PDA

View Full Version : am I crazy?

timaishu
08-08-2011, 08:43 PM
So I had some mysterious water spots on my trunk that seemingly appeared out of nowhere. No rain, or sprinklers.

So I washed my car yesterday. Figured they would have wiped off but they didnt! It couldn't have been on there longer than a few days. I didnt know water could etch the paint that fast.

So I busted out my GG with a white pad and swirlx and and did a few light pressure(maybe a 1-2lbs) passes and they were gone. I did the trunk lid, upper rear fenders and about half of the c-pillara. Came out perfect, water spots disappeared.

I gave my car a complete two step compounding about 8 months ago(UC with orange pad and swirlX with white) and removed about 95% of the swirls. To this date, suprisingly, I have added no noticeable marring to the paint. Not a single swirl on my large panels.

So here is my question. It may be my head playing tricks on me, but I swear that the bits I polished out today look shinyer/deeper than the rest of the car. Would this be called "jeweling"? Does swirlx contain any oils?

I dont want to go over the entire car with swirlx and remove unnecessary clear coat just to even it out. But I want to replicate this effect on the rest of my car.

Should I just forget about it, or is there such a thing as a very light polish to increase the gloss like I "think" I am seeing but remove very little if any clear coat?

Flash Gordon
08-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Jeweling will definitly give you more gloss, and yes, your crazy :buffing:

Setec Astronomy
08-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Since you seem to like the Meg's OTC products, why don't you pick up some Ultimate Polish and "jewel" the whole car with that? That's not very agressive and you won't be removing any clear to speak of. You might even want to use a finishing pad, if you have one (red, blue, black etc.)

Buckskincolt
08-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Over time paint will dull, oxidize and become polluted from airborne contaminates. Most likely what you have accomplished is to refresh the areas you polished. unless your car is a garage queen and never gets used, a periodic freshing will give you a new look again. So no you are not crazy.:props:

OhTwoGT
08-09-2011, 10:35 AM
You just did a refresher pretty much. The finish on the detail you did 8 months ago is starting to dull and when you put some swirlx on there it brought it back to life. I would use some of that ultimate polish on the car and see how it looks.

alko
08-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Jeweling will definitly give you more gloss, and yes, your crazy :buffing:

but aren't we all?!?!?! LMAO!

timaishu
08-09-2011, 12:02 PM
I think Im going to give ultimate polish a shot.

What pad? I only have orange and white.

Setec Astronomy
08-09-2011, 12:08 PM
White.

qaz393
08-09-2011, 01:49 PM
fillers