PDA

View Full Version : Towel scratches

Prophizee
08-11-2011, 12:44 AM
What's going on gents quick question. Got a brand new car 2011 m3 coupe. Took it out in the sun today and noticed that they are some scratches that have to be from the microfiber towel I used. It's hard to see the scratches since it's color is silverstone. What is the best polish or compound to use to get them off. What I was thinking of using was getting some megs ultimate compound and using the porter cable with an orange pad. Any feed back would be appreciated. Btw I have the Wolfgang twins but not sure if that would be way to aggressive. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

truckbutt
08-11-2011, 05:39 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/34952-fine-scratches-paint-caused-clay-bad-towel.html
The principle as I understand it is to start with the least aggressive product first so as to minimize the loss of paint. Here is a chart that was recently posted.
Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart (http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm)
I get small scratches on my 2011 Mustang by breathing on it. I start with M205 on a polishing pad. That usually takes the sctatches away. You can then go to wax or sealant. You can also use Menzerna p085rd after the M205 and before wax/sealant.

CEE DOG
08-11-2011, 06:54 AM
The WG twins aren't too aggressive. I would buy some 205 for an in between product though. After you polish you want to remove the polishing oils before applying any sealant. The ultimate compound should work fine but may be more aggressive than you need for towel marks. It just depends. Go out there with the polishes you have and try the fg and the tsr on one 2x2 test square. If you need tsr to remove the swirls then take a look at the paint and come back with fg depending on how good you want it to look. If you go with UC and an orange pad I would expect to come back for a second step with a finer pad and polish for better gloss.

Bamaboy007
08-11-2011, 07:47 AM
you may could use the Meguiar's Microfiber Correction system to remedy your problem

Mobile detail
08-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Personally I think uc is way too much for towel scratches. I would use 205 on white or FG on white 1st. You shouldn't need to compound light scratches. Least aggressive 1st.it is a brand new car so you want to keep as much clear on it as you can. JMO. If it doesn't work then step up to something stronger.

Y2KSVT
08-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Or for an over the counter option, go with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. M205 is a great polish, but to avoid paying shipping on a small bottle, and if you can't find it locally, go with Ultimate Polish.

dad07
08-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Or for an over the counter option, go with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. M205 is a great polish, but to avoid paying shipping on a small bottle, and if you can't find it locally, go with Ultimate Polish.

:iagree:Ultimate polish is a great OTC product......its a little less agressive than 205 and is very easy to work with.

Rei86
08-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Compound and Polish can both be found at Wally World for cheap. Like less then 20 dollars out the door for both bottles cheap.

You can find M105 and M205 at Pep Boys and Advanced Auto....Pep boys has the M105 32oz for 39~49.99 and M205 32oz for 29.99. Go to Advanced Auto and get it for cheaper at around 29.99 for a 32oz bottle of M105.

That is if you're in a pinch, but not even AG can beat Wal Mart for UC and UP.

Kurt_s
08-11-2011, 11:36 PM
I second Corey's suggestion. UC is slightly more aggressive than TSR. TSR should easily take out the fine scratches from the MF toweling with an orange cutting pad. You will most likely want to use the FG with a polishing pad afterward. As Corey suggested, 205 may give you a little more correction than the FG as a first step and eliminate a second polishing step if you used UC or TSR.

If the towel marks are light, you may only need a light-mildly aggresive polish like Optimum Spray Wax or M205 and both offer long working times. Try a polishing pad and remember to work in smaller (2x2 ft or smaller) sections if you go the 205 route as a first step.

I have not used the Megs Ultimate Polish but I really like Ultimate Compound. In my hands, UC dusts less than M105 and TSR with a cut between them in aggressiveness. If you can't get M205 locally and don't want to wait for an order to ship, you may be able to accomplish similar results with the Ultimate Polish from what I've read.

The WG twins aren't too aggressive. I would buy some 205 for an in between product though. After you polish you want to remove the polishing oil before applying any sealant. The ultimate compound should work fine but may be more aggressive than you need for towel marks. It just depends. Go out there with the polishes you have and try the fg and the tsr on one 2x2 test square. If you need tsr to remove the swirls then take a look at the paint and come back with fg depending on how good you want it to look. If you go with UC and an orange pad I would expect to come back for a second step with a finer pad and polish for better gloss.

Prophizee
08-11-2011, 11:38 PM
So I tried the Meg 205, I had some laying around. I used it with a white pad and no luck still there. But here is the question for the ages... I can barley notice them but I know they are there, should I just not even concern myself with it then. I have to really strain to see them. I feel like I am treating the situation kind of like a women you really like but you are just scared of commitment... Your just trying to find a flaw lol. Before I forgot thank you gentlemen for all the advice.

mark2dx
08-19-2011, 11:31 AM
If you can live with the minor swirls, then leave it be. Sounds to me like it bothers you a bit, so why not polish them out?

205 is a solid solution for light swirls, but since it doesn't seem to be working for you, give the Wolfgang products a shot since you have them. Or you could pick up something a little less aggressive and work your way up to using the Wolfgang if you need it :buffing:

yakky
08-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Man, everyone here sure is a quick draw. First, figure out where the scratches are coming from. Lookup the CD test, that should tell you if your towels are suspect. However I would suspect wash technique first. Once you figure out what is causing the scratches, then find a solution.

In the mean time wax the car with a good swirl filling product.

timaishu
08-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Just ignore them. I was the same way with my car. I two stepped my car about 9 months ago with ultimate compound and swirlx. It came out great! After awhile from washing I noticed a few spots where there was still some minor swirling that I either missed or didnt quite get rid of.

I decided it would be best to live with it as out clear coat is so thin and the fact that I have to hunt down the swirls to find them. If I just look at the car I cant see them at all.

Prophizee
08-19-2011, 11:39 PM
That what I decided too do just leave it for now i took it in the sun and you can't even notice it and the way I figure if I start now all I am doing is taking off clear and then when I have some real swirl problems knock on wood I won't be able to correct them. But like I said before thank you gentlemen for all your great advice