PDA

View Full Version : Souverans Paste Wax Application

Pages : [1] 2

BlackCoupe
04-29-2006, 08:25 PM
Can someone point me to a thread where the application of Souverans Paste Wax is described in detail? I understand it is to be removed before it dries, which seems weird. Can you apply it with the DA on 3? I guess if it is going to come off before it dries, you would not be able to take it off with the DA? Do you buff it ant ANY point? How about after it has had a chance to "cure".

OCDetails
04-29-2006, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't suggest using a machine to apply a paste wax. It won't improve the look at all doing it that way. The easiest way of applying a paste wax is by hand. Just wipe it on in straight lines in the direction wind moves over the car when possible. Then just buff it off with a microfiber towel when you are done. It doesn't dry hard as a rock or anything. You can wait a few minutes or a few hours and it will buff off with the same amount of ease. And waxes don't 'cure'. They just coat the car and sit there. They aren't like sealants that need to 'cure' before applying additional layers.

ASPHALT ROCKET
04-29-2006, 10:28 PM
I use a foam applicater, front to back motion, then use a microfiber towel to
remove while wax is still wet. Also use a very thin coat. After that stand back
and enjoy the best shine you will ever see on your vehicle.

Totoland Mach
04-30-2006, 06:33 AM
BlackCoupe: I've used the DA to apply Souveran paste. I remove the wax from the jar and place it on the inside of the lid for a base. Then, I wipe the polishing pad over the wax and apply to the car on a 3 speed setting. I like this method for a uniform coverage.

Typically, I do a panel at a time and buff with a mf towel.

Easy to do and I think you'll like the results.

Totoland Mach

BILL
04-30-2006, 06:51 AM
"quote: They just coat the car and sit there. They aren't like sealants that need to 'cure' before applying additional layers

how much time between coats of sealers as u.p.p.???

pogo123
04-30-2006, 08:46 AM
My bottle of UPP says "additional layers can be applied after 24 hours."

BlackCoupe
04-30-2006, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't suggest using a machine to apply a paste wax. It won't improve the look at all doing it that way. The easiest way of applying a paste wax is by hand. Just wipe it on in straight lines in the direction wind moves over the car when possible. Then just buff it off with a microfiber towel when you are done. It doesn't dry hard as a rock or anything. You can wait a few minutes or a few hours and it will buff off with the same amount of ease. And waxes don't 'cure'. They just coat the car and sit there. They aren't like sealants that need to 'cure' before applying additional layers.

So you are saying:

1. You don't get a more uniform application of paste wax with a machine.

2. Applying paste by hand is easier than with a machine.

3. A wax doesn't harden.

4. You can wait several hours before removing Souverans, notwithstanding what the instructions say.

ScottB
04-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Souveran paste was designed to be removed almost immediately after application, dont challenge it, just do it. You will be amazed at how easy it comes off and how well it looks. Following manufacturers directions is the best advice. Take a foamy and swirl around the top of the Souveran 2-3 times. Wipe on the car in straight motion. Finish the entire panel, and go back and remove with a nice thick micro. Bliss !

Using any polisher with most waxes and sealants is just a waste of material. It will look no better and last no longer. It will however require much more product for the same outcome.

BlackCoupe
04-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks guys.

FloridaNative
04-30-2006, 10:43 AM
It was my understanding that carnaubas do need a "cure time". When I was recently in the Driver's Seat drooling over a container of Souveran, the guy in the store told me that you have to wait 24 hours between coats for it to cure. And also Steve from Poorboy's says that you have to wait one to two hours (preferrable two) between coats of Natty's. If there is a consensus out there about cure times and carnaubas I sure would be interested in knowing.

ScottB
04-30-2006, 10:53 AM
It was my understanding that carnaubas do need a "cure time". When I was recently in the Driver's Seat drooling over a container of Souveran, the guy in the store told me that you have to wait 24 hours between coats for it to cure. And also Steve from Poorboy's says that you have to wait one to two hours (preferrable two) between coats of Natty's. If there is a consensus out there about cure times and carnaubas I sure would be interested in knowing.

The problem with carnuabas doesnt seem to be curing time specifically, it is the point of diminishing rewards. Its clear with some sealants that additional layers work well in adding gloss and reflectivity. But with carnuabas there seems to be no "real" measurable gain in adding more than one layer. Doesnt mean you cannot, and doesnt mean it wont provide for more uniform coverage (maybe you missed a spot), but quantifiably it doesnt seem that carnuabas need to be layered. There gloss, depth, and warmth are almost immediately apparent.

BlackCoupe
04-30-2006, 10:59 AM

I PM'd you.

BlackCoupe
04-30-2006, 11:02 AM
The problem with carnuabas doesnt seem to be curing time specifically, it is the point of diminishing rewards. Its clear with some sealants that additional layers work well in adding gloss and reflectivity. But with carnuabas there seems to be no "real" measurable gain in adding more than one layer. Doesnt mean you cannot, and doesnt mean it wont provide for more uniform coverage (maybe you missed a spot), but quantifiably it doesnt seem that carnuabas need to be layered. There gloss, depth, and warmth are almost immediately apparent.

Would you ever consider topping Souverans with anything, like Meg's #7 for a short term (day or two) "pop"? Or Meg's 26?

OCDetails
04-30-2006, 12:33 PM
So you are saying:

1. You don't get a more uniform application of paste wax with a machine.

2. Applying paste by hand is easier than with a machine.

3. A wax doesn't harden.

4. You can wait several hours before removing Souverans, notwithstanding what the instructions say.

1. That is what I'm saying. You would have to take the wax out of the jar to even get it on the pad anyway. It's not going to do better than doing it by hand in this particular instance.

2. Much easier. You'll spend more time trying to get wax on the pad and then putting the wax back in the jar than you would if you just do it by hand. I've tested this and doing it by hand is significantly faster.

3. I didn't say that. I said it won't get so hard that removal would be that difficult. It's just a wax and not cement. If you were to leave it on for a couple hours (there isn't any reason to do that, by the way) then it still wouldn't be that hard to buff off.

4. You can do whatever you want. I wouldn't suggest waiting several hours, but if you did it wouldn't matter. I wax the car and then buff it off after I have dressed the tires. That way any overspray from the tire dressing gets buffed off with the wax. There isn't any reason to wait to buff off a wax. Sealants benefit from a bit of drying time, but not waxes.

OCDetails
04-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Would you ever consider topping Souverans with anything, like Meg's #7 for a short term (day or two) "pop"? Or Meg's 26?

I'd never top Souveran with anything. In my opinion if you are using Souveran then it should be the top wax. Why top it with something inferior? besides, most liquid waxes and glazes have a certian amount of solvents in them that would likely damage if not remove the Souveran.