PDA

View Full Version : Mike, can you wise this writer up?

Pages : [1] 2

rocketman7
08-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Just reading Sept Car & Driver, and article by Mike Sutton: How to: Polish Your Car Like a Pro. First issue I had with it is recommending the DeWalt rotary and Orbital sander to, one assumes, folks that are not experienced in this field, rather than a DA polisher. His methods are in disagreement with most tips and instruction I've read on the 2 detailing forums I frequent, including a song and dance in the intro to the article making reference to the rotating wheel "works by temporarily heating the paint's clear coat until it softens into a viscous liquid that fills in and dissipates blemishes". Final result b4/after pics are obviously taken out of the sun or bright light to "prove" the correction. His step by step doesn't even mention claybarring, although it's included in his "Mini gearbox" following the step by step. It's very disappointing to read such poorly researched info in such a mainstream auto publication, and I can just imagine the feedback from an inexperienced user after burning his hotrod's paint up.

I thought it might be far more appropriate for them to hear feedback from a respected "name" in the detailing profession than from a "newb" such as myself.

You up for it?

Glenn

rider9195
08-04-2011, 05:32 PM
That killed my eyes to read that. I usually write into them lots and will be sure to this time.

Kristopher1129
08-04-2011, 07:27 PM
What's even worst than that...is the "instructional" videos found on youtube, haha. Some of them are pretty funny.

Shane731
08-04-2011, 07:42 PM
What's even worst than that...is the "instructional" videos found on youtube, haha. Some of them are pretty funny.

Can you please direct me to their channel?

Porsche Pilot
08-04-2011, 07:47 PM

Don't watch em Shane. You will want to claw your eyes out.

Shane731
08-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Don't watch em Shane. You will want to claw your eyes out.

Oh come on. Can they be much worse than Jose Zuniga?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJqntJjn9I]‪How to Clean and Detail a Car : How to Wax a Car‬‏ - YouTube[/video]

Porsche Pilot
08-04-2011, 07:58 PM
You pulled a Zuniga! Well played my man, well played.

mdb917
08-04-2011, 08:09 PM
:iagree: Well played indeed.

ShaunD
08-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Oh come on. Can they be much worse than Jose Zuniga?

‪How to Clean and Detail a Car : How to Wax a Car‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJqntJjn9I)

That's not even funny Shane. My chest hurt the whole time I watched that. It was like a train wreck. I just couldn't turn away even though I wanted to.:bolt:
Poor expert village.:(

slickooz
08-04-2011, 08:32 PM
haha this made my day. :)

How can I become an Expertvillage instructor?

S2K
08-04-2011, 08:54 PM
And I spent all that time looking for a fliptop cap for my 845 and all I had to do was poke a hole in the side of the bottle.

jonn127
08-04-2011, 09:11 PM
lol, I was just going to say, did he just get the wax from the side of his bottle. wow, thats good stuff.

Jenn1270
08-04-2011, 09:17 PM
And I spent all that time looking for a fliptop cap for my 845 and all I had to do was poke a hole in the side of the bottle.

Go figure.

And of course he put the rag on the ground when he was finished before he started buffing. ARGH

Jenn

Kristopher1129
08-04-2011, 10:56 PM

Oh there's plenty. There's not one direct channel. There's more idiots out there making instructional videos than there needs to be, ha.

Mike Phillips
08-05-2011, 12:41 PM
I thought it might be far more appropriate for them to hear feedback from a respected "name" in the detailing profession than from a "newb" such as myself.

You up for it?

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Sorry for the late reply... just too many other projects going on right now it's hard to get to the forum for very long...

I have the article here on my desk and the information in it is as horrendous as the swirls on this car...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/742/Horrendous005.jpg

I know it's hard to write an in-depth article with the amount of space a magazine will give you but I agree, the how-to information is only going to lead anyone that follows it to instilling swirls into the car's paint at a minimum.

A very good friend of mine always taught me to take the high road and along those lines I don't really want to cut the author down because it could be that's all he knows? What he wrote was his best stab at helping people get a show car finish.

That's why sometimes on the forum I post something like this,

Pro Detailers that hang out on online detailing discussion forums like this one tend to know more than detailers, or in this case writers, that don't hang out on detailing discussion forums.

The point being is we all have access to all the newest "information", as well as products, pads, tools etc.

Apparently the staff at Car & Driver gave the article their stamp of approval so whoever's in charge of approving articles probably doesn't know any more than the author? (Just a guess)

I would be glad to write an article for Car & Driver but that's another project for another day...

Lets hope that anyone that reads Car & Driver does a little more research than just trying the tips and techniques shared in what is actually a very short and scant article on using a tool that actually requires both head knowledge and practice before this type of the tool can be used both safely and successfully.

If Mike Sutton ever reads this forum, I would invite him to our studio where I would be happy to spend a day with him showing him some of the really cool tools besides the rotary buffer and also some pretty cool pads, products and techniques for using the rotary buffer.

:)