PDA

View Full Version : How to know if paint is soft or hard?

kbmag1
07-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Is the paint on Ford's (2010 Fusion, 2011 Focus, 2011 Mustong) hard or soft? How can you tell? I've only detailed them by hand application so far.

Harleyguy
07-30-2011, 05:43 PM
You will know when you start off machine polishing . Always start with the least aggressive pad and work your way up . If you can remove swirls with a white pad and 205 paint is generally soft .If you need to go to an orange pad and 105 it tends to be hard clear coat . My corvette's clear was rock hard I had to use a rotary and wool pad or a white Kompressor pad to get the paint to a show quality finish

unclestu
07-30-2011, 07:38 PM
You will know when you start off machine polishing . Always start with the least aggressive pad and work your way up . If you can remove swirls with a white pad and 205 paint is generally soft .If you need to go to an orange pad and 105 it tends to be hard clear coat . My corvette's clear was rock hard I had to use a rotary and wool pad or a white Kompressor pad to get the paint to a show quality finish

Hey Harleyguy,
How has things been? Is the paint hardness specific to the model car or to the manufacturer? Do all Chevys have hard clear coats like your vet?
Stu