PDA

View Full Version : Griot's Paint Prep question

chris11le
08-05-2011, 04:25 PM
I want to use Paint Prep to clean the surface of my paint to help determine where OptiCoat has bonded to it.

I notice the instructions just say to let it dwell then wipe/wash it off.....should I be doing something after that as well?

I basically want to make sure the surface of the paint has no oils left from polishing and is perfectly clean, then test beading/sheeting on it to see if I can determine if the Opti Coat bonded correctly, evenly, etc.

I was going to use Power Clean 3:1 and do the same thing but the Paint Prep was on sale so I figured Id give it a shot, especially if its really safe enough that I dont need to do another wash on the car afterwards.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Capa1970
08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
I believe that Griot recommends washing the area to ensure that all of the paint prep is off otherwise you will have bonding issues.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Wash the car, rinse, spray on paint prep, work in with a sponge, let dwell for a few minutes(in the shade), rinse off.....done.

Rsurfer
08-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Couldn't find Griot's Paint Prep, but I have a bottle of Griot's Pre-Wax Cleaner and it say's nothing about washing or rinsing after using.

KneeDragr
08-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Couldn't find Griot's Paint Prep, but I have a bottle of Griot's Pre-Wax Cleaner and it say's nothing about washing or rinsing after using.

Thats different stuff, to remove polishing oils.

I use the paint prep like they suggest, wash, spray on wet car, rub into paint using their applicator, rinse. You can tell when you got it all when no foam/bubbles rise off with direct spray.

Car is squeaky clean afterwards.

Capa1970
08-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I have both products. The Paint Prep bottle states: "apply by spraying onto the paint surface. Let stand for 2-6 minutes, keeping surface damp. Rinse WELL with water. Then wipe surface dry...."

WRAPT C5Z06
08-06-2011, 03:17 AM
Thats different stuff, to remove polishing oils.

I use the paint prep like they suggest, wash, spray on wet car, rub into paint using their applicator, rinse. You can tell when you got it all when no foam/bubbles rise off with direct spray.

Car is squeaky clean afterwards.
:iagree:

Both products are different, but do a great job for their purposes.

Jeff120
08-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Whats the difference between these Griots products and IPA?

Bunky
08-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Whats the difference between these Griots products and IPA?

Griot's Pre Wax Cleaner does not contain alcohol. It is some citrus based cleaner.