PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Pages : [1] 2

Nica
01-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Okay I'm new and still working on my Volvo (yes I know it's taking me for ever) but it's all the weathers fault...honestly it is. So the weather got nice for this past weekend (January 27 & 28) and I decided to go try to finish off the Volvo. I'm using the PC with Edge 2000 pads. I've been getting really good resutls with orange pad with XMT#3. I did the hood, the trunk, the roof, the driver side fender. Then I moved on to the driver side door panels and that is when all this happend.

At first I didn't pay much attention to what looks to me like a "smudge". When I wiped the area clean I noticed that I could not remove the "smudge". I was getting worried so I left it alone. It looks like I burnt the paint but I just went out to the garage and I started to scrape the "smudge" with my nail and it comes off no problem. So what exactly is this? I didn't damage the paint (thank god) but now I'm curious what it is.

Take a look at these pictures.

(Driver side passenger door. Look at the door handle and just above the wheels)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/Nica03151979/Volvo%20pictures/PICT2266.jpg

(same thing as previous picture but closer look)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/Nica03151979/Volvo%20pictures/PICT2263.jpg

(Driver side door. Same kind of mark)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/Nica03151979/Volvo%20pictures/PICT2261.jpg

(Driver side mirror. Same mark on the edges)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/Nica03151979/Volvo%20pictures/PICT2260.jpg

Oh yea all the white stuff you see is dust from the polish, after I thought I burnt the paint I just put everything down and stepped away from the vehicle :(.

So, it looks like I didn't burn the paint but just courious what I did.
If some of you know what this is and know how to get rid of it please let me know as I'm stuck right now. The only way I get remove this is by scraching it off...well so far.

abrcrombe
01-29-2007, 03:32 PM
So it didn't etch the paint at all in the shape of the residue? Could it be built up polish?

justin_murphy
01-29-2007, 03:39 PM
I know exactly what it is. It's polish rubbing against the glue from the edge of the EDGE pad. Take some isoprophyl alcohol and an MF towel and I bet it comes right off. It can also be caused by to much pressure and a gummed up pad mixed with heat.

Let me know.

abrcrombe
01-29-2007, 03:47 PM
I thought the glue on the pads don't melt until like 400 degrees F?

Surfer
01-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Yeh it's Polish, even Opitmum or any other polish will do it sometimes, when the pad is at a certain angle it seems to blob caked in polish. Spray your pad witha qd'er and it'll be better.

Nuke33
01-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Seems like people are haveing some problems with edge pads lately

Gary Sword
01-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Nica, try just rubbing it out by hand.

justin_murphy
01-29-2007, 04:06 PM
It's not the glue alone. Its the glue rubbing the polish. Let me make this very clear.

justin_murphy
01-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Yeh it's Polish, even Opitmum or any other polish will do it sometimes, when the pad is at a certain angle it seems to blob caked in polish. Spray your pad witha qd'er and it'll be better.

This is what is happening.

Nica
01-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Okay, good I was freaking out last night. My wife wanted to see the progess and I shut the garage door as fast as the garage door opener would let me do it hahahaa.

What Justin is saying sounds right because I did the hood, the trunk and driver side fender with out cleaning the orange pad and when I moved on the the door panels that's when I should have cleaned out the pad....um...it looked good to me hehehehe. Well after I saw that I did go clean it but didn't come back to try it.

Gary, I have tried rubbing it with my bare hand and it does come of no problem. This time it just fet rough.

Surfer, I use the pad conditioner (XMT) then apply the polish. Is that what your talking about? I'm assuming so.

So how do I prevent this from happening? Well besides keep the pad clean. Is it to much presure? I had this happen on the hood a little but not as bad as what you see on the pictures.

Nica
01-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Oh yea, thank you all for your help. You guys make this place ROCK BABY!!

Gary Sword
01-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Gary, I have tried rubbing it with my bare hand and it does come of no problem. This time it just fet rough.

I did not mean with your bare hand but I'm glad it came off easy for you.

Nica
01-29-2007, 04:31 PM
I did not mean with your bare hand but I'm glad it came off easy for you.

Oh..:) ...mmmm...how did you mean it?

ltoman
01-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Oh..:) ...mmmm...how did you mean it?

Ewww, Nica, you are being soooo gross!!
Gary is not like that!!
Hope you enjoyed the process.

Lauren:applause: ROFLMAO

justin_murphy
01-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Nica,
Just take a MF towel and dampen it. Fold it in quarters like you would to buff with. Lay it on a flat clean suface. After you get done polishing a panel, take your PC with the pad on it and place it over and on the damp towel. Spray the pad first with some QD. Then turn the PC on at about #4. Press down. This will clean your pad for the next panel and prevent build up of polish.

One of my TOP SECRET tricks!