PDA

View Full Version : Help!

dutty21
08-11-2011, 02:55 AM
Feed back please

I have a '03 X5 with black metallic paint. After a long time sitting in the elements, the paint is far less than perfect. I am desperate to get this right. The paint will still shine after a good polishing and wax, but I can still see the imperfections. I really want to achieve that glass look.

To start, I began with P1 polish and a yellow pad using a Flex 3401. After that didn't work, I moved up to a coarser orange pad. I did 6-8 passes in an 12X12 section and still the paint appears "uneven". I'm not sure if that is the proper terminology. However, it's how I describe it because I still do not get the glass like appearance.

After an unsuccessful weekend i moved up to M105. I started with the lightest pad and moved up. I have to be doing something wrong. As far as I know M105 is the strongest polish out there. Is it that I need to have a rotary buffer? I have never used one, nor am I comfortable just diving in on one. However, if this is my only course of action, than I will start practicing on scrap parts.

If anyone has any advise please reply. If wet sanding is my only course of action than I am taking it to a professional, but still I need to know this. I can provide pictures if need be. :confused:

Mobile detail
08-11-2011, 03:03 AM
1st off m105 is a compound. Not a polish. Usually but not always you have to follow a compound up with a finer polish like M205. Then youcan jewel the paint with menzerna 85rd our 106. Post up pictures so I can have a better idea what the problem is plz

bigaizsosexy
08-11-2011, 03:23 AM
You shouldn't need to wet sand the car as of yet, but like Mobile Detail said you always have to follow up with a less abrasive polish after a compound, and maybe even a finishing polish there after. After m105, use m205 to refine the finish. If it still needs to be refined more, which in most cases it shouldn't, then you will need a finishing polish to do so. Optimum Finishing polish or Pinnacle Natural Brilliance finishing polish are some choices.

dutty21
08-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Thank you. I did follow M105 with Menzerna Power Finish, followed by Wolfgangs Deep Gloss Sealant. I apologize for the improper terminology. I will post pictures this afternoon.

embolism
08-12-2011, 11:59 AM
are you talking about orange peel perhaps?

only way to get rid of that is wetsanding I'm afraid...

we should be able to tell by the pictures...

dutty21
08-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Anytime the light hits the paint just so you can see this. It is so frustrating. I know you all will quickly identify the problem, so I am all ears. Also, as you see in some pictures that the paint looks uneven, not smooth and mirror like. You can also see the spots I can't work out. Be as critical as needed. I am eager to learn and will not take any offense. I realize I am the cause of error here. Thanks all.:hungry: