PDA

View Full Version : What to use on wiper blades?

newb001
08-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Hi all. As the title says, what are you using on your wiper blades to reduce 'chatter' and reduce friction against whatever, if any, protection you have on your windshield?

Thanks!

CrownKote
08-07-2011, 06:48 AM
303 Wiper Treatment stops squeaking and skipping wiper blades. 303 Wiper Treatment reconditions hardening rubber blades and makes them glide like new. (http://www.autogeek.net/303wiptreat.html)

This stuff works great!

newb001
08-07-2011, 06:50 AM
303 Wiper Treatment stops squeaking and skipping wiper blades. 303 Wiper Treatment reconditions hardening rubber blades and makes them glide like new. (http://www.autogeek.net/303wiptreat.html)

This stuff works great!

Thanks! Any idea on the durability? How often do you reapply?

CrownKote
08-07-2011, 06:53 AM
I apply once every 3 months or so... One box will last you a year or more with no problems... My Level Two and Three customers get this unless the wipers are shot...

BobbyG
08-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Step 1

Clean the windshield as you normally would.

Twice annually I clean my windshield with Detailer’s Pro Series High Performance Glass Restorer. This products works very well and to make the job go much faster I use it along with a white pad on my Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher.

Detailer's Pro Series High Performance Glass Restorer 32 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/dp516.html)

Step 2

Clean the windshield once again to remove any product left. I like Meguiar's Glass Cleaner and a good quality Microfiber glass towel.

Meguiar’s Glass Cleaner Concentrate, 1 Gallon, dilutes to make an excellent auto glass cleaner. Meguiars Concentrated Car Glass Cleaner is great for (http://www.autogeek.net/mg12001.html)

Step 3

The only product I've found to hold up for long periods of time is Aquapel. This not only repels water and contaminates, it for the most part eliminates wiper blade chatter. Using a quality wiper blade is also important as the cheaper ones usually contribute to this.

Aquapel Glass Care, Rain repellent, aqua-pel, glass sealer, windshield repellent (http://www.autogeek.net/aquapel-glass-care.html)

BobbyG
08-07-2011, 06:59 AM

This stuff works great!

Chris,

This is some great information! I'll have to pick up some and give it a try....:props:

cmichael258
08-07-2011, 08:21 AM
I use Aquapel on the windshield and apply UTTG to the wiper blades once a month.

guess23959
08-07-2011, 08:39 AM
i remember my grandfather teaching me this on his car which then became my car (87 caprice classic which was in exc shape.) first use sand paper to get all the crap off the rubber strip. then use rubbing alcohol to thoroughly clean the rubber strip. and then optional for me was rain x on the window, and the blades. (for my new grand prix) what id REALLY like to do is paint the arms of the wipers cause they're all greyed out. i gotta look up how to take those off.

ScottB
08-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Aquapel on glass helps too ...

TornadoRed
08-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Every time I clean the windows with Griot's Window Cleaner, I finish by wiping the blades with the same cleaner.

Hoytman
08-07-2011, 09:38 AM
I've bought products for wiper blades before that are supposed to clean the wipers and stop the chatter. I no longer buy those products. I used to buy alcohol to clean them, but it's always a pain to carry any extrta liquid cleaning product with you. What do you do when you run out? I'll keep rain-x solution in the car, but that's it. Anymore, I simply keep the rain-x wipes. Good for the windshield, but not so good to wipe the blades with.

This if for cleaning on the go...it's never failed me as long as you have a quality wiper in the first place. I run Bosch, or Michelin wipers. I've also ran autozone winter blades for 1 1/2 yrs straight on my old truck that performed flawlessly provided I kept them clean.

I simply pull into the gas station to fill up. Then decide to clean my windows from the window cleaning box at the station. I grab some blue window cleaning towels and soak them with the fluid from the box. I then rub the blades of the wipers with this fluid (if fluid isn't real clean go to the next station) until there is no black gunk appearing on the paper anymore. Once the paper wipes clean you're good to go for at least 2-3 months. I used to not clean them again for this time period, but that habit it to clean them at every gas stop now.

I've gotten so used to doing this that I give the wipers a wipe every time I pull into a station now. Since I've built up to this habit I never have wiper blade issues anymore. Sure, I keep rain-x in the car, but sometimes I don't take time to apply it.
I will try aquapel soon, but there can be times when this stuff will wain and you need your wipers to work without a hitch.
Here's my advice for what it's worth.

I'd follow a regimine very similar to BobbyG's 3-steps he provided for you. Good solid advise. I do a similar version.

The only thing I do different is I continue to wipe my blades clean at every filling station stop. It's a habit now. I know with the rain-x, which I now use more often (or aquapel if you have it), and the habit of cleaning my blades every time I stop, I know I'll always have protection from rain...and won't have to worry about wiper chatter should I need to use the wipers. Just wipe them clean with the blue papers from the station and their cleaning fluid. Remember, just wipe them until you see no more black on the paper. You pay enough for gas, so use their fluid and save your money for other detailing products.

newb001
08-08-2011, 07:29 AM
I use Aquapel on the windshield and apply UTTG to the wiper blades once a month.

Does anyone else do this? Seems like a good idea as UTTG lasts for quite a while.

And thanks to everyone else for their input as well.

CEE DOG
08-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Absolutely, I use uttg on the wipers but it must go on extremely thin for this application. After an hour or so test that it's dry as well and buff dry if needed.

I also use 303 AP sometimes. I already have plenty of 303 AP so I use the 303 AP sprayed from a bottle onto a small applicator cloth rather than buying those wipes.

newb001
08-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Great, thanks!