PDA

View Full Version : Waxing and Sealing a car with NO Clearcoat?

Pages : [1] 2

bigaizsosexy
08-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Hey all,

I have a potential client who "rattle caned" his car with black paint. (spray paint) He wants me to wax and seal it to show the luster of the paint, but can you even wax a base coat? NO CLEAR, so it would essentially be doing nothing, or possible ruin my pads. I have never come across something like this from a client and I am completely left in the dark on this one. HELPPPPPPP

Andrew

Ted S.
08-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Hey all,

I have a potential client who "rattle caned" his car with black paint. (spray paint) He wants me to wax and seal it to show the luster of the paint, but can you even wax a base coat? NO CLEAR, so it would essentially be doing nothing, or possible ruin my pads. I have never come across something like this from a client and I am completely left in the dark on this one. HELPPPPPPP

Andrew

It's basically a one stage enamel. It might discolor your pad if the paint is loose and dusty. Just make sure you find out when he painted it. You may even want to polish it.

bigaizsosexy
08-07-2011, 01:19 PM
It's basically a one stage enamel. It might discolor your pad if the paint is loose and dusty. Just make sure you find out when he painted it. You may even want to polish it.

Thanks for the quick response.

Ted S.
08-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

No problem. Aerosol spray enamels have a gas out time like any other paint. I think most of them cure in about 5-7 days, but I'm not certain this includes the "gas out" time. I've used spray-paint a lot on automotive panels. The worst think I've ever done was to be ignorant of the existance of the paint having to gas out...

From my understanding, as soon as the paint cures, it is safe to polish.

bigaizsosexy
08-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Fantastic, your knowledge on this topic is superb!!
Thanks,
Andrew

Phinox
08-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Rattle can spray paint is basically a thinned out single stage enamel. It will take about 30 days to fully gas out and harden. After this time period you can wet sand, polish or wax it like a normal single stage paint. It is softer then single stage enamel as there is no hardener in it.

bigaizsosexy
08-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Thank you!! Another knowledgeable response!!

MatthewM
08-07-2011, 04:10 PM
I would like to see your results. Before, after, and 50/50s Please?!:Picture:

bigaizsosexy
08-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Matt,

I will definitely post them when I get the job.

Thanks,
Andrew

93fox
08-07-2011, 05:46 PM
i still never understand why people rattle their cars out.....:dunno:

Ted S.
08-07-2011, 05:52 PM
All "rattle can", Oscar. With the right prep and coordination, it can look good.:xyxthumbs:

93fox
08-07-2011, 06:34 PM
All "rattle can", Oscar. With the right prep and coordination, it can look good.:xyxthumbs:

Dosent come close to a spray gun and some actual base and clear...:poke::poke::poke::poke:

Ted S.
08-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Dosent come close to a spray gun and some actual base and clear...:poke::poke::poke::poke:

I completely agree. I'd rather use a gun than a can. But for a single stage paint, can's can look even, and flawless with some know how.

That being said, I'm still looking for a good spray gun to get in the future. I'm tired of buying spray cans...

93fox
08-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I completely agree. I'd rather use a gun than a can. But for a single stage paint, can's can look even, and flawless with some know how.

That being said, I'm still looking for a good spray gun to get in the future. I'm tired of buying spray cans...

hell even Single stage paints look awesome if properly sprayed. Its just something about rattle cans that dosent leave that perfect finish. What i mean by perfect finish is that there are some guns out there that can lay clear with nearly no orange peel and it looks like glass. Thats my whole point! :dblthumb2:

If you want a good gun it all depends how quick u want to finish. Sata's are fast guns and Iwatas are slow guns. personally i love iwatas.

Ted S.
08-07-2011, 06:49 PM
hell even Single stage paints look awesome if properly sprayed. Its just something about rattle cans that dosent leave that perfect finish. What i mean by perfect finish is that there are some guns out there that can lay clear with nearly no orange peel and it looks like glass. Thats my whole point! :dblthumb2:

If you want a good gun it all depends how quick u want to finish. Sata's are fast guns and Iwatas are slow guns. personally i love iwatas.

Your 100% right about orange-peel. I've always had to wetsand after spraypainting, then buff for a good finish.

I'll look into Iwatas. Don't want to mess with something fast.