PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Polish???

vgs2006
01-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Is there a difference between finisihing polish and regular polish? For example, Optimum Polish/AIO/SSR1 are considered regular polish or finishing polish?

Surfer
01-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Optimum is a fairly strong polish but can finish down like a finishing polish. Optimum Compound is an excellent compound and also finishes down like a polish. SS1 one has fine cutt ability and good finishing, AIO is a just a chemical cleaner, won't do much for finishing (use after polishing).

vgs2006
01-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Surfer,

After using Optimum Polish or PB SSR1, I can immediately go straight to apply sealant? Any recommendaiton using Optimum or PB SSR system?

Nuke33
01-28-2007, 01:13 PM
I like the OP system, onle 2 polishes to buy long work times and a great deal!

ScottB
01-28-2007, 04:55 PM
SSR 1.0 is really the only finishing polish above. AIO is a chemical paint cleaner only, and Optimum is truly a reg polish but does break down well. Other finishing polishes include XMT 1 and Menzerna FP.

vgs2006
01-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Killrwheels, can I use Optimum Polish and then SSR 1.0? Or can I use Optimum Polish and then go straight to sealant?

ScottB
01-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Killrwheels, can I use Optimum Polish and then SSR 1.0? Or can I use Optimum Polish and then go straight to sealant?

you can do either, depending on pad choice. If you used an orange or yellow LC pad you might see some micromarring. You can then use either with a finishing pad to repair and jewel the surface. Also when using Optimum with a light pad for a car in good/better condition, you might be able to just move to the sealant.

vgs2006
01-29-2007, 08:37 PM
I will just stick to buying the Pinnacle XMT 1 & 3. I can use the XML 1 for me new cars, and XML 3 for older cars. It looks like Optimum Polish is stronger that other polishes. Does Pinnacle XMT get dusty similiar to PB SSR series?

abrcrombe
01-29-2007, 08:38 PM
XMT dusts less. If it starts to dust, stop and either clean the pad or spray with h20 or QD or XMT pad conditioner.

joe.p
01-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Menzerna polishes for me along with OP both will finish down LSP almost every time..

Nica
01-30-2007, 09:35 AM
I have been using the XMT line up and it works great, hard for me to compare it though because it's the only line up I own and used so far. I agree with abcrombe's comment. XMT does dust less and it breaks down nice and easy, dosen't take much to break down. It's good for beginners like my self because you can literally see the polish break down.

Jimmie
01-30-2007, 01:15 PM
you can do either, depending on pad choice. If you used an orange or yellow LC pad you might see some micromarring. You can then use either with a finishing pad to repair and jewel the surface. Also when using Optimum with a light pad for a car in good/better condition, you might be able to just move to the sealant.
Does the Optimum Polish start out more abrasive and then break down to more of a "finishing" polish? And, does the longer that you work it the more it breaks down? I used it yesterday on my car. It took out some fairly bad swirls, but seemed to leave the paint ready for a protective coat. (used the white pad that came with the PC).