PDA

View Full Version : Removing a Decal from Visor

1flyfisher
08-02-2011, 07:45 PM
On my GMC there are these seat belt warning stickers in spanish on both visors.

Anyone ever tried to remove one and what was the result?
How do I remove these damn things?

jsgntulok
08-02-2011, 07:47 PM
I just learned to live with the darn things.

BobbyG
08-02-2011, 07:49 PM
While I've never tried I've read many posts where others have and either destroyed the visor completely or if they did get it off the visor looked like crap..

If I did anything I'd try to color over it matching the fabric or leather as closely as possible. It has to look better than that ugly label.

Plan b Detail
08-02-2011, 07:53 PM
I have done it in my 2011 F-350 truck. It is not hard at all! Maybe a 15 minute job. Here is a list of the steps.

1. Heat with blow dryer for around 5 minutes.
2. Peel the sticker off.
3. You will be left with a white residue where the sticker was located, just wipe down with Mineral Spirit. If it is stubborn which most seem to be, use a brush to scrub.
4. Do a wipe with an interior cleaner.
5. Dress with interior cleaner.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to PM me. Hope my .02 help :dblthumb2:

BobbyG
08-02-2011, 07:59 PM
I have done it in my 2011 F-350 truck. It is not hard at all! Maybe a 15 minute job. Here is a list of the steps.

2. Peel the sticker off.
3. You will be left with a white residue where the sticker was located, just wipe down with Mineral Spirit. If it is stubborn which most seem to be, use a brush to scrub.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to PM me. Hope my .02 help :dblthumb2:

Interesting!

I've always been afraid to try this fearing my results would be similar to those I've read... I may just give this a try! :props:

DaHen
08-02-2011, 08:07 PM

Yes, most interesting.

Which interior cleaner did you use?

S2K
08-02-2011, 08:13 PM

2. Peel the sticker off.

Are your visors vinyl or cloth?

Elite Pro
08-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Cover 'em up:D

FunnyVisorDecals.com - #1 in Funny Visor Warning Decals, Prank Magnetic Bumper Stickers, and Prank Envelopes! (http://www.funnyvisordecals.com/funnyvisordecals.html)

Plan b Detail
08-02-2011, 09:22 PM
I've done it on a few now and they are all vinyl. I use this cleaner that I get at my wholesaler. I would imagine you can use any APC diluted.

DaHen
08-03-2011, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the info.

Just might be worth while to pick up old visor at the salvage yard and practice on it.

VTHokie
08-03-2011, 06:33 AM
I've removed the warning stickers from three sets of fabric visors ('97 F-150, '06 F-150, '08 Altima Coupe) using Oops all purpose remover and cleaner. I took the visors off, dampened a rag with the Oops, wiped it on the stickers (may have to repeat a few times so it works through), and the sticker just starting curling off the visor. Wipe off any excess adhesive with the rag. Followed up with a rinsing and interior cleaner because the Oops doesn't smell too good! Its worked good for me so far, but those are the only three cars I've tried it on so try it at your own risk!

CrownKote
08-03-2011, 07:07 AM
This is how the Bimmer guys are doing it and it tends to work well: How To: Remove your airbag decals. - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511035)

maxniman
08-03-2011, 07:57 AM

2. Peel the sticker off.

:iagree: I removed them from the visors on my C6 using steps 1-3. very easy to do. heat and start pulling slowly from a corner

1flyfisher
08-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the info
I think I will try and remove the visors and then try a hair dryer. My visor is cloth/material which is light beige.
So I don't want to screw up.

Removing the glue seems to be the hard part.
I just bought some Folex spray to do the headliner, but maybe something else would work better?
What glue removers wound anyone recommend?

I don't want this to come out lousy but if I have a bad spot maybe I'll just get one of those funny stickers to cover it up if there is a mark or mess left behind.