PDA

View Full Version : oye i need an "on the premisis coach" lol

guess23959
08-05-2011, 05:28 PM
so i found my dad's old craftsman "polisher". its a 9-10" disk with a white styrofoam pad and he had some different colored terry cloth wraps in there. i remember seeing them frisbee away and i would be cracking up and i like velcro better. anyways, im not sure if i should use this only because its a dinosaur and its like using a vibrator with a motor and no elbow grease on my car instead of a polishing tool. i mean the only elbow grease there is, is the weight of the machine itself. if i press down a bit, it just vibrates and bounces on the car. with the compound im afraid specially since i dont know how much clear is there to work with. now i never had a problem with my 87 caprice cause that was steel. but my hood is carbon fiber, my roof has a glass sunroof, and my spoiler is carbon fiber also. my point, if its going to vibrate, i dont need stress cracks and paint cracks and shattering/cracking sunroofs and whatnot. im wondering if i should use it or be safe and go by hand and get an arm workout. its definitely hard to control when doing the sides, and with the side skirts and door moldings.

now i know the portercable and the makita, and the black and decker are all good machines but i dont have the money for a new machine so im just asking for opinions. thx in advance.

ScubaCougr
08-05-2011, 08:03 PM
If I've understood your description, this may help:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/22196-tob-traditional-orbital-buffer-aka-wax-spreader.html

If it's noticeably bouncing up and down, you're probably right not to use it. Maybe you can convince your dad it's broken and help you with a new one.

Allen Anderson
08-06-2011, 01:56 AM
In the cheap $30 dollar buffers defense I have removed swirls water spots and oxidation with one. It was not easy mind you and I've never used a nice polisher to compare it too, but it did do the job.

Then again mine doesn't bounce up and down violently on the paint as your describing.

And as Mike said in his thread you linked, mine was a gift from my well meaning fiance. She should of just bought me the PC.

guess23959
08-06-2011, 07:40 AM
thx for the article, very insightful. i mean its not like it bounces up and down it vibrates and doesnt have alot of torque and im just worried that the vibration will crack my hood, my spoiler or even the glass on my roof. i think i might go at it by hand just to be safe. i mean ya cant screw around with carbon fiber cause thats $$$. i mean what confuses me is that craftsman has always been my top brand in tools but for it to be "out reviewed by a porter cable" or any of the other top brands, just confuses me. heres a pic of the same machine i have i found on the net. its not mine but i have the same make/model.
http://images.shopgoodwill.com/134/6-9-2011/sa797950369-ks.jpg