PDA

View Full Version : stripping current product

PA DETAILER
08-01-2011, 11:20 AM
have a vacation comming up in two weeks. i may want to start fresh and try another product (s). paint is in great shape. currently have 845 on and a few coats of WGDGSS. to start new, would you...

1. wash with dawn. how much per gallon of water?
2. go with GG paint prep.
3. i have a bottle of P21S paint cleaner.

best method to remove current product. thanks. :xyxthumbs:

IOMCAMARO
08-01-2011, 11:40 AM
If you have GG paint prep, use it, but if you don't you can use dawn at 1 oz. To every 1 to 2 gallons of water

poweraid
08-01-2011, 11:45 AM
great question , I'll be following . if able to polish-wax the whole vehicle at one time a wash type solution seems to be the easiest. I've seen dawn 2-3 oz with 4 oz of apc, plus 1oz of car wash soap for lube . also using optimum power clean 1:3 or even straight? wash then spray opc let dwell some then wash again ? when I am unable to do full vehicle and can only do 1-3 panels at time I use solvent I got from walmart wax and grease remover. similar to prep-solv , spray on wipe off. I heard mineral spirits work the same too. idk this is just info I have gathered before. but I'm very interested in this topic also.

Ted S.
08-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Don't use straight dawn, mix it with a wash that has good lubricants. It doesn't hurt to let it dwell on each panel for a few moments before you agitate, either. Then follow up with the paint cleanser to remove the WG.

Although, a co-worker told me that Dawn caused her paint to "peel off", or at least that's what the dealer told her was the cause of the paint's clearcoat failer. God forbid it ever be a manufacturer's defect...

I've never had Dawn damage anything...

hymato
08-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Would it be good to mix dawn and DP foam and foam wash to let sit and remove wax?

CrownKote
08-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Would it be good to mix dawn and DP foam and foam wash to let sit and remove wax?

This is what I do...

My ratios are 3oz. Dawn and 2oz. DP Foam gun soap... I shoot the car then let it dwell for about 10 min then I go back and hand wash it then dry... Wash with DP Auto bath then dry again... Ready to go at that point...

hymato
08-01-2011, 06:04 PM
:dblthumb2:

BobbyG
08-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Although, a co-worker told me that Dawn caused her paint to "peel off", or at least that's what the dealer told her was the cause of the paint's clearcoat failure. God forbid it ever be a manufacturer's defect...

I've never had Dawn damage anything...

There's no bar low enough or no lie big enough with it comes to a car dealer.... :bash:

ScottB
08-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Pinnacle and P21S are great (and easy to use) paint preps...

Trevor
08-01-2011, 10:30 PM
+1 on the P21s. I've used dawn before but didn't really feel like it was touching the sealant enough. The P21s was fantastic though.

Kristopher1129
08-01-2011, 10:49 PM
I usually just wipe with either alcohol, wax/grease remover, or mineral spirits. Any of those will strip whatever is currently there.

I wouldn't really trust Dawn to strip sealant. I think even if you wash with Dawn...you'd still have to wipe with another product to be sure anyways. At least I think so...

alfadub
08-01-2011, 11:35 PM
My bottle of Collinite 845 states that it is a "detergent-proof formulation," so I doubt Dawn would do much to remove it.

I haven't tried using a detergent to remove wax, but when the subject comes up, I often read people on the boards suggest Dawn. Is there a reason why that brand in particular is suggested, as opposed to any other detergent such as Palmolive? Is it milder/stronger/purer than other brands?

roguish-desires
08-02-2011, 12:28 AM
I actually use both Dawn and P21s Cleansing Lotion. I start out by mixing 2 oz of Dawn, 1 oz of P21s Body Work shampoo and 3 gallons of water. I wash the entire car, dry it, and then hit it with the P21s Cleansing Lotion.

At that point, I wish I could just leave it because it is the darkest, richest, and wettest my paint ever looks. (It's factory color is Light Khaki which is basically gold with small metal flake).

As much as I'd like to, however, I go ahaead and complete the detail ie. clay, polish, wash, seal, wax etc.....

:cheers:

kbmag1
08-02-2011, 06:29 PM
As posted earlier...How effective would Optimum Power Clean be? And what would be the recommended dilution rate?