PDA

View Full Version : anything between UC and 845?

mark709
07-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Is it ok to go from Ultimate Compound to 845 or do I need something after UC?

embolism
07-26-2011, 08:30 AM
what colour and type of paint (hard/soft)?

if it looks good to you then you can go straight to 845
UC (consumer version of M105) finishes pretty good in general but they do have Ultimate Polish which is the consumer version of M205. UP with a black or white pad might be an option if you have the time.

UP on white might be all you need for upkeep going forward too...

flamed03vert
07-26-2011, 08:30 AM
I just did this on my wifes friends car, and the only thing I did was wash after the UC before the 845IW application. Worked out pretty well. Waiting to hear some other feedback on this.

mark709
07-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Paint is silver. Not sure about hard/soft, both cars are Hondas.

tuscarora dave
07-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Having created some awesomely glossy paint using multiple compounding/polishing steps I am always inclined to follow UC with a finishing polish to get that serious gloss. Some folks are happy with clean and shiny though and that's all they are willing to pay for so UC works fine on jobs like that, however I typically use M-205 for quick one step polishings.

I suggest trying some finishing polish after UC just to see what you would be missing. There will be a difference.

tuscarora dave
07-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Paint is silver. Not sure about hard/soft, both cars are Hondas.
soft and very thin. I would start with a polish instead of a compound. Something like M-205 or Poorboy's World SSR2 works great on Honda paint.

sillybinaries
07-26-2011, 08:48 AM
:iagree:

I just went through the process a few weeks back on a Honda Pilot "Black" and CRV "Maroon" I used UC, but found UP made the paint really POP. I then followed up with Power lock and 845. This combination went beyond my expectations. During the 20% off sale, I picked up some PO85rd Polish "potential replacement for UP for me" for testing as many AG members rave about it. :xyxthumbs:

HeavyMetal
07-26-2011, 08:49 AM
:iagree:

I'm with Dave. While UC will finish quite nicely and is probably good enough for most folks, I like to follow with a finish polish like WG Finishing Glaze (same as Menz 106) or Meg's Ultimate Polish for the extra gloss.

We just did my nephew's car - an 04 Ion - and followed with a couple coats of Menz Powerlock. He had a guy approach him in a parking lot asking how new the car was and if he wanted to sell it since he needed a car for his daughter. It's quite a compliment when someone wants to buy your car because it looks so nice. Im the MAN

supercharged
07-26-2011, 09:07 AM
You need a finishing polish if you don't want your paint looking dull...