PDA

View Full Version : single product for multiple uses

timaishu
08-02-2011, 02:32 PM
I dont know if this is against the rules to link to a different website threads. If it is feel free to lock this thread..

This thread by Barry Theal on autopia was really eye opening.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/120595-wasted-money-rant.html

More or less, it seems the consensus is for practical reasons, its best to buy an APC and dilute it down to various ratios for different uses than to buy X-product for X-surface and repeat.

This never occured to me, I was in the buy carpet cleaner for carpets, quick detailer for clay lube etc camp. The guys over there made some good point, you should give it a look through.

Im thinking of getting a gallon of APC and diluting it for wheels/tires, engine, and wells. Would APC be safe on paint for door jams and bugs? I burn through quick detailer cleaning those.

Thinking ONR or another waterless wash solution for lube, quick detailer, maybe windows.

What do you guys think?

silverfox
08-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Barry is spot on...

embolism
08-02-2011, 03:11 PM
OPC is paint safe at any dilution apparently

Setec Astronomy
08-02-2011, 03:17 PM
That's an old thread and I somehow think you'll get a multi-dimensional answer now, if you get my drift...

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
08-02-2011, 03:38 PM
APC can be used for tons of things

DaGonz
08-02-2011, 04:48 PM
APC: all purpose cleaner. I dilute it for what I need it for.

Many times I will clay using a fresh solution of soapy water and save the QD for final detailing.

jfelbab
08-02-2011, 04:54 PM
One product that I find multiple uses for is Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax, aka, Xpress Spray Wax in their Detailer line. It does a decent job on the paint and also makes a very nice exterior vinyl trim dressing as well as a glass treatment. On vinyl, its non-staining, lasts a long time and doesn't run down the side of the vehicle in the rain like so many do. It also does a great job on glass giving it a RainX like property. In this regard it doesn't streak and makes the glass real easy to clean. No wiper chatter either. One product that does a lot of things well.