PDA

View Full Version : New Guys.. What pads?

Pages : [1] 2

tuscani
07-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Hey all, I just ordered up the Griots 6" orbital.. curious which pads are recommended? My goal is too eliminate swirl marks.. I have Megs SwirlX and their Ultimate Ploy Wax on-hand. :)

BobbyG
07-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Hey all, I just ordered up the Griots 6" orbital.. curious which pads are recommended? My goal is too eliminate swirl marks.. I have Megs SwirlX and their Ultimate Ploy Wax on-hand. :)

Take a good look at Lake Country 5 1/2 diameter Flat Pads...

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

master detailer
07-27-2011, 01:54 PM
lc flat pads are the only pads to have. I have all the pads and the flat pads are the sh-t.

tuscani
07-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Cool.. so two yellow and one of each of the others is best?

SRTSean
07-27-2011, 02:50 PM
If you only need supplies to take care of your personal vehicle I would get two yellow, two orange and two white, but you would still need something for sealant/wax application if you don't want to apply by hand. That's just based on my personal experience/preference of changing out pads after getting halfway through each compounding/polishing step when detailing.

Honestly I wish I had 6 pads of every color, but I'm slowly building my way up to that.

tuscani
07-27-2011, 02:56 PM
I am getting lost.. I only plan to use Megs SwirlX and Ultimate Poly Wax right now.. that's what I need pads for.

PS.. nice SRT.. I drive a 2008 Caliber SRT4 :)

SRTSean
07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Are you buying them in a bundle of six, or just individually? I would suggest buying six because they're cheaper that way and it's nice having extras in case one fails. Based on your products and needs I'd suggest:

1 black pad for applying the wax.
2 orange pads for swirl removal and light-moderate scratches
2 white pads for minor swirling
1 yellow for more aggressively tackling defects (although I don't know that SwirlX is really aggressive enough for using a yellow pad)

You might flip the number of orange/yellow pads if your paint is heavily swirled, but it's tough to comment without seeing a picture.

tuscani
07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah six.. cool thanks man

kronos
07-27-2011, 04:25 PM
If you're going to use 5.5" pads, I believe you're going to need a 5" backing plate. Put that in your cart too.

tuscani
07-27-2011, 04:42 PM
If you're going to use 5.5" pads, I believe you're going to need a 5" backing plate. Put that in your cart too.

Which one for Griots?

flyinion
07-27-2011, 05:10 PM
lc flat pads are the only pads to have. I have all the pads and the flat pads are the sh-t.

Is there a reason not to use the CCS ones? I started buying those thinking they were newer and better.

kronos
07-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Which one for Griots?

Lake Country 5 inch hook and loop backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)

SRTSean
07-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Is there a reason not to use the CCS ones? I started buying those thinking they were newer and better.

I think it's just personal preference. I've used/own both and they both produce the same results from what I can tell.

Old Tiger
07-27-2011, 06:54 PM
i HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE Megs DA MF System. Only 2 kind of pads. 5" BP included. Get a few extra pads and you are good to go! Machine washable & very durable IME!

tuscani
07-27-2011, 08:55 PM
i HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE Megs DA MF System. Only 2 kind of pads. 5" BP included. Get a few extra pads and you are good to go! Machine washable & very durable IME!

Twice the price though since I don't need their extra accessories