PDA

View Full Version : storing applicators

DHCrocks
07-26-2011, 08:21 PM
I seem to have a problem storing my used applicators. I usually just pop them in a ziplock bag after I'm done and seal to protect from dust and getting contaminated.

Here's the problem, I just went to use a couple and they have grown fuzzy. Black mold was all over them. This happen to a MF with 303 protectant, a foam with Blackfire WD. My pads with Zaino Z2 and CS were ok.

Should I be leaving the bag open to vent? Should I wash the pads and air dry first? washing pads with sealants never seems to get it all out.

IOMCAMARO
07-26-2011, 08:25 PM
I seem to have a problem storing my used applicators. I usually just pop them in a ziplock bag after I'm done and seal to protect from dust and getting contaminated.

Here's the problem, I just went to use a couple and they have grown fuzzy. Black mold was all over them. This happen to a MF with 303 protectant, a foam with Blackfire WD. My pads with Zaino Z2 and CS were ok.

Should I be leaving the bag open to vent? Should I wash the pads and air dry first? washing pads with sealants never seems to get it all out.

I've always read that anything foam should not be sealed up in a completely air tight container. The drawers that people use still allow air to get in so the products can evaporate some.

Jimmie
07-26-2011, 08:40 PM
I had to toss my share of buffer pads early on. No more baggies here.
I do have a few yellow applicators still in the tub of wax. It seems to be OK.

BillE
07-27-2011, 07:04 AM
I put everything in zip bags...but I don't completely close the zipper...little 'breathing room' just in case they aren't totally dry.

Bill

HeavyMetal
07-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Porous material + humidity + no airflow = the perfect environment for mold. I store pads and applicators in a plastic chest of drawers my wife got at Wally World. Works great. If you want to use baggies, don't seal them.

05xrunner
07-27-2011, 11:50 AM
I clean all mine out with Dawn real good to make sure they are like new again..dry them out and then back into the cabinet they go..never had a problem this way

BobbyG
07-27-2011, 01:41 PM
I clean all mine out with Dawn real good to make sure they are like new again..dry them out and then back into the cabinet they go..never had a problem this way

Pretty much the same here too....:dblthumb2:

jay trader
07-27-2011, 08:29 PM

I wash them out with some car wash shampoo and microfiber cleaner (u know, the washing machine stuff). I figure that the mf cleaner will dissolve the remaining wax or sealant from the applicator or pad sufficiently. Seems to work well.

DHCrocks
07-27-2011, 08:35 PM
I tried washing my foam pad I use for BFWD and nothing seems to get it out. I can get it to congeal and and squeeze it out from the pores but it still won't come out like new. There is always some stuff remaining.

I'll have to get one of those mini plastic drawer organizers for my pads I guess.

Jenn1270
07-27-2011, 08:38 PM
I tried washing my foam pad I use for BFWD and nothing seems to get it out. I can get it to congeal and and squeeze it out from the pores but it still won't come out like new. There is always some stuff remaining.

I'll have to get one of those mini plastic drawer organizers for my pads I guess.

I just chunk then and get the foam applicators in bulk or catch them on BOGO
Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicators in BULK (http://www.autogeek.net/pinfoamwaxap.html)

Saves alot of time and is easier.

If you apply by DA that is a different story

Jenn

dad07
07-27-2011, 09:38 PM

Pretty much the same here too....:dblthumb2:

:iagree: Same here.

Belair
07-27-2011, 09:43 PM
^ Agreed. I use the Pinnacles & they're a cost effective solution that saves time & effort.