PDA

View Full Version : Polishing oils under sealant

lee1dew
08-05-2011, 01:27 PM
It's commonly recommended here that an IPA wipedown be done between the polishing and sealant steps to strip the polishing oils that may prevent a sealant from bonding to the paint surface properly. Has anyone tested this theory by doing a 50/50 on a panel, one side with the polishing oils removed and one without, and seeing how it actually affects a sealant's performance and longevity?

poweraid
08-05-2011, 01:51 PM
I don't even question doing a wipe down . I'm sure someone has done a comparison . if it's that recommended to do wipe down before applying Lsp , then I say you should do it . doesn't take long , and there are better products to use than ipa.

truckbutt
08-05-2011, 03:29 PM
This may be a stupid question, but hey, I'm not proud. If you put down a coat of glaze and then do an IPA or mineral spirits wipe before the sealant, aren't you going to lose some of the benefits of the glaze?

rider9195
08-05-2011, 03:32 PM
This may be a stupid question, but hey, I'm not proud. If you put down a coat of glaze and then do an IPA or mineral spirits wipe before the sealant, aren't you going to lose some of the benefits of the glaze?

From my understanding, yes you will. When I finishing washing and drying a car, I do a IPA wipe down to make sure all LSP's and glazes are clean off the surface before polishing.

lee1dew
08-05-2011, 03:37 PM
From my understanding, there are benefits to leaving polishing oils on the paint (especially for daily drivers and other cars where perfection is not required), like filling in minor swirls, darkening the paint, etc. If sealant bonding isn't really affected by the presence of polishing oils, then I would think that it's better to leave them on for an improved appearance.

rider9195
08-05-2011, 03:42 PM
From my understanding, there are benefits to leaving polishing oils on the paint (especially for daily drivers and other cars where perfection is not required), like filling in minor swirls, darkening the paint, etc. If sealant bonding isn't really affected by the presence of polishing oils, then I would think that it's better to leave them on for an improved appearance.

If you are not looking for perfection, apply a glaze before applying your LSP. Most glazes are made to be topped with a sealant. I don't think polishing oils are the best thing to leave on the paint and then top with a sealant.

lee1dew
08-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Take Autogeek's description of Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, for example:

Meguiars Ultimate Polish, meguiars car polish, meguiars polishes, mcguire's (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-polish.html)

"Meguiars Ultimate Polish removes light imperfections and leaves paint wax-ready."

Later in the description, it says:

"Used on paint in good condition, Meguiars Ultimate Polish removes light swirls and water spots and deepens the paint color with rich polishing oils."

This implies that you're supposed to leave oils on the paint and wax over it.

poweraid
08-05-2011, 03:51 PM

correct . if u use a glaze do not do a wipedown as this will remove the glaze properties. a glaze contains fillers to hide light imperfections, and does not last long . IMO if u correct polish u vehicle there is not need for a glaze. wax-sealant over the glaze. I'm surely not no pro but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night. jk . but really I learned a ton from this forum and I'm not always correct but I love to learn . no such thing as stupid questions. let's hope a more seasoned pro will reply and give a better rundown on glazes .

Rsurfer
08-05-2011, 03:56 PM
From my understanding, yes you will. When I finishing washing and drying a car, I do a IPA wipe down to make sure all LSP's and glazes are clean off the surface before polishing.

That's an unnecessary step as the polish will remove any lsp. Claying before polishing would be better than an IPA wipe down, IMO.:buffing:

buddhadog
08-06-2011, 03:10 AM
It's commonly recommended here that an IPA wipedown be done between the polishing and sealant steps to strip the polishing oils that may prevent a sealant from bonding to the paint surface properly. Has anyone tested this theory by doing a 50/50 on a panel, one side with the polishing oils removed and one without, and seeing how it actually affects a sealant's performance and longevity?
That would be a nice test for someone to do !!

HeavyMetal
08-06-2011, 02:30 PM
I tried it once on my RAV. Did one front qtr. I saw no diff. I'm not really surprised since the MSDS shows that IPA is not a solvent for any of the components. Perhaps even more interesting is the fact that several components in the polishes are the same as those in the sealants and waxes.