PDA

View Full Version : Prima Amigo Questions

Pages : [1] 2

S2K
07-31-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm thinking about getting some Prima Amigo but cannot find any recommended application methods on the details pages or in any threads. So what is the best method of application? By hand or machine? What pad? What speed? How long to work it? How long to leave it on? I know that's a lot of questions but they all tie together. Thanks for any info in advance!

Belair
07-31-2011, 12:54 PM
IMO get it straight from the 'horse's mouth'; email Nick at Prima for the inside info:

Prima Car Care: Premium Wax, Polish & More (http://www.primacarcare.com/Home_Page.html)

john b
07-31-2011, 01:00 PM
theres a review on the amigo and banna wax on here somewhere

S2K
07-31-2011, 01:05 PM
theres a review on the amigo and banna wax on here somewhere
Yea I read that one and he said he used a PC on speed 1, that just seems a little slow to me.

Waxmax
07-31-2011, 01:13 PM
I use speed 3-4 with a black pad and work it in some till it pretty much disappears. Removal is a breeze. It's a nice product.

john b
07-31-2011, 01:16 PM
intresting,i have the amigo although i have not used it yet,i will be trying it out on both a black lc pad and the red ht pad around speed 4 on the pc

S2K
07-31-2011, 01:24 PM
I use speed 3-4 with a black pad and work it in some till it pretty much disappears. Removal is a breeze. It's a nice product.
How much product do you use? Do you remove it immediately or wait any time?

scoobydann
07-31-2011, 03:19 PM
I just finished my car with it. It went above and beyond my expectations (they were high to begin with.) I am in process of writing a "review" as I type.

fyi i used it slightly heavy, flat black LC pad on 2.5 on my pc. it was a breeze to put on, a breeze to take off and very slick to the touch when finished.

definately :props::xyxthumbs::dblthumb2:

Flannigan
07-31-2011, 03:27 PM
As for speed and pad it depends on what you want it to do. It is actually capable of light correction on a polishing pad, along with filling some minor imperfections and leaving a very deep, glossy finish.

When I use it as a polishing step I use it on a white LC polishing pad on speed 4-5 on my PCXP. I do a couple section passes (2-4) and usually it's almost gone. I go around the whole car, and then wipe it off starting with the first panel I applied it to. It wipes off super easy even after sitting on the car for hours, or in the sun.

If using as a final step before wax, after a correction I use it on a black lc pad to just add depth and gloss to the finish. I use it on speed 3-4 on the PCXP and just go over each area a couple times. Again I do the entire car and then wipe it off afterwards.

I must say that Amigo is by far my favorite glaze due to its versatility. However, it should be noted that if using as a glaze you can't expect the filling ability to last for a long time. Even if topped with a wax or sealant, the glaze will be gone after a couple washes or rains at most.

hope that helps, and please ask me any other questions you have. I'm by no means an expert, but I have been using Amigo with great success for quite some time now.

S2K
07-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks Flannigan! That helps me a lot. With my thin soft black Honda paint it gets swirls when the wind blows and I don't want to use an abrasive polish very often and thought maybe this would help keep it looking good without sacrificing paint.
Does it affect the bonding of a sealant? I want to put BF WD on it (just got a sample, Thanks again Jon) and top that with Fuzion. Does that sound like a good combo? Thanks again for your expertise.

Rsurfer
07-31-2011, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=Flannigan;513328]
However, it should be noted that if using as a glaze you can't expect the filling ability to last for a long time. Even if topped with a wax or sealant, the glaze will be gone after a couple washes or rains at most.

I've heard similar statements before concerning a glaze not lasting after a couple of rains or washes, but never questioned it. If you top a glaze like Black Hoe or Wet Glaze with let's say Fusion, why would the glaze wash away with a durable topping like Fusion? I would think that the glaze is being protected by the wax. Feed back please

Flannigan
07-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks Flannigan! That helps me a lot. With my thin soft black Honda paint it gets swirls when the wind blows and I don't want to use an abrasive polish very often and thought maybe this would help keep it looking good without sacrificing paint.
Does it affect the bonding of a sealant? I want to put BF WD on it (just got a sample, Thanks again Jon) and top that with Fuzion. Does that sound like a good combo? Thanks again for your expertise. I feel your pain on black honda paint! I have never had any bonding issues when using amigo, but I rarely put a wax or sealants durability to the test since I try so many different products.

I've heard similar statements before concerning a glaze not lasting after a couple of rains or washes, but never questioned it. If you top a glaze like Black Hoe or Wet Glaze with let's say Fusion, why would the glaze wash away with a durable topping like Fusion? I would think that the glaze is being protected by the wax. Feed back please
I wont pretend to know exactly what is going on when glazes and waxes bond to the paint. All I can say is that after a couple rains or washes its noticeable that the glaze has failed. Ived tried several waxes and sealnts, and none have" locked" in the glaze as far as I've seen.

Rsurfer
07-31-2011, 05:39 PM
I wont pretend to know exactly what is going on when glazes and waxes bond to the paint. All I can say is that after a couple rains or washes its noticeable that the glaze has failed. Ived tried several waxes and sealnts, and none have" locked" in the glaze as far as I've seen.

Could it be that the solvents in the wax/sealant is removing the glaze?

S2K
07-31-2011, 05:53 PM
I feel your pain on black honda paint! I have never had any bonding issues when using amigo, but I rarely put a wax or sealants durability to the test since I try so many different products.
Durability really isn't an issue, like you I like to try new things and see how they look. I've used PB BH but wasn't really impressed, didn't see that much difference with or without it. From what I've read about Amigo I'm hoping to really see a difference.

sal329
08-01-2011, 07:06 AM
I use Amigo speed 3 with a black LC pad on the GG DA