PDA

View Full Version : Re-applying Sealant after every wash?

Pages : [1] 2

Njohc
08-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Hi,
My car has a single stage red paint on it that I have been protecting with klasse sg after a major detail in June. I know there is not much paint left to work with so Im trying my best to keep it from fading to pink. Is it ok to apply more layers of sealant after I wash it? It currently has 4 layers on it from June ( I made sure to really layer it since theres not much left to work with). Im just checking to make sure Im not doing anything wrong by applying it after a wash? I assumed there wasnt anything wrong with it, as Id be working with a clean surface. Thanks for any info.
Also any other tips on keeping a daily driven single stage red from fading is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Setec Astronomy
08-09-2011, 04:20 PM
If you live where you can wash all year round, then I think you could go almost indefinitely by applying some sort of spray wax after each wash, Optimum Car Wax, DG AquaWax, Z-8, or one of the many other spray sealants. Some people have diluted down the SG with distilled water and used it as a spray wax.

Jeff120
08-09-2011, 04:26 PM
I think its over kill. A spray wax in between major details is all that is needed to maintain.

Njohc
08-09-2011, 04:27 PM
If you live where you can wash all year round, then I think you could go almost indefinitely by applying some sort of spray wax after each wash, Optimum Car Wax, DG AquaWax, Z-8, or one of the many other spray sealants. Some people have diluted down the SG with distilled water and used it as a spray wax.
Im from NJ too actaully. If this winter is anything like the past couple years Im really going to get to layering it on when fall rolls around. I dont know how well it holds up to salt, but it's worth a shot. I never knew there were spray sealants. Ill give them a look. Thanks!

I think its over kill. A spray wax in between major details is all that is needed to maintain.
Is it actually possible to put too much on? I dont mind doing a layer after every wash if it helps prolong the time before I need a paint job.

Jimmie
08-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Our cars have the Klasse twins topped with WG sealant. I'm topping after almost each wash with WG Spritz Sealant (using it like a QD). I agree with Jeff that it is overkill. Sure feeds my OCD and makes it seem more protected. In reality every thing over a couple of coats to get good coverage is probably wasting product. BUT, how else can we have fun, and spend AG $$$.

Setec Astronomy
08-09-2011, 04:35 PM
We need to get Slickooz promoted to manager at the Lexus dealer where he works so he can get us into their washbay on the weekends during the winter.

Njohc
08-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Im going to check out the spray sealants now. Any one in particular that people seem to like the best? The way Im looking at it, is that Id much rather go through a 20$ bottle of klasse then have to spend thousands on new paint. Thanks for all the quick replies!

rfinkle2
08-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Im going to check out the spray sealants now. Any one in particular that people seem to like the best? The way Im looking at it, is that Id much rather go through a 20$ bottle of klasse then have to spend thousands on new paint. Thanks for all the quick replies!

I am a huge fan of wolfgangs deep gloss paint sealant spray.

It looks the best of all of the spray sealants, imo, doesn't streak, and has decent durability.

Njohc
08-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks, after I use that is it still ok to go back to the SG before the winter for some heavy duty protection? Will it still allow the klasse to cure properly?

V3AutoDetailing
08-09-2011, 06:38 PM
have you looked into opti coat or any other coatings. sounds like you would benifit from one of these

Bunky
08-09-2011, 06:46 PM
I am a huge fan of wolfgangs deep gloss paint sealant spray.

It looks the best of all of the spray sealants, imo, doesn't streak, and has decent durability.

How do you rate its slickness?

I used some this weekend and while glossy (over time) and easy to apply it did not seem especially slick.

Njohc
08-09-2011, 07:27 PM
have you looked into opti coat or any other coatings. sounds like you would benifit from one of these
That definitely sounds like something I'd like to try out. I'd heard of it before, but always thought it was just another sealant.

BobbyG
08-09-2011, 07:40 PM
If you have just a sealant on your car then yes, you could re-coat if you like.

Rather than another coat of sealant after your next wash give Optimum Spray Wax a try and prepare to be amazed at how slick and glossy your finish will look....

You can cover the entire car with Optimum Spray Wax in 15 to 20 minutes and never break a sweat..

Optimum Car Wax is a spray wax made with real carnauba and synthetic paint sealants for protection & shine! high-grade carnauba wax and silicone (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html)

Optimum Car Wax 128 oz. Refill (http://www.autogeek.net/opcarwa1ga.html)

V3AutoDetailing
08-09-2011, 08:18 PM
That definitely sounds like something I'd like to try out. I'd heard of it before, but always thought it was just another sealant.

I would recomend this. Your going to get that permanent coating. Thier are cars out there going on 2 years plus and still shwing great protection.

You then can hit with a quick detailer for a little extra shin after a wash.

Njohc
08-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks for everybody's help. I definitely learned a lot in a short amount of time. I know I sound ocd about it, but I just don't have the money for another paint job! haha Insurance on new drivers is crazy, and BMW maintenance is as well!