PDA

View Full Version : New Minis, completely wrapped with plastic.

Cat ji
07-26-2011, 03:54 AM
I just saw a new Mini at the gas station in front of my office (the dealer is nearby)...the entire car is wrapped in translucent plastic, with what looks like masking tape along the A pillars and so on. Only the windshield and the driver window had been uncovered. First time I've seen that. So, your new Mini would really have new, clean paint. All you'd have to do is prevent the dealer washing it or wiping it with a dry cloth.

CrownKote
07-26-2011, 06:57 AM
Almost all BMW products come like this... If I were to buy a new Mini (I won't as I do not like the new look, they are too chubby and wth 4 doors on a Mini?) I would tell them that I want it still in the plastic wrap...

MakemeShine
07-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Mini's are shipped from UK on a ship and coated with Kosmoline, witch is a wax of some sort.
They heat the car up to melt the wax but not all of it comes off the crevices and if you park some where with extreme heat, you can see it leak from the crevices.

embolism
07-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Kosmoline... hmmm

doesn't Prima make something specific to strip that stuff off?

Twister
07-26-2011, 09:17 AM
I've seen the cars being delivered to the dealership down the street all wrapped up. I've always wondered how hard it would be to remove all the adhesive

Jons6.7
07-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Cosmoline is what they put on guns to prevent rust and you need to really clean it off before you fire the gun, this is mostly a military thing as it is actually a mil-spec product.

Can't see them coating a car with anything they then have to cook off. I would think that the plastic is all they need.

I would be curious about this if you can point me to a link about it. Would be a great story to tell people about how some cars are handled.

trerc
07-26-2011, 11:34 AM
I've seen the cars being delivered to the dealership down the street all wrapped up. I've always wondered how hard it would be to remove all the adhesive

I worked at honda many years ago, the plastic really only leaves a fine line that needs cleaned up around the edges... Audi ships their cars in silver bags, pretty cool idea

MakemeShine
07-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Kosmoline... hmmm

doesn't Prima make something specific to strip that stuff off?

Prima does make a product to get it off called cosmonot.
No real use IMO cause most if it is stuck in the crevices.

MakemeShine
07-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Cosmoline is what they put on guns to prevent rust and you need to really clean it off before you fire the gun, this is mostly a military thing as it is actually a mil-spec product.

Can't see them coating a car with anything they then have to cook off. I would think that the plastic is all they need.

I would be curious about this if you can point me to a link about it. Would be a great story to tell people about how some cars are handled.

Im a New Mini owner and I've been on a forum that's all about mini's and that's where i learned about it leaking.
It's true cause it happened to me after a week of ownership.

NorthAmericanMotoring.com is the Forum. You can do a search there cause I'm to tired, just got off work.

FUNX650
07-26-2011, 12:57 PM

The use of cosmoline on/in vehicles is for protection against the elements (such as rust) during salt-water voyages and at port-of-entry storage, among others. Here are some reasons for doing so:

In Shaky Economy, New Cars Pile Up At U.S. Ports - Pictures - Zimbio (http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/hkuzJaFR9uX/Shaky+Economy+New+Cars+Pile+Up+Ports/8g35GciiM5O)

wax upon delivery? [Archive] - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-201749.html)

Some ways to remove cosmoline, I'm sure there are many other.
Removing Cosmoline?: Grassroots Motorsports forum: Grassroots Motorsports Magazine (http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/removing-cosmoline/32182/page1/)

Bob

1MZsLastForever
07-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Is it possible to buy any new car and have them leave the plastic on? For example 2011/2012 Ford Mustang. Or is it just BMW and Mini that do this?