PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Pro's

Pages : [1] 2

{FzS}BlacKMagicK
01-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Hi All, new to the forum, first post here.
Lemme start by saying...THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!:awesome:
But, you already knew that...lol

I have a question regarding my car, it's a black 01' Trans Am WS6 and as most of you may know, it has more curves than a roomful of Playboy bunnies.

My question is, would you still go with regular pads on this type of car, keeping the pad always at a 90 degree angle to the surface or would you go with something that has more give, say a lambswool pad with a bonnet on it?

I have recently purchased the PC7424 HD, and with it, a foam pad kit, lambswool pads/terry cloth and microfiber bonnets.
Also got Cobra Microfiber towels and some DP glass cleaner and microweave glass cleaning clothes. Got some Wolfgang deep gloss sealant and Pinnacle's Souveran paste wax.

Also just ordered the Shmitt mitt, some detailing brushes, and the XMT swirl removers and pad cleaning products.

I think that's everything, despite this, I am now thinking of switching to the Edge pad system.

Want to get the foam gun, probably order it this weekend.
As you can see, I am VERY serious about doing this right.
Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

nick19
01-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi All, new to the forum, first post here.
Lemme start by saying...THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!:awesome:
But, you already knew that...lol

I have a question regarding my car, it's a black 01' Trans Am WS6 and as most of you may know, it has more curves than a roomful of Playboy bunnies.

My question is, would you still go with regular pads on this type of car, keeping the pad always at a 90 degree angle to the surface or would you go with something that has more give, say a lambswool pad with a bonnet on it?

I have recently purchased the PC7424 HD, and with it, a foam pad kit, lambswool pads/terry cloth and microfiber bonnets.
Also got Cobra Microfiber towels and some DP glass cleaner and microweave glass cleaning clothes. Got some Wolfgang deep gloss sealant and Pinnacle's Souveran paste wax.

Also just ordered the Shmitt mitt, some detailing brushes, and the XMT swirl removers and pad cleaning products.

I think that's everything, despite this, I am now thinking of switching to the Edge pad system.

Want to get the foam gun, probably order it this weekend.
As you can see, I am VERY serious about doing this right.
Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

A few questions for you..

I'm assuming you didn't get the package with the Edge pads? Which pads did you end up getting?

Are you considering polishing the paint, or just applying sealants/waxes to your car? I see you have XMT, but you can't apply that with a bonnett. You will need to have a some-what aggressive pad, and a aggressive pad to polish the paint.

I would only use the lambswool pad underneath a bonnet, don't use the lambswool pad by itself. You will eat your poor paint with that pad.

On a curvy surface, when polishing, you need to apply pressure to the head of the PC, and work WITH the curves. The pad needs pressure to it at all times, no matter what the angle.

I hope this helps a little.. we just need a little more information.

Take care, and welcome.

-Nick :cheers:
5-Star Auto Detailing

{FzS}BlacKMagicK
01-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Thank you!

Definitely polishing it first.

The kit I got was the Wolfgang Euro Tech Smart BFPK-100 6.5" Dual Action Foam pad kit.

I know you can't use the lambswool pad by themselves, but didn't know you couldn't use the XMT on the terry bonnets, ok np.

Do you think I would be better off with the Edge pad system?

wytstang
01-30-2007, 01:09 PM
When I first order my LC pads the velco just couldn't hold on to the pad @speed 5.5 and 6 (pad and backing plate were new). It flew off just after 20min of me practacing with it, needless to say I saved up and went with the Edge kit (still on sale for $99) and used it for the first time a few weekends ago. Very very happy with the system, it self centers and it hold on to the pad. I'm no pro so i'll just let others answer you Q's, I just want to see the car ;) love the syling of the WS6

{FzS}BlacKMagicK
01-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Oh you'll see her alright...just not until she's gleaming, she's very shy about going in public without lookin' all pretty...lol

That velcro problem is enough for me.
Do you guys recommend the regular Edge flat pads or the wavy?

And where do you get the Edge 4" pads from?

Sorry about the Pro thing, didn't mean to intimidate anyone, just that compared to me, anyone would be...lol

abrcrombe
01-30-2007, 02:37 PM
4" pads are not available just yet. The flat pads are considered to have a little more cut than the wavy. Wavy works well with a rotary because it disperses the heat away from the paint. This is not a problem with the PC. Get the flat, I have them and they work fine.

Nica
01-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Hi, welcome to AG.

I too purchased the Edge 2000 pads, they work well. As for the difference between pads (flat Vs wavy) from what I have read here from others is that the wavy edge pads are better at dispersing heat compared to the flat pads. Not that the flat pads don't do a good job but apparently that is the difference. As far as performance that I do not know, I got the flats and they do well for me. I'm actually considering purchasing another set as a back up.

No pro either, but that's just my $0.02

ScottB
01-30-2007, 03:38 PM
One of my past cars was a 1995 R/A Transam. Black on Black. I loved the car, but hated it also. Always looked great, but was a beast in the rain with no modern traction additives. Added a Honker, Heads, SLP headers, and Dynomax exhaust. What a ride ...

I use to use and still would, the smaller 4 inch pads. Easy to get around all the swoops on the car and around the rear under the wing.

{FzS}BlacKMagicK
01-30-2007, 07:36 PM
One of my past cars was a 2005 R/A Transam. Black on Black. I loved the car, but hated it also. Always looked great, but was a beast in the rain with no modern traction additives. Added a Honker, Heads, SLP headers, and Dynomax exhaust. What a ride ...

I use to use and still would, the smaller 4 inch pads. Easy to get around all the swoops on the car and around the rear under the wing.

I'm sorry, what is a 2005 R/A TransAm? Never heard of it. Is this a Pontiac? As far as I know, all T/A's ceased production in 2002.

My T/A has traction control:)

That vette is gorgeous killer, where on earth did you get those flames??? Looks like that guys flames I've seen on TV, can't think of his name right now though. I know he has the killerpaint site though. You HAVE to be winning shows with that.

I was thinkin the same thing about the 4" pads but I can't wait.

I will definitely be ordering the Edge system with the flat pads when I get home from work, on dinner break right now.

Thanks everyone for your very much appreciated input. Detail on!!!

ScottB
01-30-2007, 08:05 PM
sorry senior moment ... 10 years fly by quite fast 1995. R/A - Ram Air, it was the production hood taken from the previous years Firehawk only. I had a pic in the Readers Ride Section of High Tech, need to try and find it and scan it.

Sorry no flames on my Vette (c6), she's a daily driver. I am sure you are thinking of Jims Z06 from Corvetteforum. Great guy and beautiful car (C5)

Nuke33
01-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Welcome to Ag.. i see all your questions were answered but i just wanted to say Hi

JSR
01-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Welcome to the forum!
Just a counterpoint on the LC pads. I have never had a separation issue with the LC pads even when spinning a fully wet 6.5 pad at 6 on a 3.5 plate to get the water out after cleaning. I really like the 4" pads and am waiting for LC to come out with them in the new style to get more oranges. As I can only do a full detail on a single car in a day I have also never had an issue with the two sided bit and I can usually put a circle inside a circle fairly easily so I have never had much of an centering issue either. You can always get the plate centered on the pad once and trace the plate on the velcro with a Sharpie pen.
You might want to learn to use the pads you have and use the $ on some serious carnuba (Souveran) to see how close you can get to killers shine
Just my opinion

Strokin04
01-30-2007, 10:59 PM
I like the LC pads that I have and have never had a seperation problem but, the Edge system is cool in that you get 2 pads in 1 and perfect centering of the pad everytime. Mike...

{FzS}BlacKMagicK
01-31-2007, 02:04 AM
sorry senior moment ... 10 years fly by quite fast 1995. R/A - Ram Air, it was the production hood taken from the previous years Firehawk only. I had a pic in the Readers Ride Section of High Tech, need to try and find it and scan it.

Sorry no flames on my Vette (c6), she's a daily driver. I am sure you are thinking of Jims Z06 from Corvetteforum. Great guy and beautiful car (C5)

Ah ok, a 95' makes much more sense, that's why there was no traction control. Entirely different animal though you know between those years. I have an LS6 (they ran out of LS1 blocks in 01' and 02' and had to start using the LS6 block) with an LS6 intake, the 95's had the LT1, also different suspension parts because I have the WS6 package which includes R/A, it's currently hooked up with Dynatech Supermaxx stainless steel headers and Borla Stainless Steel catback exhaust, shift kit and tranny cooler, a 3600 stall converter, NGK plugs and Taylor Spiro Pro wires, MTI lid box for the Ram Air (it's see through...nice touch) and the 'puter has been custom dyno tuned.

Now I'm having the senior moment...I thought that was your car with the flames. I must say though, for a daily driver she's gleamin!!!
I tell ya, there are areas on my car where even a 3" pad would be put to good use, guess I'll just have to do those areas by hand and hope for the best. Definitely gonna grab those 4" when they come out.

Any idea when they will have em?

Welcome to Ag.. i see all your questions were answered but i just wanted to say Hi

Hello to you too!!! Oh I have plenty more questions...just didn't want to flood the forum with 'em...lol

In fact I just thought of one right now. How does the Edge pad...how do I put this?
Spin properly? I mean without a backing plate...does it still move the way it should? In a random orbital fashion?

Hello abrcrombe and Nica, thank you very much for your input and for the welcome, believe me you are all helping me very much, there's nothing like leaning on experience to learn.

Hello JSR and thank you for the welcome, ya know I think I'll just keep the pads I have and get the Edge system too, then...muhahahhahahaaaaa...make a comparison. I'm one of those nuts that just has to know what the best is. I like efficiency and results, hell who don't? Well I have met many people that will stubbornly cling to something despite it being proven to be not as good as something else, but I'm not like that. It works better? Faster? or just plain gives better results but may be slower? That's what I like checkin' out.

As far as savin the dough for some Souveran paste...too late...lol...already bought it, you can't blame me, it was this forum's fault!!!...just look at that souveran paste thread!!! It's not my fault I tell ya, it was those gleamin beauties!!! I can't wait to use it, (it smells so good...you sure you can't eat the stuff?) BUT...patience pays, I want to get all the swirls out, or at least as good as I possibly can, then I'd like to layer, the Wolfgang sealant, then the Souveran, if anybody thinks I should layer something before those two even...please...suggest away.

Hey there Stokin04, I have to agree, the double sidedness, REALLY appeals to me too...very smart on Edge's part...very smart. Gotta hand it to those guys, they are really innovators.

Sorry if it seems like I'm ramblin folks, just detailin' has always been somewhat of a secret passion of mine, for so many reasons. It's nice to find I'm not alone. And it's definitely nice to find how far the whole thing has become. I had no idea.

Suddenly I feel like I'm at one of those anonymous meetings.

"Yes, my name is {FzS}BlacK MagicK and I love to detail cars, especially black ones 'cause they are the hardest) and I'm not afraid to admit it"...lol

"Let it all out son...let it all out"

"Well, I first became addicted to detailing when I opened my first can of Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax, the smell was intoxicating, the reflections it made drew me ever within."...lol

Woot!!! Guess what I just found outside my door, oh yea!!! my XMT swirl removers, pinnacle pad cleaner and conditioner and schmitt mitt are here!!!
I tell ya, Autogeek is extremely fast at their shipping, if anyone feels like they are waiting a long time for their shipments, I can vouch for them, by telling you, it ain't them, it's UPS. I'm in Florida, and it's like I hit submit, walk out the door and it's there...voila.

wytstang
01-31-2007, 10:21 AM
In fact I just thought of one right now. How does the Edge pad...how do I put this?
Spin properly? I mean without a backing plate...does it still move the way it should? In a random orbital fashion?
It has an adaptor you use in palce of the backing plate, here some vids from edge on how it works Dedication to Detail - Edge 2000 System Video - The Edge Buffing Pads and Polishing Pads (http://www.edgepads.com/video.htm)