PDA

View Full Version : Insight on some restoration type work, 300ZX

kowboydmac
08-08-2011, 12:59 AM
Haven't posted here in awhile, been busy with mechanical stuff of my 1990 Nissan 300ZX. Runs fine, just getting things working better :D

Anyway, to the point, I just got a set of aftermarket rims from Konig with a black finish and a blue ball cut insert, very distinct looking rims. I'm also going to be restoring the windshield cowls using Plasti-Dip or a Rustoleum spray with a Hammer finish, most likely the Plasti-Dip, and getting new door sill mouldings soon.

My current thinking is to get Colinite 845, Ultima Trim and Tire Guard and I'm curious if these can be used effectively on the surfaces I mentioned. I'm not sure what cleans Plasti-Dip well? Soap and water I assume, but I would like to use the UTTG on it. I would also hope the 845 can seal a nice coating onto the rims for awhile.

Could use some advice on some interior cleaners, but I'll be getting new fabric for the trim panels (hopefully Novasuede) and new seat wraps. Also need new trim pieces. Having some of the 20+ year old plastic pieces braking off makes me really want a product that can help prolong the life and durability of the new plastic pieces I'll be getting to replace the broken ones.

Anyways, thanks!

poweraid
08-08-2011, 02:38 AM
well I dont know how uttg will work on painted wiper cowl. uttg is some great stuff . I have no idea how bad or faded the cowl is . maybe get a pic in . uttg can bring back to life some pretty bad stuff. I'd say try it first before painting . wolfgang and poorboys makes good trim restorer also . i havnt tried the pb but its on my list. u can also use uttg and the Wolfgang on u wheels for protection also . otherwise you could apply a sealant and 845 to your wheels which is what I do . anytime u use a dedicated wheel cleaner it pretty much strips off u protection and will have to re-coat. but if u got them wheels protected all u gonna need is plain ole soap and water for a while .

kowboydmac
08-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Ah yeah my Digital Camera gave up on me a couple months ago, still have to get one sometime. Darn this busy life thing, lol.

Anyway, the cowls are pretty dinged up and they are missing the screen that goes underneath, IDK how that happened, so I'll be restoring those completely. I don't think UTTG can help by itself in this case because they are also over-sprayed from whenever the car was painted before.

By "pb" did you mean Plasti-Dip or another product?

Which sealant has worked best for you personally on your wheels? I'm on a budget considering everything else I have to do to the car, but I've read enough that UTTG and 845 provide a great bang for the buck.