PDA

View Full Version : Which product to use

bobwhite1
01-29-2007, 02:47 PM
I have a cranberry (deep red) 2002 Saturn SL1 that I decided to keep since it is now paid off and in excellent running condition, well maintained and of course getting close to 42 mpg which helped my decision. The paint has about 2 or 3 places the size of a dollar bill that appear to have been rubbed with a rough cloth and look slightly smudged. Also, there are some light scratches from where shrubbery rubbed while backing out of a driveway, not deep. Most of this damage is not very appearant, but I want to remove it if I can. I am considering using the Klasse All-in-one Kit because any swirling is light. If anyone has experience with the product I would like to hear about it and if someone has a better idea let me know. TIA

ltoman
01-29-2007, 03:09 PM
I have a cranberry (deep red) 2002 Saturn SL1 that I decided to keep since it is now paid off and in excellent running condition, well maintained and of course getting close to 42 mpg which helped my decision. The paint has about 2 or 3 places the size of a dollar bill that appear to have been rubbed with a rough cloth and look slightly smudged. Also, there are some light scratches from where shrubbery rubbed while backing out of a driveway, not deep. Most of this damage is not very appearant, but I want to remove it if I can. I am considering using the Klasse All-in-one Kit because any swirling is light. If anyone has experience with the product I would like to hear about it and if someone has a better idea let me know. TIA

Hey BobWhite1,
Woah- we nave a berry red 2 saturn relay, 2006, our like umpteenth Saturn. That baby will go to 300k if you take care of it!
Anyway, we picked up a used 2001 SW2 in gold - that dang thing was covered in swirls and never saw a wax in its life. And I mean it is pretty hard to see swirls on gold metallic paint! I used xmt 2 and 1 and it looks great. Of course if you can catch the marks with your nail they are too deep to remove. Otherwise, the Saturn has a nice clearcoat to work with and you should be able to fix it or at the very least, improve it.
I don't think AIO will do it. That has never worked on swirls for me - tried it.
I would recommend you go xmt 2 then 1. Do you have a pc or are you trying to do it by hand? You will get far better results a lot more easily with the pc.
You could use PB ssr 2 and 1 as well if you wanted.
Personally, I don't find the fillers to be too good. You want to buff those down so they look better. Does that help any? I am married to Mr Saturn!!
Our wagon looks way better - wish i took before and afters of the hood. it was impressive, even on that color paint where you can pull nearly anything.

Welcome too, btw!
Lauren:grouphug:

abrcrombe
01-29-2007, 03:09 PM
You are getting a kit with a porter cable correct? AIO is more of a chemical cleaner as opposed to an abrasive cleaner. The rough cloth/slightly smudged areas may be oxidation. The scratches may be removed with AIO, but I think you would have better success with other polishes. XMT and Poorboys give excellent results, and will help make your car look newer!

ltoman
01-29-2007, 03:12 PM
You could clean the entire car with AIO after a wash, as a prep. That might help its looks in the long run, but not with swirls. Would remove old buildup and such. You know, a pre-wax cleaner. But you want to remove the swirls first.
It should be easy on a Saturn. Nice clear coat. No yellow pads!

Nuke33
01-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Id go with Optimum line they work great for me!

ltoman
01-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Id go with Optimum line they work great for me!
Don't laugh but I mixed a little xmt 2 with some ohc on part of the SW2. It did not look any different to me than the part with just xmt 2 so I let it be, rather than breaking it down longer.
:Picture: :Picture: :Picture:

justin_murphy
01-29-2007, 04:54 PM
I would get the the Optimum kit or DP kit. Then a tub of Max Wax or Souveran for the topper.

ltoman
01-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Well there you go. A myriad of options, all of them good!
Ask Kllr what he thinks - he usually knows right away too. I just know about Saturns because I own two and I have been working on them, and I have a lot of products. It becomes a matter of to each his own... DP is good! Never tried the swirl remover tho.
Adios!
Good luck and let us know what you choose.
Lauren

bobwhite1
01-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Many thanks to everyone for the great suggestions, however I still have some questions about the abbreviations used. This type of thing is rather new to me. Lauren will a regular car buffer work as well as a PC or at least be adaquate. I'm going to check out the products suggested and stay away from the AIO. The scratches are barely visionable in fact at first glance after using an Amor-all wax you can hardly see unless you look very close, however I know that their there. The swirls show up in the sun more then any other time. I guess thats natual, in the shade hardly anythings shows. Anyway bare with me as I learn. Bob

abrcrombe
01-29-2007, 06:48 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2700&highlight=abbreviations

Hopefully that will help with the abbreviations.
Most likely the armor all wax has a lot of FILLERS in it. It does not remove the swirls, it only hides them. Polishing will remove them and allow you to use waxes that will accentuate the paint instead of fill it with oils. And yes, swirls are easier seen in the sun, but hopefully soon you won't have any!

ScottB
01-29-2007, 07:02 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/poorboysworld.html

look at the two kits on top, one with buffer the other w/out. All you need is to add the soap. Polishes will remove the marks and Nattys Blue is nice over metallics. You can add some clay and a sealant as wanted at later dates.

ltoman
01-29-2007, 11:57 PM
:iagree: