-compounds-polishes-glazes-paint-cleaners-waxes.html)

Factors that affect how aggressive or non-aggressive a product is (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/28458-factors-affect-how-aggressive-non-aggressive-product.html)

What are you working on?
What are you trying to accomplish?

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
08-11-2011, 04:19 PM
ziggo99,

Thanks for the SMAT pack link. Didn't know about that one!

You can find that one a a few more in my article list under

Compounds - Polishes - Paint Cleaners - Cleaner/Polishes - Pure Polishes - Glazes

Link to article list in my Sig Line

:xyxthumbs:

greatblade
08-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I'm working on a white 93 4Runner. I'm using the 4Runner as a test case to practice my techniques. My primary goal is to learn how to do the correction step and thought I would start with a bottle of old Meg's step one I have.

That was the case until I found out about AG. Learning about the different swirl removers and types of paint I feel I didn't plan the swirl remover step very well. Regardless, I plan on starting my first detail work with a 7424xp this weekend. And if the bottle of Meg's that I have does not work out I will try out one of the newer OTC Meg's products.

Anyhow, I have attached a picture of the swirl and bottle of Meg's I have.

Mike Phillips
08-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Anyhow, I have attached a picture of the swirl and bottle of Meg's I have.

You won't really get anywhere with the Consumer Step 1 Paint Cleaner. It does contain some diminishing abrasives but it's really very non-abrasive.

Here's something I posted in 2006 to MOL on this product,

The A3016 Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner does in fact contain a light amount of diminishing abrasive along with chemical cleaners to enable it to remove swirls and other above and below surface paint defects.

Definitely step up to some a tick more aggressive for removing swirls and not taking all day to do it.

Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover is a medium polish that finishes out LSP ready for most people, if you're a perfectionist or working on a dark color then take the results it produces to a higher level with the Advanced Finishing Polish.

One of the things Max and I have had to work at with different camera guys on the different TV shows we've worked on is helping them to capture the before and after results accurately with their cameras... it's actually kind of challenging to do. The camera guys that work for Dennis Gage did a pretty good job on this how-to feature, at least good enough that you get the idea as to the before and after results and the swirls on this GTO were horrendous.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MsZL72VAk&hd=1]My Classic Car with Dennis Gage and Mike Phillip - Removing Swirls - YouTube[/video]

:)

greatblade
08-15-2011, 01:42 PM
So I completed my first detailing job with a polisher this past weekend. I have to admit, I wasn't too thrilled doing it at first. I was racing against the sun during my learning curve which lead to a little frustration. But after I got the hang of it, the next day was awesome. I know I have a long way till I really get the hang of it all but I must say, even the results of my first try was very satisfying.

I used UC to take out the swirls and am very impressed with the stuff, made my neglected paint job look presentable. Since time and energy ran out, I was only able to follow the UC with KAIO before stopping. I plan on following it up with KSG (2Xs) with a final coat of Collinite #845 within the next few days. The KAIO itself resulted in a nice glossy wet look, which I was after, but from what I've read the KSG plus 845 is suppose to really kick some butt. I can't wait to apply it!

Anyhow, here are three lessons learned from my first attempt:

#1. Don't lift the polisher off the car until it stops spinning

#2. You can't have too many MF towels

#3. See #1.

Thanks to everybody on AG for answering my questions and posting your own questions so I can learn from them too!!!