PDA

View Full Version : An uncommon Opti Coat application

TLMitchell
08-03-2011, 09:25 PM
UPS rolled up the other day with a tube of Opti Coat 2.0. I'd been in the garage cleaning the tar and crud from the underside of the fenderwells of my truck after being unable to avoid some highway construction. Mucho Tarminator and clay later they were once again spotless. Not bad for a 3 year old DD that didn't get a thorough cleaning until I got hold of it 5 months ago.

On past trucks I usually sprayed the painted surfaces under the rear wells with undercoating because you just can't keep 'em clean on a DD. On this one after the first cleanup I decided to try sealing 'em with 845 and see what happened. Yeah, they were easier to keep clean but it usually took a vigorous round with a wheel brush and APCs or ARO that stripped the protection.

After reading a few Opti Coat threads and seeing some videos of how easy contaminents came off a treated finish I decided to give the OC a try under the fenderwells. Cleaned 'em again with OPC and after they dried I gave 'em a dose of OC. After all the concerns some had about application, curing, high spots etc I was pretty surprised at the ease of use of Opti Coat. If you've used Opti Seal yoiu may as well have used Opti Coat, they go on the same. On white you probably ought to have a pad in one hand and a Brinkmann in the other for even coverage.. you can barely see it going on.

Naturally, I was unable to avoid another construction area the other day and gritted my teeth listening to the tar, chipcoat and asphalt bits rattling up under the wells. Drove a few days in the rain and crud before I was able to wash the truck. When I got to the rear wells I figured I was in for another marathon session with Tarminator and clay because they were black!. :doh: Wish I would've got some pics of the worst. However, after giving them a blast with the hose I was surprised at how much crud rinsed off!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1224/medium/IMG_0081_Medium_.jpg

Instead of reaching for the stout brush and a bunch of cleaners I grabbed a utility mitt and lightly dipped it in the wash bucket and gave the fenderwell a wipe. I experienced a smooth, lubrous-feeling, slick wipeoff and after rinsing I was rewarded with this!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1224/medium/IMG_0079_Medium_.jpg

Quick and easy and results you can't argue with! :xyxthumbs:

I recall a post where Chris @ Optimum either replied or was quoted as saying he uses Opti Coat on "everything but tires". Once I get the time for the perfecto polishing session that's what the DD is getting. Paint, glass, trim... the works. Yeah, I'll be depriving myself of the joy of constantly trying new sealants and polishes and waxes... which isn't much of a joy on an extended cab, full size pickup. Looks like I'll have some time to do other things instead. :)

TL

Jenn1270
08-03-2011, 09:41 PM
What else would you rather be doing? Spending time with the Mrs., taking the kids to the playground at chick-fil-a, or something like that. You are on the wrong forum if all of those things come in front of detailing your vehicle.

Just kidding of course...no matter what...family always comes first

Jenn

Dr Oldz
08-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Nice post! OC does have some definate advantages and this looks to be one of them!

TLMitchell
08-03-2011, 10:42 PM
What else would you rather be doing? Spending time with the Mrs., taking the kids to the playground at chick-fil-a, or something like that. You are on the wrong forum if all of those things come in front of detailing your vehicle.

Priorities, which may explain why I'm unmarried with no kids. Im the MAN

Actually, with that spare time I was thinking more along the lines of riding motorcycles and chasing bimbos. Or perhaps chasing motorcyc.... ah... nevermind! :D

TL

sohail99
08-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Nice!!! Love the fenderwells!

But I got mine rubber coated at the dealership! :(

Jenn1270
08-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Priorities, which may explain why I'm unmarried with no kids. Im the MAN

Actually, with that spare time I was thinking more along the lines of riding motorcycles and chasing bimbos. Or perhaps chasing motorcyc.... ah... nevermind! :D

TL

Nothing wrong chasing bimbos...we all have our priorities... If I wasn't married, I would so be chasing college boys in true cougar fashion

Jenn

TLMitchell
08-04-2011, 09:49 PM
If I wasn't married, I would so be chasing college boys in true cougar fashion

Current trends of both older and younger women have me convinced I was born 30 years too early. :doh:

TL