PDA

View Full Version : Layering question Opti-coat...

jcarson112
08-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Anyone layer opti-coat over UTTG? Does it mess with OC's ability to bond to the trim surface?

Also, because I noticed this after I read the instructions on the syringe. I know some of you have used this to treat glass... but it says not to. Would this just be for windshields or should i just ignore putting it on glass all together?

qaz393
08-10-2011, 03:34 PM
opti-coat needs to bond with paint. cannot bond on top of itself or anything other than a stripped surface.

better to go with cquartz since that can be layered by itself

Chris Thomas
08-10-2011, 05:24 PM
If there is a barrier between Opticoat and the item being coated, it will wear away with the product it covers. For maximum longevity the surface needs to be bare.

OC can be layered if the second coat goes on right after the first one flashes, but if you let it set for an hour or so it will not adhere. BTW a single coat of Opticoat is thicker than two coats of CQuartz and lasts much longer....just saying that they are NOT similar technology even though some use them interchangeably.

jcarson112
08-10-2011, 05:32 PM
So if I have some kinda faded trim and I'm trying to get the color back how would I go about refreshing it if my goal is to use OC?

qaz393
08-10-2011, 05:33 PM
If there is a barrier between Opticoat and the item being coated, it will wear away with the product it covers. For maximum longevity the surface needs to be bare.

OC can be layered if the second coat goes on right after the first one flashes, but if you let it set for an hour or so it will not adhere. BTW a single coat of Opticoat is thicker than two coats of CQuartz and lasts much longer....just saying that they are NOT similar technology even though some use them interchangeably.

what is the thickest opticoat can become??? can i layer it 3+ times??

embolism
08-10-2011, 05:55 PM
have you seen the video of Chris applying OC to the front bumper of a Nissan? Looks like he went over areas a few times. If you want to use 10cc on one car I think it would be pretty easy, though ppl tend to try to use as little as possible since double the amount doesn't necessarily provide double the protection.

FUNX650
08-10-2011, 05:59 PM
So if I have some kinda faded trim and I'm trying to get the color back how would I go about refreshing it if my goal is to use OC?

I'd either re-spray the trim, if possible; or, use a permanent repair kit such as the: ETR III Kit from AutoInternational. After either choice has cured/outgassed, then I would suspect Opti-Coatings would adhere. Then again, Chris@Optimum would know best. :)

My nickles worth...

Bob

Setec Astronomy
08-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Also, because I noticed this after I read the instructions on the syringe. I know some of you have used this to treat glass... but it says not to. Would this just be for windshields or should i just ignore putting it on glass all together?

This seems to be a liability concern (affecting the visibility thru the glass due to uneven/over application). Most people who use it seem to use it on glass.

dougaross
08-10-2011, 07:55 PM
This seems to be a liability concern (affecting the visibility thru the glass due to uneven/over application). Most people who use it seem to use it on glass.
I have used on my windshield - makes windshield very easy to keep clean - no streaking. However does not repel water as well as Aquapel

Chris Thomas
08-10-2011, 10:22 PM
what is the thickest opticoat can become??? can i layer it 3+ times??

A single, even layer is all you need. Two back to back applications per panel is more than enough (both done before moving on to the next section). You are welcome to try and layer it 3+ times, but IMO that is a waste of time and product. The protection and attributes are manifest with a very thin application, so more is better does not apply here.