PDA

View Full Version : Random Travel Conversations

Pages : [1] 2 3

rwright
08-09-2011, 09:36 AM
So I'm traveling today wearing my Dodo Juice shirt and before I make it to my gate a guy stops me and asks about my shirt. I start to explain that they make boutique car waxes in England and notice he has a blank stare, so I explain their products are better than those found over the counter. He interrupts and asks "So what does it do?" I laugh to myself and briefly explain because obviously he's not going to get it and i had to get to my gate. Would love to have had a business card.

So this is open to everyone, please share any stories you have if you feel like it.

---
- Sent using Tapatalk

DLB
08-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Just the other day I had a guy admiring my truck and so the conversation of upkeep ensued. My truck is single stage, and I have learned that the best combination is to use some Meg's #7 every so often to "oil it up" and then cover it at least once a month with wax of choice (Souveran works great because of rich oil content).

So while I am explaining this to the kind gentleman - he gives me the blank stare you speak of and informs me that "That Ice stuff is really good. It will make one shine." If I had only known all along!!!

DLB

Flannigan
08-09-2011, 10:52 AM
I try to stay out of detailing conversations with the general public. It always ends badly. I was at a car show once with a booth showing some detailing demos and advertising for my company. I had one guy tell me I was a scammer because he kept his car in a show car state using paper towels and windex. Needless to say his vehicle looked like crap.

Also I have had plenty of people tell me ICE is the best product on the market, or that they take their car through a car wash once a week and it looks great. The only person who didn't know anything about detailing that actually took my advice is my neighbor. He has a black Volvo that looked terrible when I moved in. He saw me detailing all the time and just came and asked questions. I gave him a few pointers, and now he keeps his vehicle looking amazing. He even polishes the whole thing by hand, even though I have offered over and over to teach him to use the PC.

So now that I'm done rambling, basically talking to random people about high ed detailing, or high end detailing products has always ended badly for me...lol

V3AutoDetailing
08-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Most people are never wrong and what ever the from walmart is the best.

BobbyG
08-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Comments I've heard through the years:

Clear coats protect the paint so I don't have to wax it anymore
Washing your car too often will wear away the finish
The special coating the dealer applied lasts for 5 years
Dish washing liquid is better and cheaper
WalMart carries premium products
I've always used the wax from the automatic car wash
Do everything by hand it comes out better

pixelmonkey
08-09-2011, 11:55 AM
saw a black f-150 at a local restaurant with swirls that were quite a site. just happened, i was going to have lunch at the same place and thought I would maybe see and stop the guy.

turned out he was proud of the way his truck looked after a local "detailer" took care of his truck.

i just stayed quiet.
chris<pixelmonkey>:D

timaishu
08-09-2011, 12:28 PM
I was once on the trolley when I was 5 coming back from downtown San Diego with my dad. The trolley was packed so we sat down somewhere then a homeless lady sat down next to me.

Few minutes later she started screaming at the top of her lungs out of no where and was having on way conversations and getting very irratable. I remember my dad whispering in my ear not to look at her. I think I was scared or atleast nervous. I looked everywhere else but at her and the looks on peoples faces when they glanced at her were great. I was stuck in that seat for about 20 minutes. Ahh memories.

Rei86
08-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Random Convos..

When I used to own the Supra it was a #### magnet. No matter where i went it was just a guy after guy. They always asked the same question also.
"So how fast have you taken it up too?"
"The speedo says 180, have you been that fast?"
"How much HP does it make?"
"My car is faster."
"My sisters BF's Couzins, half removed mexican, that has a girl in England, that knows a dude in San Fran, and that dude knows a guy in NC has a Supra."
"My Grandma has a Supra"
"I own a Supra" (they never do)

They also always got very confrontational if they owned a modded like car. Anything from the low Honda Civic to any other "tuner" crowd vehicle.

Lets just say it was a lot of bark and no bite.

2kredbb6
08-09-2011, 12:52 PM
From a friend who just got a 2011 Corolla with 12 miles on the odometer an "DISO"
Me- "Hey man you should bring it by so I can Polish it an seal it"
Him - " Stop trying to scam me man, car is new I dont need all that they washed it at the dealer So I am Set"
Me - OH! ok man thats cool, good to know they washed it. Laters..

jpegs13
08-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Questions and my answers when I'm in the Murcie.

How much does it cost?---- It's not for sale or I won it in a raffle.

How many miles a gallon does it get?------ It gets 8 gallons a mile

What do you do for a living?---- I'm a pimp

Can I sit in your car?------ Can I come over and sit on your couch tonight?

There are other rude and vulgar requests as well.:rolleyes:

DLB
08-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Can I sit in your car?------ Can I come over and sit on your couch tonight?John - Can I sit in your car? You can come sit on my couch. :)

Your post reminds me of a thread over at L4P - people asking exotic owners crazy stuff.

DLB

Rei86
08-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Questions and my answers when I'm in the Murcie.

LOL must be really bad for you and your LP:xyxthumbs:

And let me guess the random dude that comes up to you out of nowhere when you're pumping gas in the car and makes you almost have a heart attack?

Ted S.
08-09-2011, 03:03 PM
I try and stay out of detailing conversations with people a barely know. Those who know me know that I probably know much more than they do about car care. I like what Flannigan has to say.

However, I don't know how many times I have been in a situation where a person I hardly know is trying to school me on "great" products that have been out since way before I was born.

-"I Armor All my dash all the time to keep in nice and shiney" and streaky and greasy.

-"No, I have the dealers do my car, they use the real good industrial turtle wax."

-"You use Dawn?" ignoring my base that I use it to strip wax, "the dealer's detailer and/or mech told me that's the worst stuff that you can use on paint." Apparently the same people that provided them with their DISO option.Im the MAN

-I think Bobby mentioned it already, but when I say how often I wash/wax, a lot of people straight up freak out. Then I ask them if they ever wax/wax or use a swirl-o-matic.:props:

- "You dress your tires way too much Ted, they are going to fall appart." :xyxthumbs:

Dr Oldz
08-09-2011, 04:35 PM
My favorite question.... Jim, how do you always have such a clean truck?

My answer: I always clean it!

rider9195
08-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Comments I've heard through the years:

Clear coats protect the paint so I don't have to wax it anymore

I hear that ALL the time.