PDA

View Full Version : The Good Stuff?!?!?!

Pages : [1] 2 3

alko
07-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Here's the scenario...you have a neighbor/friend/new customer and they want you to detail their car. The car has never seen a professional detail, let alone a good wash other than the local gas station swirl-o-whirl.

Do you use the good wash/shampoo? The good wash mit? Aside from quality pads, polishes, and waxes, what do you guys use to "prepare" the vehicle for paint correction/polish/sealtant?

rider9195
07-27-2011, 06:22 PM
I definitely would use a quality soap and mit. It all really depends on what they want done to the vehicle.

Plan b Detail
07-27-2011, 06:23 PM
In my opinion if it is a new customer, you should be on your A game and go above and beyond to really WOW him or her. I would use all of my best stuff to insure great results and outstanding quality. If you destroy a $15 wash mitt and a $10 LC foam pad... does it really matter? You just made a lot more than that and made the customer happy with the results who will probably use you again and even recommend you with his/her friends, family, and co-workers. Thats just my prospective but what does a 16 year old know lol

alko
07-27-2011, 06:24 PM
I definitely would use a quality soap and mit. It all really depends on what they want done to the vehicle.

True...I should have elaborated more. What if you know you're going to wash/clay/polish/seal/wax the car

embolism
07-27-2011, 06:26 PM
I have wash media and clay that I use for my car only. Other than that, anything I use on my car I'd use on another.

Most of the time though, the cars I'll do for friends or family are pretty neglected and hardly waxed so I go with something durable like Collinite 845 as my lsp. It's a bonus that it's so inexpensive.

Would I use my fuzion? Sure, but only if the person takes care of their car and will do something within the next few months.

btw, I do it for very little money cause I like to do it. I charge $40-$50 for wash, clay, paint cleaner, and sealant or wax. Feeds my addiction, and helps me use my products so I can try new ones!

I'd probably charge more for polishing but noone really wants to leave their car that long. Just got some more aio's which have a bit more tooth to add to my KAIO (poliseal, DG 501, prima amigo - darn you bogo!) so maybe I can do a bit of correction while cleaning...

alko
07-27-2011, 06:32 PM
In my opinion if it is a new customer, you should be on your A game and go above and beyond to really WOW him or her. I would use all of my best stuff to insure great results and outstanding quality. If you destroy a $15 wash mitt and a $10 LC foam pad... does it really matter? You just made a lot more than that and made the customer happy with the results who will probably use you again and even recommend you with his/her friends, family, and co-workers. Thats just my prospective but what does a 16 year old know lol

I definitely get what you're saying. I am with the below quote in that I would have products for mine and the fiance/wife's car specifically. But I don't think i'd use a wool wash mitt or a merino wool mitt on a car in bad shape.

I have wash media and clay that I use for my car only. Other than that, anything I use on my car I'd use on another.

Most of the time though, the cars I'll do for friends or family are pretty neglected and hardly waxed so I go with something durable like Collinite 845 as my lsp. It's a bonus that it's so inexpensive.

Would I use my fuzion? Sure, but only if the person takes care of their car and will do something within the next few months.

I think Collinite would be on my "To Buy" list if I were to start my side business detailing. I wouldn't use my Swissvax on these cars, but I would get something decent.

JonMiles
07-27-2011, 06:49 PM
If you are worried about ruining your good stuff, I would recommend using a foam gun with something like CG citrus wash and gloss to break up the grime and stuff before doing your wash. As for clay, an Ultima Elastrofoam would be a good candidate so you don't go through a whole bar while doing the car. You can just rinse it in the wash bucket and keep going.

From the initial cleaning and claying on, the car should be in good enough shape to use your best stuff without worry of ruining something.

Hoytman
07-27-2011, 06:50 PM
IDK! I suppose I don't understand the logic sometimes. I mean, what's the use in using a high dollar wash mitt and trashing it if someone, new customer or not, brings you some car or truck that's got heavy dirt and build-up on it and plan on letting you do a full correction on it? I'd have no issue explaining to the customer what I would be doing, and what you do/use for cleaning after the correction. I guess I just don't like to waste anything...time, or tools. If the car/truck is that dirty you'll most likely not get it clean without inducing more scratches regardless of mitt/sponge used. That's the reason for the correction...make it better than new, inform the client how to care, or set up a maintanence schedule for them after the correction. At the least, explain the use of certain tools/products before, during, and after the correction. IDK...just some thoughts.

EDIT:
Sure, you'll use some common sense, like removing heavy deposits first with a power washer, but to use a high dollar mitt on it before the correction doesn't make sense to me. It's like putting the most expensive wax you have on car that could easily be cared for with $15 Collonite. Matching products to the car, is like matching services to the client IMO. At least that's my mind-set, and I haven't even taken on any clients yet. Maybe I shouldn't ha ha.

BobbyG
07-27-2011, 06:57 PM
In my opinion if it is a new customer, you should be on your A game and go above and beyond to really WOW him or her.

:iagree:

You're trying to put your best foot forward to impress this new customer in hopes of having them use your services again. This is a prime opportunity to educate this customer in proper upkeep and maintenance and the difference between your services and the Swirl-O-Matic.

When you think about it what really is the difference between your average car wash and wash mitt; probably very little.

rider9195
07-27-2011, 06:58 PM

:iagree:

Hoytman
07-27-2011, 07:04 PM
If you are worried about ruining your good stuff, I would recommend using a foam gun with something like CG citrus wash and gloss to break up the grime and stuff before doing your wash. As for clay, an Ultima Elastrofoam would be a good candidate so you don't go through a whole bar while doing the car. You can just rinse it in the wash bucket and keep going.

From the initial cleaning and claying on, the car should be in good enough shape to use your best stuff without worry of ruining something.

:iagree:This makes good sense. In my earliet post let me clarify something. It's not that I'd be afraid of using a quality mitt for the washing based on doing something like the above quote. Rather, it's not necessary to use the best mitt you own if a full correction is planned. If you've got enough sense to do the above steps you have an idea what you're doing anyway, or more than the average car owner. That said, and the above steps taken, the few minor scratches, if any, from using an older mitt would most likely be nill. Why chance contaminating a new mitt on a car that dirty. Then again, they are actually a small investment, and after the job you could just give the mitt to the customer along with some technique information. That would go a long way towards a potential repeat customer.

EDIT:
I've had wrong ideas before so it's not an issue if someone thinks I'm wrong. Of course, there's nothing wrong with using your best mitts and building good habits either. IDK.

PAR Detailing
07-27-2011, 07:10 PM
I would use a quality mitt and soap. Now would I use a $40 mitt?... Nope, but a nice quality $10 or so mitt.. absolutely. You said the car has seen nothing but tunnel washes so its in rough shape, we arent talking a Lambo that just got polished to perfection. A $10 mitt and quality soap (I use dawn to help strip the paint for polishing or just sealing) will be just fine IMO.

Grab your LSP whether its a sealant or a wax and protect it.

alko
07-27-2011, 08:05 PM
I appreciate everyone's response. I think these two words applies to everyone here: It depends. And I think alot of it depends on the detailer. I wouldn't use just any old wash mitt or sponge...like an el cheapo from the dollar store. Take for instance the cobra microfiber mitts that are in the BOGO's. I got it because I was looking for a mitt to replace the one I use on my rims and tires. But I think the other mitt I could use washing an introductory customer....meaning I haven't, nor has anyone else, gone through the process of correcting the paint. Of course, a repeat customer or a customer who has gone through the process, I would probably use a higher quality sheepskin was mitt. You guys are all talented in your own ways and thats why I appreciate your responses. If some of you have read some of my other posts, I've ramping up for starting a side detailing business. Thanks again everyone!

dougaross
07-27-2011, 10:06 PM
IDK! I suppose I don't understand the logic sometimes. I mean, what's the use in using a high dollar wash mitt and trashing it if someone, new customer or not, brings you some car or truck that's got heavy dirt and build-up on it and plan on letting you do a full correction on it? I'd have no issue explaining to the customer what I would be doing, and what you do/use for cleaning after the correction. I guess I just don't like to waste anything...time, or tools. If the car/truck is that dirty you'll most likely not get it clean without inducing more scratches regardless of mitt/sponge used. That's the reason for the correction...make it better than new, inform the client how to care, or set up a maintanence schedule for them after the correction. At the least, explain the use of certain tools/products before, during, and after the correction. IDK...just some thoughts.

EDIT:
Sure, you'll use some common sense, like removing heavy deposits first with a power washer, but to use a high dollar mitt on it before the correction doesn't make sense to me. It's like putting the most expensive wax you have on car that could easily be cared for with $15 Collonite. Matching products to the car, is like matching services to the client IMO. At least that's my mind-set, and I haven't even taken on any clients yet. Maybe I shouldn't ha ha.
so use a 1.79 grout sponge

FUNX650
07-27-2011, 10:26 PM
I would have products for mine and the fiance/wife's car specifically.

You've got a wife and a fiance? What kind of "Good Stuff" are we talking about here anyway? J/K :)

As others have said: Best to bring your "A" game to the playing field!!

For example: Wash mitts shouldn't be "contaminated" (clean 'em up after each use, if possible). If you feel any wash mitt, or for that matter, any car care supplies, are inferior and not to be used on your personal vehicles, why not throw them away? Or use them for tires, wheel wells, door jambs and the like? Why delegate them to the new folks' vehicles?

No matter the processes, supplies, and equipment you ultimately choose...Good luck on your upcoming detailing sessions!

Bob