PDA

View Full Version : Rust stains on fleetwood camper.

Pages : [1] 2

catfish07
08-06-2011, 09:15 PM
I have a 27' camper to do this Wednesday and it has some sprinkler rust on the side.. I was thinking CLR or rust-aid. Looking for a spray on rinse off deal.

BillE
08-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Just a question...Are you sure that is REALLY rust? Aren't the side panels aluminum? The struts on the shade are powder coated? The 'thing' below the reefer is plastic?

From the pictures that looks more like yellow road paint spray.

Bill

catfish07
08-07-2011, 06:45 AM
When I went to see it there were sprinklers on and they were hitting right where the stain is.. Its been sitting there a year.

skipper1
08-07-2011, 06:47 AM
That camper looks more like its been driven down a muddy red dirt road in Oklahoma. I'd wash it first then maybe some APC.

tuscarora dave
08-07-2011, 07:08 AM
you'll likely never find a spray on rinse off solution for that and if you do find one please post it here. That'd be a "Holy Grail" product for sure. Having said that, read the description on this stuff. Collinite Metal Wax # 850 (http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-metal-wax.html)
I know it's a metal wax but often times we as detailers need to go outside of the box to find solutions to some of the things we encounter. I have 2 bottles of this on the way as we speak to put a refreshed shine and protection on this. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/24961-grumman-olson-aluminum-body-truck-oppinions-please.html
I'll post up a few photos and a review of the product after I get this job done.

BillE
08-07-2011, 07:12 AM
When I went to see it there were sprinklers on and they were hitting right where the stain is.. Its been sitting there a year.

Aha...that makes sense. That's gotta be some hard a.. water...LOL.

To answer your original question...off the top o' my head (it's too early yet), try some APC (your choice of brand) and give that a go first. I'm kinda thinking, clean then try some AIO to see how tough it is.

Just trying to stay with the KISS method.

Good luck, keep us all informed on how it comes out (or off).

Bill

tuscarora dave
08-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Just a question...Are you sure that is REALLY rust? Aren't the side panels aluminum? The struts on the shade are powder coated? The 'thing' below the reefer is plastic?

From the pictures that looks more like yellow road paint spray.

Bill
That is definitely rust. Those panels are usually gel coat fiberglas very similar if not exactly like the finish on most fiberglass boats and can typically withstand a wool pad and rotary polisher which is what is likely the answer to removing this stain.

Plan b Detail
08-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Funny that you ask this. Yesterday, my friend stopped by the house as I was cleaning out my mobile setup. He asked what he could use to get rust off the side of his truck from the sprinkle constantly hitting it. I know Optimum Power Clean 3:1 cleans everything else so I put it to the test to remove it. IT WORKED AMAZING! I just sprayed on the spots and rubbed with a microfiber and BAMN gone!

CrownKote
08-07-2011, 07:33 AM
I would go with an APC of some sort... Then KAIO... I had one that was similar (not nearly as bad and that cleaned it up very well...

catfish07
08-07-2011, 11:54 AM
I have used "on & off" before on boats and fiberglass & gelcoat and it worked instantly.. I was just wanting to find something that works like it but isn't so toxic. It's rude stuff!

Ted S.
08-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Most APCs are fairly toxic, unless they are specifically marketed otherwise. If you have some ARO laying around, give it a try on a small spot after hitting it with water.

Maybe some CLR you can get locally (I'm not sure it they have a "safe" version yet, but I've seen two different versions of the product at Kroger).

Perhaps some Iron X will work?:dunno:

CrownKote
08-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Most APCs are fairly toxic, unless they are specifically marketed otherwise. If you have some ARO laying around, give it a try on a small spot after hitting it with water.

Maybe some CLR you can get locally (I'm not sure it they have a "safe" version yet, but I've seen two different versions of the product at Kroger).

Perhaps some Iron X will work?:dunno:

I would second the ARO... CLR is some nasty stuff... Works great but NASTY!

Ted S.
08-07-2011, 12:37 PM
I would second the ARO... CLR is some nasty stuff... Works great but NASTY!
;)

catfish07
08-10-2011, 01:33 PM
So for follow up with this job...being in the Tampa area, a couple of hours ago after Noah's ark already left and it stopped raining...

I tackled this RV. I ended up using iron-out at 1/2 cup per quart mix. One go at it knocked the heck out of it and a second application wiped it out.. All in all I am happy.. (customer will see it Thursday)

Thanks for the ideas!!

tuscarora dave
08-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Dang!! Nice results!! Iron Out huh? Where do you get the Iron Out from?