PDA

View Full Version : customer wants a one year sealant warrantied

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

fredcandetail
08-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Hey guys got an usual call from a customer who asked me if I would 3 step his car and warranty my LSP for one year ...
I went into a long conversation about care and longevity of products and why they last etc etc and he insisted that if he was going to drop $350 for a 3 step on a truck he wanted it to last and give him something in writing.
So #1 he aint getting nothing in writing because this bozo will probably never wash his truck with the care required to maintain the finish OR will run it through the friction washes and it will be over in no time ...
So as Cquartz and OC2.0 claim year long protection would the manufactures of these products back me up if I were to warranty the work?

Kristopher1129
08-01-2011, 10:43 PM
I got a call like that once before. I told the customer that I'm not responsible for how they maintain their vehicle. There's simply no way I can assure they maintain their finish properly.

Plus, the longevity of a product relies on many things. All of which you can not control. The $350 is for the hours you're going to spend correcting his paint. The sealant is simply to protect that.

If I were you...I would go the OC 2.0, or Cquartz route and charge him extra. After all, he's the one worried about the longevity...so he shouldn't mind dropping a bit more to keep the finish right? Right! lol

qaz393
08-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Hey guys got an usual call from a customer who asked me if I would 3 step his car and warranty my LSP for one year ...
I went into a long conversation about care and longevity of products and why they last etc etc and he insisted that if he was going to drop $350 for a 3 step on a truck he wanted it to last and give him something in writing.
So #1 he aint getting nothing in writing because this bozo will probably never wash his truck with the care required to maintain the finish OR will run it through the friction washes and it will be over in no time ...
So as Cquartz and OC2.0 claim year long protection would the manufactures of these products back me up if I were to warranty the work?

give him the paper with many disclaimers, weekly maintance washes required (paid weekly seperate from the 350), does not cover scratches from normal ware and tear (people clothing brushing on car, ETC) and collision damage.

TornadoRed
08-01-2011, 10:51 PM
I think Opti Guard has a guarantee. :dunno:

PAR Detailing
08-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Be prepared to pay or fix his car if he doesn't maintain it. Just the fact that he demands it bothers me enough to pass on the job. Even with the coatings nothing is bullet proof. I would pass on the money, I just get the feeling he is trying to get something for nothing.

qaz393
08-01-2011, 10:54 PM
scratch resistance coating is not scratch proof. diamonds might be one of the hardest thing but they are not scratch proof.

New Image
08-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Be prepared to pay or fix his car if he doesn't maintain it. Just the fact that he demands it bothers me enough to pass on the job. Even with the coatings nothing is bullet proof. I would pass on the money, I just get the feeling he is trying to get something for nothing.

I have to agree on this. Sounds a little suspect.

Buckskincolt
08-01-2011, 11:14 PM
IMHO this customer is looking for a "lifetime" paint correction and protection. Run don't walk from these type of customers. The only Guarantee here is you will be dealing with him long after the $350 is gone and he will do nothing but bad mouth you all over. It's better to tell him you don't offer that service.

Perfections
08-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Tell him that service cost 2k and when he needs a repainting you have the money to cover it :)

Flash Gordon
08-01-2011, 11:31 PM
I would give him the 1 year warranty on the LSP.....but that it only covered the LSP. Each wash would be $100 ;)

ThirdgenTa
08-01-2011, 11:33 PM
I can already tell that this guy is just looking for a free detail toward the end of the year. I probably wouldn't bother with him if I were you because you never know what he's gonna use. For all you know hes going to take it to the automatics and come back to you saying there are swirls and the wax is gone.

JonMiles
08-02-2011, 12:11 AM
I'd give him a warranty but in the fine print include "if for any reason the vehicle leaves the garage the warranty is void" If you put one of those unbelievably long disclaimers at the end of the warranty paper, he will probably skim over it and then you will will be protected by law from any failure in sealant caused by him moving his car. Just make sure to write down the vehicle mileage and put a small piece of tape under his wheel to insure he doesn't move.

Tyrod
08-02-2011, 02:16 AM
You could give him a legitimate warranty. Just make it conditional to him bringing the car to you weekly for washes where you would charge him your normal car wash fee. If a week is missed, warranty void. If he complies with that you prolly won't mind giving him additional steps periodically. You've not got anything to lose, he's already not a customer, and everything to gain. How much money would you make off this guy if he complied? Then, if he renews, after a year, how much correction would you have to do on a car you've maintained all year long.

My Lasik surgeon did the exact same thing. Free eye correction for life. As long as I submit to an annual eye exam @ $80.00 a pop in addition to whatever my insurance pays. Miss one year, no further eye corrections for free.

YerBuddy
08-02-2011, 03:46 AM
If you're going to do that then I'm bringing my car to you as well. LOL J/K!

A limited warranty is okay, but you'd have to spell it out--as others have suggested--and make it very conditional to him complying with the details (no pun intended). I do agree with Tyrod that you could make this guy a believer and subsequently gain more customers in the long run. I'm a firm believer in customer service, but there have to be terms that both of you agree with. If he's just some duche looking for a handout then he most likely will not agree to the limited warranty anyway. Naturally, it's all dependent on what your impressions of the guy are and what his truck looks like. If it's beat to heck and looks, as you said, like he won't wash it or take care of it, then the limited warranty will force his hand. It's a tough decision, but money is money. Good luck!

PS. I'd also take pictures of before, after, and subsequently every time he brings it in according to your warranty.

jpegs13
08-02-2011, 04:29 AM
Run, don't walk away from this potential customer. It's going to be trouble from day 1