PDA

View Full Version : DD Maintenance Routine?

Pages : [1] 2

JRivers
08-03-2011, 05:57 PM
In general, what's the best way to maintain a DD in good condition? And what products to use to protect the paint? (polish/wax, just wax, just sealant, All-in-one, etc)

I'm basically asking for a general maintenance routine, lets say wash every x weeks, clay every x weeks, wax every x weeks, etc.

What works better for you?

Thanks for sharing :xyxthumbs:

qaz393
08-03-2011, 06:01 PM
In general, what's the best way to maintain a DD in good condition? And what products to use to protect the paint? (polish/wax, just wax, just sealant, All-in-one, etc)

I'm basically asking for a general maintenance routine, lets say wash every x weeks, clay every x weeks, wax every x weeks, etc.

What works better for you?

Thanks for sharing :xyxthumbs:

wash every 1 week
clay every 3-6 months
wax depends on what you previously used. before all the previous protection disappears

Rei86
08-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Wash
Iron X
Clay
Wash
Polish
Wash
Opti Coat

Don't worry about doing any of that every again for one~five years but normal washing.

FUNX650
08-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Following is a schedule I attempt to adhere to. :)

Weekly...weather permitting:

Wash....2 or 3 bucket method
Dry.......after each wash (air supply, leaf blower, pat down w/MF/detail spray)
Detail Spray/Spray Wax....then follows.
LSP....when/if needed

Yearly:

Clay......once each year
Compound....once each year if need be
Swirl remover/Polish...once after each clay/compound session
LSP

Quarterly:

Polish....(more often when deemed necessary).
LSP

Note: Paint Decontamination....once every three to five years?
Wash...after Decontamination..then follow with yearly session

I do plan to change-up this routine somewhat, though, when I finally make the decision to apply Coatings to the DD's. :D

Bob

flyinion
08-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Wash
Iron X
Clay
Wash
Polish
Wash
Opti Coat

Don't worry about doing any of that every again for one~five years but normal washing.

:( I'd love to do that last step myself, if only I had known about it or it had been available or whatever 2 1/2 years ago. I don't really want to seal in my paint chips lol.

My maintenance routine has been to wash weekly (or no more than every other week, sometimes I get busy), QD every day on horizontals when I have time. I haven't done more than two prep/wax sessions in the last year since I started doing this car by myself, though coming up this weekend I will be doing one. Instead of just wash, clay, paint cleanser, wax I'm changing it up. Replacing paint cleanser this time at least with Wolfgang finishing glaze or TSR if needed, then Wolfgang DGPS for longer term protection and wax topper just because I like the look of carnauba :)

Rei86
08-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Meh OC/Cquartz/Aquartz/C1 wouldn't have prevented the rock chips but it sure as heck would make cleaning your car and keeping crap off of it easier.

arack
08-03-2011, 07:57 PM
I finally took the plunge and did Opti Coat this weekend. My DD is a 2011 Acura TL. I am very impressed so far.

The rain just seems to roll off and disappear off this car now. The shine is very good. I am going to wait to wash it until this weekend. I would highly recommend this coating to anyone with a DD. The time saved will allow me to keep the interior pristine.

I plan to do weekly washes and claying every 6 months or so. This should be it for me for quite a while.

dwengier77
08-03-2011, 08:09 PM
I finally took the plunge and did Opti Coat this weekend. My DD is a 2011 Acura TL. I am very impressed so far.

The rain just seems to roll off and disappear off this car now. The shine is very good. I am going to wait to wash it until this weekend. I would highly recommend this coating to anyone with a DD. The time saved will allow me to keep the interior pristine.

I plan to do weekly washes and claying every 6 months or so. This should be it for me for quite a while.

It is my understanding that once you use opti coat it is not recommended to use a wax over it. I was considering doing this with my car but i really love to wax it.... it is my Zen moment, with three small kids and a dog and a wife i really need the time to myself. i am thinking of doing this to my wife's van so i don't have to worry, but i will wait till it is back from the body shop. if i am wrong about the opti coat please let me know:dblthumb2:

Rei86
08-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah Chris@OPT posted once that its like throwing that product in the trash since it won't bond properly onto OC. So if you enjoy putting a product on your car after you wash it (and who doesn't on this forum?) than this thing isn't for you.

dwengier77
08-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Yeah Chris@OPT posted once that its like throwing that product in the trash since it won't bond properly onto OC. So if you enjoy putting a product on your car after you wash it (and who doesn't on this forum?) than this thing isn't for you.

Thanks Sean, i thought so, it will be good for the minvan, but for my car i really love the glow of freshly applied wax, and the energy the car radiates after a good wash and wax....ok i am a little nuts!!!:dblthumb2:

Jenn1270
08-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks Sean, i thought so, it will be good for the minvan, but for my car i really love the glow of freshly applied wax, and the energy the car radiates after a good wash and wax....ok i am a little nuts!!!:dblthumb2:

You're not nuts. We all feel the same way. We wouldn't be here if we didn't.

Jenn

JRivers
08-04-2011, 11:20 AM
wash every 1 week
clay every 3-6 months
wax depends on what you previously used. before all the previous protection disappears

I used Poorboy's EX Sealant W/Carnauba, so I figured maybe 3 months til the next coat.

JRivers
08-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Following is a schedule I attempt to adhere to. :)

Weekly...weather permitting:

Wash....2 or 3 bucket method
Dry.......after each wash (air supply, leaf blower, pat down w/MF/detail spray)
Detail Spray/Spray Wax....then follows.
LSP....when/if needed

Yearly:

Clay......once each year
Compound....once each year if need be
Swirl remover/Polish...once after each clay/compound session
LSP

Quarterly:

Polish....(more often when deemed necessary).
LSP

Note: Paint Decontamination....once every three to five years?
Wash...after Decontamination..then follow with yearly session

I do plan to change-up this routine somewhat, though, when I finally make the decision to apply Coatings to the DD's. :D

Bob

Thanks Bob, that's a challenging schedule but a great idea :props:

FUNX650
08-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks Bob, that's a challenging schedule but a great idea :props:

You're Welcome. Weather, my physical being, and often my mental state, have some bearing on me adhering to this schedule. Also, I have charts hanging on the garages' walls to keep "score". That, and a friendly reminder, sometimes, from the better half. :)

Bob

erock
08-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Ha Ha I know how you feel about the permanent coatings....great in theory, but then how will I try all the latest cool stuff on the market...lol...my names Eric and im a shinohalic.