PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Static Product Recommendation

Buckskincolt
08-04-2011, 03:55 PM
I have a motor home that has heavy molded plastic front and rear caps and needless to say any dust that passes within 10 miles of it, sticks. You can imagine when I buff it .... Kind of like rubbing a balloon, everything clings. They are like dust magnets. So what is the best product to help curb the static electricity? A QD or something like that would be awesome so it can be refreshed easily but I sure need something. If you have a suggestion other than a QD or Spritz I want to hear that too. FK 425 is supposed to have anti static properties but it has little to no effect ...... I'm all ears!:help:

Thanks ~ YaleFeed back please

Ted S.
08-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Any way of grounding the plastic?

FUNX650
08-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Atoms have either a positive (more protons), negative (more electrons), or neutral (equal # of protons and electrons).
How conductive materials are depends on their atoms' ability to either give-up or gain electrons. Enough of that. :)

Due to the molecular make-up of "plastic" materials, they are considered to be purely non-conductive. Therefore it is very easy to disrupt or change this molecular make-up with the slightest amount of friction, heat or pressure and cause it to obtain a charge...static electricity. The plastic on your motorhome becomes "charged", if you will, while traversing up and down the highway and attracts the 'neutral' dust/dirt particles.

If you can control this conductivity, you can theoretically control the static electricity. Moisture and anti-static sprays/liquids are a few ways to accomplish this feat.. Keeping the plastic on your motorhome 'wet' continuously is not feasible, as I see it. An anti-static spray/liquid may provide what your looking for.

Even though the detail type sprays you mention will work briefly, (until they dry/flash-off), you'll probably require a more dedicated anti-static spray/liquid. The anti-static sprays/liquids are usually made so that when they've dried/flashed (solvent carrier) they leave a protective coating that will be difficult to generate static-electricity through.

Here is one anti-static spray/liquid:

3M? Sprays (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Static/Home/Products/ProductCatalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GDE40I2KG4TI91816_nid=1NW5XG9W7BbeN J80MXG463gl)

If you go to your local electronics/electrical supply houses they have others. Asking their advice may also be of assistance.

Without delving further into "The Sciences", in some way, I hope this helps.

Bob

Buckskincolt
08-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks Bob,

Wonder what that 3M stuff will do to the paint finish? I guess I just need to make it so slick the dust won't stick!:pc7424:

FUNX650
08-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks Bob,

Wonder what that 3M stuff will do to the paint finish? I guess I just need to make it so slick the dust won't stick!:pc7424:

Are the "heavy molded plastic front and rear caps" painted?
I didn't get that from your post. I assumed you were talking about unpainted 'plastic' similar to other 'plastic' trim parts/pieces. But, it may not make a difference anyway.

Is the 3M spray safe for your motorhome's paint? You could contact 3M for details. I've used 3M's, as well as other suppliers' anti-static sprays, on many different vehicle surfaces, as well as for home and work...especially where ESD static control is critical. You, though, may wish to do otherwise.

It was only a suggestion. :)

Bob

Buckskincolt
08-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Are the "heavy molded plastic front and rear caps" painted?
I didn't get that from your post. I assumed you were talking about unpainted 'plastic' similar to other 'plastic' trim parts/pieces. But, it may not make a difference anyway.

Is the 3M spray safe for your motorhome's paint? You could contact 3M for details. I've used 3M's, as well as other suppliers' anti-static sprays, on many different vehicle surfaces, as well as for home and work...especially where ESD static control is critical. You, though, may wish to do otherwise.

It was only a suggestion. :)

Bob
Hey Bob,

Thanks for you insight. Yes it is for my motor homes paint. This thing has full body paint and the ends are a vacuum formed one piece of some type of plastic or fiberglass then they are painted base coat, clear coat just like a car. I've been working on getting all the deal installed brush scratches out of this beast and I've got to tell you those guys who detail RV don't charge enough. I did find an awesome one step combo that is working pretty well. I'm using the Meguire's MF system, using the cut disc's with the finish wax. It's working very well but that's a lot of sq ft to do with a 5" pad.:buffing:
Using slow are speed like compounding paint. The finish wax leaves a very nice slick finish and gets most of the DISO out. I tried XMT 360 and OPT Poli-seal and neither even came close working with cyan HT pads. I'll do someresearchh on the 3M products and see what I can find ..... After all they are a sponsor of #16 Greg Biffle and he is from here in the NW .... :dunno:

S2K
08-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Atoms have either a positive (more protons), negative (more electrons), or neutral (equal # of protons and electrons).
How conductive materials are depends on their atoms' ability to either give-up or gain electrons. Enough of that. :)

Due to the molecular make-up of "plastic" materials, they are considered to be purely non-conductive. Therefore it is very easy to disrupt or change this molecular make-up with the slightest amount of friction, heat or pressure and cause it to obtain a charge...static electricity. The plastic on your motorhome becomes "charged", if you will, while traversing up and down the highway and attracts the 'neutral' dust/dirt particles.

If you can control this conductivity, you can theoretically control the static electricity. Moisture and anti-static sprays/liquids are a few ways to accomplish this feat.. Keeping the plastic on your motorhome 'wet' continuously is not feasible, as I see it. An anti-static spray/liquid may provide what your looking for.

Even though the detail type sprays you mention will work briefly, (until they dry/flash-off), you'll probably require a more dedicated anti-static spray/liquid. The anti-static sprays/liquids are usually made so that when they've dried/flashed (solvent carrier) they leave a protective coating that will be difficult to generate static-electricity through.

Here is one anti-static spray/liquid:

3M? Sprays (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Static/Home/Products/ProductCatalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GDE40I2KG4TI91816_nid=1NW5XG9W7BbeN J80MXG463gl)

If you go to your local electronics/electrical supply houses they have others. Asking their advice may also be of assistance.

Without delving further into "The Sciences", in some way, I hope this helps.

Bob
:goodpost: and very accurate! Thank you for the very informative post!:xyxthumbs: