PDA

View Full Version : regular wash or Dawn before a clay/polish/seal?

flyinion
08-04-2011, 02:05 AM
Going to do another clay job, did one for the first time ever on the car and ever myself at all earlier this year, and then polish out some swirls etc. this weekend. I've heard of using Dawn if you intend on stripping old wax and such for a job like this, but wanted to double check on if this is really a "best practice" or should I just stick to the regular wash and let the polishing process remove any leftover wax?

Ted S.
08-04-2011, 02:09 AM
Going to do another clay job, did one for the first time ever on the car and ever myself at all earlier this year, and then polish out some swirls etc. this weekend. I've heard of using Dawn if you intend on stripping old wax and such for a job like this, but wanted to double check on if this is really a "best practice" or should I just stick to the regular wash and let the polishing process remove any leftover wax?

Did you use wax or sealant? or both?

flyinion
08-04-2011, 03:40 AM
Previously "big detail" was just wash, clay, pinnacle paint cleanser, and a couple coats of pinnacle SS II with a followup coat about 6 weeks ago. I will be using the Wolfgang DGPS this time and in the future topped with the SS II however so if that changes anything it would still be good to know for the future.

HeavyMetal
08-04-2011, 06:07 AM
It's kinda your choice. Many feel that Dawn is necessary, but the polishing will obviously strip off any wax or sealant. Some say you should strip with Dawn or something else so you don't "clog" your pad with the old wax/sealant. However, seeing as these coatings are literally microns thick, the rationale that they will clog a pad seems a bit thin.

BobbyG
08-04-2011, 06:22 AM
Washing with a Dawn solution should remove allot of what's ever left. Since you're claying and polishing the surface you'll certainly remove what's ever left.

I tried a new product that's specifically designed for prepping the finish prior to applying a sealant or wax called Griot's Paint Prep. This product is designed to remove all of the old waxes, poly-silicones, and oils so fresh applications of products can properly bond to the surface.

Griot's Garage Paint Prep, Griots Paint Cleaner, Prewax cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-paint-prep.html)

In the past I've used mineral spirits which works pretty well too. I haven't done a side by side comparison but I suspect that they're performance is similar.

DuPont Prep-Sol

DUPONT PREP-SOL CLEANER - Prep-Sol 3919S is a cleaning solvent specifically designed for initial surface preparation before painting. Works well on the following difficult to remove elements: wax, grease, silicone, dirt, tar, insect remnants, road film and pin stripe adhesives.

Marine Supplies Store, Marine supply, Boating supply, Equipment (http://www.merrittsupply.com/DuPont-Prep-Sol-3919S-Cleaning-Solvent-Gallon-PN-3919S-P3428.aspx)

kaboom10
08-04-2011, 06:54 AM
What you remove first won't wind up in the clay.

jfelbab
08-04-2011, 07:07 AM
+1 on the Prep-Sol. I've been using Prep-Sol since the mid 70's for stripping wax, sealant and silicone and it never fails to do the job quickly and easily.

alko
08-04-2011, 07:10 AM
I tried a new product that's specifically designed for prepping the finish prior to applying a sealant or wax called Griot's Paint Prep. This product is designed to remove all of the old waxes, poly-silicones, and oils so fresh applications of products can properly bond to the surface.

Griot's Garage Paint Prep, Griots Paint Cleaner, Prewax cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-paint-prep.html)

Bobby...how'd you like the paint prep? I got some with the BOGO.

S2K
08-04-2011, 07:10 AM

Bobby, How did that Paint Prep work out? I just got some, any tips on using it?

flyinion
08-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Hmmm, I think I'll go ahead and try the Dawn then. This weekend is a "hard date" for doing the job so I don't have time to order something and wait for it to get here.

embolism
08-04-2011, 02:07 PM
dawn won't hurt anything
I've even spritzed Zep Citrus at 4:1 directly on the wet paint before I came right after with the sponge and dawn. The water beading on the car went away right after I spritzed it. Pretty cool.

I've since moved on to OPC @ 3:1 for doing this though as someone had a bad experience with Zep, and once would be too much for me...

Ted S.
08-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Hmmm, I think I'll go ahead and try the Dawn then. This weekend is a "hard date" for doing the job so I don't have time to order something and wait for it to get here.

Since you used a Nuba, Dawn should be fine, just go about .75 ounce a gallon, and add some high lubricity soap to the mix. Mix well. Let the dawn dwell on each panel for a moment after agitation, then agitate again. Always give each panel a quick rinse to check your progress; water will set on a "clean" panel for a few moments before beading/sheeting. Small spots that repel water almost instantly may need further attention.

You may still want to use a paint cleanser, just to be sure.

flyinion
08-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Yeah I thought about just using the paintwork cleansing lotion I have, but that has fillers in it which would be pointless when I'm about to polish the paint.

SRTSean
08-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Bobby...how'd you like the paint prep? I got some with the BOGO.

Bobby, How did that Paint Prep work out? I just got some, any tips on using it?

I'm not Bobby, obviously, but I've used the Paint Prep myself. It seemed to work very well, but I personally found that you use in excess of 1/2 bottle to cover one car which makes it not very cost effective IMO. I personally won't purchase it again.