PDA

View Full Version : OPC vs APC

Pages : [1] 2

trerc
07-27-2011, 06:58 AM
See alot of people really like these products, I have a gallon of megs APC but am thinking about trying OPC just wanting to hear from people who have used both.

alko
07-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Alot of people praise the OPC. I ordered some on Monday and will be trying it out this weekend. I'm sure alot of those who use this stuff will chime in here in a sec.

05xrunner
07-27-2011, 07:58 AM
Megs APC+ is the better bang for your buck but the big thing is that you can use OPC on your paint even full strength and it wont hurt anything..cant do that with Megs APC

embolism
07-27-2011, 08:34 AM
I thought I saw a post where APC dilutions for stripping lsps were 64:1 for waxes and 20:1 for sealants?

I've used zep at 4:1 on my paint and haven't had any issues. I only spray it on just before I wash a panel with soap though.

panthercz
07-27-2011, 08:40 AM
I have a gallon of each. I like the OPC much more. The OPC does a better job, safely and without the smell of the Megs APC. I use the Megs to clean pads out now and the OPC for cars.

DLB
07-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Just to note - there are 2 Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaners:
D101 - All Purpose Cleaner
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2168_33118242

And D103 All Purpose Cleaner Plus
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2169_11328301

I have never used the Regular APC - only the Plus.

APC+ is my go to, always have some on hand cleaner. For the cost - you can't beat it. I have not encountered anything it wouldn't clean that OPC would - HOWEVER, I also keep OPC - in fact I just ordered a replacement gallon (I order APC+ usually several gallons at a time).

I use OPC on leather (it is my dedicated leather cleaner), and any other "sensitive" areas. I keep OPC diluted at 3:1 and a bottle of it straight. I keep APC+ diluted 4:1 and 10:1. It is hard to justify using OPC on something that you can use APC+ on when you detail to make money.

If I were strictly an enthusiast, I would only have OPC. Reason being, the volume of use would be much less and you wouldn't have to keep 2 products on hand. However, using APC+ everywhere I can really saves me a bit - I use a LOT of APC+.

Head to head, you have to give the straight up win to OPC - no question really (just purely based on the fact it can be used for leather is enough). However, I don't think APC+ is inferior as a cleaner, it just isn't safe for everything as OPC is.

DLB

alko
07-27-2011, 08:55 AM
I got the spray bottle and have been told I can use OPC to remove wax residue from rubber trim. Should I dilute or just spray and agitate?

rwright
07-27-2011, 08:58 AM
I thought I saw a post where APC dilutions for stripping lsps were 64:1 for waxes and 20:1 for sealants?

I've used zep at 4:1 on my paint and haven't had any issues. I only spray it on just before I wash a panel with soap though.

I'm not going to lie, I used to use Zep citrus 4:1 on paint. Richy turned me on to it and he still uses it I believe. I switched to Optimum Power Clean for 2 reasons:

1) Safe on paint even at full strength, no need to dilute 60 parts to 1 or whatever (@3:1 you can safely clean leather!)

2) Zep Citrus stripped the paint on the bottom side of a hood (parents car) and frame rails in the engine bay.

#2 was a wake up call for me showing how powerful this stuff really is. What if that wasn't my mothers car, actually belonged to a client? I would be paying for a paint job. I'm not saying it will happen to anyone else, but once is enough for me. Meg's APC/APC+ are great chemicals and have their place.

rwright
07-27-2011, 09:00 AM
I got the spray bottle and have been told I can use OPC to remove wax residue from rubber trim. Should I dilute or just spray and agitate?

If you have enough, try some diluted 3:1 (3 parts water:1 part OPC) and if it doesn't work try it full strength. :xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
07-27-2011, 09:45 AM
They both work but Meguiar's all purpose cleaner seems the stronger of the two.

Optimum Power Clean

I this this 3:1 as recommended and it works great on just about everything. It doesn't seem to harm paint at all which in my opinion is a good thing. The scent is milder making it easier on the senses. I use this more for interiors but it certainly can be used on the exterior as well..

Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner

This is also an outstanding product. This is really needs to be diluted but that also means you'll have allot more usable product for the money. There's nothing that this won't clean that the Optimum product has over it. Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner even works well on tires and wheels..

alko
07-27-2011, 09:48 AM
If you have enough, try some diluted 3:1 (3 parts water:1 part OPC) and if it doesn't work try it full strength.

Optimum Power Clean

I this this 3:1 as recommended and it works great on just about everything. It doesn't seem to harm paint at all which in my opinion is a good thing. The scent is milder making it easier on the senses. I use this more for interiors but it certainly can be used on the exterior as well..

Awesome...thanks guys.

See alot of people really like these products, I have a gallon of megs APC but am thinking about trying OPC just wanting to hear from people who have used both.

Trerc…I will let you know how the OPC works out for me this weekend.

trerc
07-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Just to note - there are 2 Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaners:
D101 - All Purpose Cleaner
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2168_33118242

And D103 All Purpose Cleaner Plus
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2169_11328301

I have never used the Regular APC - only the Plus.

APC+ is my go to, always have some on hand cleaner. For the cost - you can't beat it. I have not encountered anything it wouldn't clean that OPC would - HOWEVER, I also keep OPC - in fact I just ordered a replacement gallon (I order APC+ usually several gallons at a time).

I use OPC on leather (it is my dedicated leather cleaner), and any other "sensitive" areas. I keep OPC diluted at 3:1 and a bottle of it straight. I keep APC+ diluted 4:1 and 10:1. It is hard to justify using OPC on something that you can use APC+ on when you detail to make money.

If I were strictly an enthusiast, I would only have OPC. Reason being, the volume of use would be much less and you wouldn't have to keep 2 products on hand. However, using APC+ everywhere I can really saves me a bit - I use a LOT of APC+.

Head to head, you have to give the straight up win to OPC - no question really (just purely based on the fact it can be used for leather is enough). However, I don't think APC+ is inferior as a cleaner, it just isn't safe for everything as OPC is.

DLB

Awesome, Pretty much exactly what I was looking for, I didn't realize there was an APC+ too!

Optimum Power Clean

Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner

This is also an outstanding product. This is really needs to be diluted but that also means you'll have allot more usable product for the money. There's nothing that this won't clean that the Optimum product has over it. Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner even works well on tires and wheels..

Sounds like I need to pick up some OPC for my leather care, my wife is also kind of sensitive to cleaners so a milder one will be welcome, Thanks

Awesome...thanks guys.

Trerc…I will let you know how the OPC works out for me this weekend.

I appreciate it! Thanks

embolism
07-27-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm not going to lie, I used to use Zep citrus 4:1 on paint. Richy turned me on to it and he still uses it I believe. I switched to Optimum Power Clean for 2 reasons:

1) Safe on paint even at full strength, no need to dilute 60 parts to 1 or whatever (@3:1 you can safely clean leather!)

2) Zep Citrus stripped the paint on the bottom side of a hood (parents car) and frame rails in the engine bay.

#2 was a wake up call for me showing how powerful this stuff really is. What if that wasn't my mothers car, actually belonged to a client? I would be paying for a paint job. I'm not saying it will happen to anyone else, but once is enough for me. Meg's APC/APC+ are great chemicals and have their place.

hmmm, can't argue with facts. Guess I'll save the zep for wheels and my bbq grill. I've got some OPC on the way which should last me a long time even at 3:1

00celica
08-19-2011, 10:03 AM
I bought a gallon of APC+ a few weeks ago and have diluted two bottles worth of product - one at 10:1 and one at 4:1. I use the 10:1 for interiors. I use the 4:1 on tires, wheel wells and occassionally wheels. However, when I spray the product directly on the tires, let it dwell and scrub with a tire brush several times, I still have brown film on the sides of the tires. Should I use the APC+ at a different dillution ratio or find something else to kill that tire gunk?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

cshamilton
04-08-2014, 11:23 PM
I bought a gallon of APC+ a few weeks ago and have diluted two bottles worth of product - one at 10:1 and one at 4:1. I use the 10:1 for interiors. I use the 4:1 on tires, wheel wells and occassionally wheels. However, when I spray the product directly on the tires, let it dwell and scrub with a tire brush several times, I still have brown film on the sides of the tires. Should I use the APC+ at a different dillution ratio or find something else to kill that tire gunk?

Any help would be appreciated! :)

do you mind if I ask where you found it? I havent been able to get my hands on apc+ in a gallon size in a while.