PDA

View Full Version : 98 F150 clean up

ga84gw
08-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Okay folks, I know you probably get tired of the routine questions from newbies but I'm going to ask one anyway.

I have a White 98 F150 with clear coat that I want to clean up. It is a daily driver, 60,000 miles, never been garaged and never been waxed or otherwise detailed. I have just done a full detail on my Jeep with the Klasse twins and realize just how bad the truck looks now. There is some oxidation/general haziness to the paint from being in the south GA sun all these years. I will be doing all the work by hand. Naturally I plan to wash and clay the vehicle but after that what would you recommend? I want it to look good but I am not expecting perfection. It has no noticeable(though I am sure there are) scratches or swirls. As long as I don't reveal scratches/swirls from the clean up, I am not planning on doing any further correction.

What would you recommend to clean up the paint? I tried a little spot of KAIO but I think it will take something more aggressive(unless I want my arm to fall off!). I don't have other products so I know I will have to order whatever is recommended.

Thanks!

flamed03vert
08-05-2011, 06:46 PM
You plan on doing it by hand?

ga84gw
08-06-2011, 01:59 AM
Yes

flamed03vert
08-06-2011, 07:53 AM
something like Megs #6 would probably do a pretty good job by hand. You could always top it with a glaze and then a sealer if you are looking to conceal instead of doing full on correction.

CrownKote
08-06-2011, 08:59 AM
I would recommend trying Megs Ultimate Compound... It is some great stuff but I have never used it by hand... It does finish very nice generally ready for LSP when done by machine IME...

ga84gw
08-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Sounds good so far. Anyone else have any different suggestions....or want to second these suggestions?