PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Clearcoat on Carbon Fiber

jpegs13
07-27-2011, 03:37 AM
HELP! I have what appear to be cloudy spots on my carbon fiber wing. I can't take pictures of it, they don't really show the problem.
It's not micro-marring or anything else from polishing. It hasn't been polished since it came from the shop. ( They weren't there when I got it back).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HeavyMetal
07-27-2011, 06:40 AM
Wish I could help, brother, but no idea. What did you have the shop do? Is there someone in your area you can show it to?

CrownKote
07-27-2011, 06:44 AM
I had a customer with a cf hood that had "hazing/clouding" on it we tried everything and finally when finished it still had it... Contacted the manufacturer and they think it is the final coat of epoxy going bad... Check with the company the wing came from before trying anything... This is on the Lambo correct?

FUNX650
07-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Sorry to hear this. :(

Besides a possible clear-coat failure at this area, it might possibly be a start of delamination of the underlying CF. I'm just hypothesizing, though. As suggested, a talk with the body shop, or manufacturer, might yield better results/answers, especially if there is a warranty.

Just a few thoughts.

Bob

Mike Phillips
07-27-2011, 08:00 AM
The problem is either topical, that's on the surface, or throughout the layer of ?

Is it straight epoxy? Or Clearcoated? or Polyester Resin?

Buzzing a light polish over it with a DA or Rotary will tell you real fast if it's topical as it should abrade it enough to either fix the problem or show the problem to be throughout the matrix of whatever the top coat or component is made out of.

:)

MCA
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
The problem is either topical, that's on the surface, or throughout the layer of ?

Buzzing a light polish over it with a DA or Rotary will tell you real fast if it's topical as it should abrade it enough to either fix the problem or show the problem to be throughout the matrix of whatever the top coat or component is made out of.

:iagree: This sounds like an oxidation issue (similar to single-stage paints) that is fairly common with carbon fiber panels. Alternatively, you can try a non-abrasive approach and use a chemical cleaner such as Klasse AIO to perform a test spot fix. Hopefully, this fix will be permanent - if the haze comes back after a few days then the panel may need to be repainted or worse, the CF has started to delaminate...

trerc
07-27-2011, 12:18 PM
If the clear coat hadn't gassed out before it was waxed or sealed then it will cloud on you, most shops recommend waiting at least 4weeks before using any type of wax ir sealer on fresh clear coat for this reason...

jpegs13
07-27-2011, 01:57 PM
I had a customer with a cf hood that had "hazing/clouding" on it we tried everything and finally when finished it still had it... Contacted the manufacturer and they think it is the final coat of epoxy going bad... Check with the company the wing came from before trying anything... This is on the Lambo correct?

Yes it's on the Lambo. It doesn't appear to be in the fiber layer, it looks like it's above that.

It's a clearcoated product. I tried Menz. SIP with an orange pad and no improvement.
It appears to be above the fiber layer, in the clear coat. Can it be polished or does it need refinishing?

Thanks for the input guys :dblthumb2:

aerogt01
07-27-2011, 03:25 PM
If polish does not improve it then it could be one of two things:
- Clearcoat/epoxy bond failure
- Resin going cloudy from lack of UV inhibitor in CC/Resin

Either way it seems there is not a quick fix, although I could be wrong.

jpegs13
07-27-2011, 04:45 PM
If polish does not improve it then it could be one of two things:
- Clearcoat/epoxy bond failure
- Resin going cloudy from lack of UV inhibitor in CC/Resin

Either way it seems there is not a quick fix, although I could be wrong.

I think you might be right. Back to the shop it goes. :cry:

Mike Phillips
07-27-2011, 04:49 PM
It's a clearcoated product. I tried Menz. SIP with an orange pad and no improvement.

Sounds like the problem is under the clear...

Best thing to do would be to give me the Lamborghini....

The last thing I need is a Lamborghini with a dull surface on the Carbonfiber Wing but I'll suffer through it...

Let me know a good time to come by and pick it up...

Good thing I never get tired helping out others...

:D

jpegs13
07-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Sounds like the problem is under the clear...

Best thing to do would be to give me the Lamborghini....

The last thing I need is a Lamborghini with a dull surface on the Carbonfiber Wing but I'll suffer through it...

Let me know a good time to come by and pick it up...

Good thing I never get tired helping out others...

:D

I can't thank you enough for your generous offer. But, knowing what a perfectionist you are I couldn't do that to you. I guess I'll just have to squint when I walk past that side of the wing.........

I spoke to the manufacturer of the wing today, great company, SP Engineering. They're sending me a replacement. :dblthumb2:

catfish07
07-27-2011, 08:37 PM
I agree, it would be cruel to give it to mike since he is indeed a perfectionist and this would only serve to torture him.

I on the other hand am NOT as much as a perfectionist and could probably be help you. I have made room for the defective vehicle at my home..

jpegs13
07-28-2011, 04:32 AM
I agree, it would be cruel to give it to mike since he is indeed a perfectionist and this would only serve to torture him.

I on the other hand am NOT as much as a perfectionist and could probably be help you. I have made room for the defective vehicle at my home..

:laughing: :laughing: :dblthumb2: well played sir, well played