PDA

View Full Version : OTC Tire Cleaner

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Ted S.
07-28-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Mothers foaming wheel cleaner. It cleans tires "O K" and wheels pretty good, but for $6 you'd have to use over half a bottle to get adequate coverage. Not ripping on the Mother's brand, as I love most of the products I have used from them, just not the wheel cleaner.

I think it's worth my time to wait 3 days for ARO. Who knows, Max sent me some Brown Royale, and when I actualy get time to try it out, it may be my new favorite.:dunno:

maximus20895
07-28-2011, 03:54 PM
You still haven't tried it!!!

Ted S.
07-28-2011, 03:55 PM
You still haven't tried it!!!

Sorry man, that place i work at keeps getting in the way.:laughing:

Just ordered a pc though.

Ted S.
07-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Funny, work just called me in early....again....

Hoytman
07-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Whestley's cleans rubber better than anything else I've ever tried. Now, I haven't used APC+, or OPC, but I've had issues with brown before. Tried many, many, many OTC tire and wheel cleaners. Some work better than others for the rims, but for tires...if you've got brown get yourself some Whestley's and it'll be gone in no time with a good stiff brush. Doesn't need a long dwell time so it can be rinsed quickly so it won't hurt rims.

I spray both tires on a side and go to work, then the other side. I've found it's best to leave the tires DRY then spray with Whestley's, give it fine misting of water (key word fine mist...important), agitate and scrub well, rinse.

There's a reason it's America's best selling OTC tire cleaner...it works.:dblthumb2: Works great on rubber bed liners too.

BobbyG
07-28-2011, 04:23 PM
I used Wesleys Bleach White for years and it's still widely available. It does a decent job and is reasonably priced...:props:

Mothers also makes some great products and is available at most retail stores....Where automotive supplies are sold...

2kredbb6
07-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Eagle One cleans surprisely well.

dad07
07-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Mothers foaming cleaner is my go to product. available almost every where.

flamed03vert
07-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Another one for Westleys and Purple Power (diluted). I am thinking maybe the blooming from the tires is drawn up from something contained chemical wise in the Megs Endurance?

Bunky
07-28-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Mothers foaming wheel cleaner. It cleans tires "O K" and wheels pretty good, but for $6 you'd have to use over half a bottle to get adequate coverage.

I found that if you spray in a sweeping motion you get more coverage with less product.

poweraid
07-28-2011, 08:56 PM
for OTC tire cleaner I have used westley's , at less than $8 a gallon works well and cheap . for dual purpose , eagle one a2z works great but IMO it's a little too costly . I think just under $5 for like 23oz . both these products give off some good fumes.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
07-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Eagle one A2Z wheel cleaner is the best otc cleaner for wheels and tires available, imo.

I agree:iagree::props:

/Thread

Capa1970
07-28-2011, 09:19 PM
for OTC tire cleaner I have used westley's , at less than $8 a gallon works well and cheap . for dual purpose , eagle one a2z works great but IMO it's a little too costly . I think just under $5 for like 23oz . both these products give off some good fumes.

Eagle One is often on sale for 2 for $7.00 at AA, AZ, Napa, and Oreilly's.

poweraid
07-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Eagle One is often on sale for 2 for $7.00 at AA, AZ, Napa, and Oreilly's.

yes I have seen that before or even a mix it up any 2 products for $7 ?

Hoytman
07-28-2011, 10:03 PM
On my own wheels I found many years ago that many of the so called dressing/tire shines end up leaving this brown goop on the tires. Sure they look sweet for awhile, but when it comes time to clean them that's where most of the products I tried failed. I also found that it's a way for some to get by without a perfectly clean tire...they mask it with a shine product...and it will mask it to a degree. Even Westley's Bleach White would have to be used sometimes. So, I quit putting that tire shine junk on my tires...and I used quality stuff...at least the stuff we had back then and some of it being Meguire's dressings. I just got to the point it was too much work and rather than have a lot of shine with a bit of brown I opted for not shine and a whole lot of black. I quit the dressings, didn't have to worry about the brown stains, and going over the tires 2-3 times to get them jet black clean became a thing of the past. Once they're clean and free of tire dressing, I simply spray 1 application of Westley's Bleach White on the tires at each washing and they're clean, jet black, and easy to clean each time I wash. Sure they get brown from dust, but it's not the same as the brown staining you get which doesn't come off as easily.

That said, I'm still not sure I want to dish out the green backs for Ultima trim stuff or Wolfgang stuff just to see if it works. No doubt it lasts, but I want to know if it allows the tires to get stained brown. If those products get the stains, they're not for me. I'd rather not deal a all with brown stains. I can get dry brown dirt off easily without using tire dressings, which I've never been a fan of regardless of what kind of car.

Some people think a car isn't detailed unless the tires are dressed. That's some's opinion and they're entitled to do what they like. I'll do the same. I'd 10 to 1 rather look at clean jet black tire without that chincy look to it. Sure, if a customer likes it and wants it, that's what they get. On my own cars forgedaboudit.