PDA

View Full Version : Mobile detailing and mileage?

Pages : [1] 2

michael13
07-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Is it reasonable for a mobile detailer to disclose to customers that you travel a set distance freely, and then charge for distances traveled beyond that set distance? For example, serve a 60 mile radius, then add $0.33 per mile traveled beyond that 60 mile radius.

Or

Should I just say prices starting at $nnn for a service, and calculate for mileage silently in my estimates?

I do not want customers feeling that I am trying to nickel and dime them to death, but I also do not want to be traveling over 60 miles without being reasonably reimbursed for doing so. Especially offering some services (headlight restoration) as affordable as $25.00. The gas by itself required to travel 60 miles is currently costing me almost $20.00.

I could raise prices, but I do not feel that it would be fair to charge the client down the street the same price for the same work, as I charge a client who wants me to travel 80, 90, or more miles.

I know in many cases, the clients are local to the detailer. In my case, my semi-directed initial marketing (family member advertising personally to people at work), will likely reach clients as far as 80 - 90 miles away, due to how spread out everything is here.

C. Charles Hahn
07-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Is it reasonable for a mobile detailer to disclose to customers that you travel a set distance freely, and then charge for distances traveled beyond that set distance? For example, serve a 60 mile radius, then add $0.33 per mile traveled beyond that 60 mile radius.

That is absolutely reasonable -- however if you *know* your targeted marketing will reach an 80-90 mile radius you should calculate your prices and set the outward limits of your service area accordingly. If you get beyond that level, THEN you start charging extra.

master detailer
07-25-2011, 07:41 PM
lol you are right. I will not go that far and tell them to get some one in there area. but I got work coming to me from the keys. they call me from naples fl and thats 1 hr each way .I tell them I will charge them 100.00 per day to come to them 2hrs of my time and gas.

vinyldoctor
07-25-2011, 08:16 PM

Or

Should I just say prices starting at for a service, and calculate for mileage silently in my estimates?

I do not want customers feeling that I am trying to nickel and dime them to death, but I also do not want to be traveling over 60 miles without being reasonably reimbursed for doing so. Especially offering some services (headlight restoration) as affordable as $25.00. The gas by itself required to travel 60 miles is currently costing me almost $20.00.

I could raise prices, but I do not feel that it would be fair to charge the client down the street the same price for the same work, as I charge a client who wants me to travel 80, 90, or more miles.

I know in many cases, the clients are local to the detailer. In my case, my semi-directed initial marketing (family member advertising personally to people at work), will likely reach clients as far as 80 - 90 miles away, due to how spread out everything is here.

Depends what you normally charge for services.
I get 75.00 a hour for what I do. I will go almost anywhere except the next city. and that depends on the job too. hours on a car lot can run towards 1000.00 sometimes.

michael13
07-25-2011, 08:40 PM
My current target client, is the individual car owner and not the dealerships.
I may end up traveling for a single car detail.
I am estimating $25 - $30 per hour.

michael13
07-25-2011, 08:45 PM
Shiny Lil Detlr:
That is absolutely reasonable -- however if you *know* your targeted marketing will reach an 80-90 mile radius you should calculate your prices and set the outward limits of your service area accordingly. If you get beyond that level, THEN you start charging extra.

I do not know what percentage of my customers will be from where, so I have no basis for adjusting my prices accordingly.

Here is my current exterior service/price list. Maybe someone would be willing to make some suggestions?
Our mobile automotive exterior detailing services:

================================================== =========================================
We offer two standard levels of exterior detailing treatment, along with being able to create a custom treatment to meet your specific needs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Base Package:
A.1):This service begins with a high quality and gentle hand washing using a high quality automotive wash and a micro-fiber wash mitt. - Rinseless option available.
B): A clay bar is then used, to gently and effectively remove surface contamination from the paint's surface.
C): The automobile is then thoroughly dried using a waffle-weave micro-fiber towel.
D.1): Paint is then treated to the gentle application of a high quality carnauba wax, using a DA polisher and a soft foam applicator pad. - Sealant option available.
We primarily use a DA polisher for wax application, due to its ability to spread wax very evenly and thinly. This allows a uniform and intense shine and depth to come through to the surface, while providing lasting paint protection.
E): Tires and trim are protected using a high quality tire and trim sealant.

F): Complete interior vacuum.

This service typically takes approximately 3-7 or more hours.

Base Package Prices:
Small size car: Starting at $70.00.
Mid size car: Starting at $95.00.
Large size car or Small size SUV/Pick up truck: Starting at $120.00.
Mid size SUV/Pick up truck: Starting at $100.00.
Large size SUV/Pick up truck: Starting at $180.00.
Extra Large size SUV/Pick up truck: Starting at $240.00.

* Price is based on your automobile's size. (And in extreme cases only, the amount of cleaning required.)
* We will travel the first 60 miles from Honesdale, PA free of charge. Add $0.33 for each additional mile.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Base Package Plus Basic Polish Package:
This service includes steps a through f from the Level 1 service and adds the following.

G): Paint polished to an beautiful finish, that is vibrant and full of life. This polishing will also remove some very minor paint swirls and some very minor water spots.

This service usually takes approximately 5-9 or more hours.
This service only removes some very light swirl marks and some very light water spots. For deeper swirl marks and water spots, we suggest our paint correction service.

Base Package Plus Basic Polish Package Prices:
Small size car: Starting at $120.00.
Mid size car: Starting at $160.00.
Large size car or Small size SUV/Pick up truck: Starting at $250.00.
Mid size SUV/Pick up truck: Starting at $260.00.
Large size SUV/Pick up truck: Starting at $300.00.
Extra Large size SUV/Pick up truck: Starting at $380.00.

* Prices are based on your automobile's size. (And in extreme cases only, the amount of cleaning required.)
*We will travel the first 60 miles from Honesdale, PA free of charge. Add $0.33 for each additional mile.

Optional exterior detailing services:

A.2): A rinseless wash can be substituted for the standard wash at no additional charge.
A rinseless wash is completely safe for your automobile's paint, due to the special wash agent used and its ability to lift the dirt from the paints surface and trap it deep inside the micro-fiber wash mitt until it is released into a bucket that is separate from the special wash agent's bucket. This is our preferred wash method, as it makes less of a mess of the wash area, only about 4 gallons of water are needed, and can even be performed inside of a garage or car port without making a mess.

D.2): A paint sealant can be substituted for the carnauba wax treatment for an additional $20.00.
A two step paint sealant that provides longer and stronger protection for the paint, can be substituted for the high quality carnauba wax. This sealant process starts with a prep that is applied by DA polisher. The sealant itself is then applied by hand and foam applicator pad. This sealant requires 3-4 hours to dry before the automobile can be driven, and up to 24 hours to cure before being exposed to heavy moisture.

Cosmin
07-25-2011, 08:46 PM
i tolerate a good 50 miles round trip , after that i start adding inthe total price for the service.
why? if i catch traffic i spend extra hours round trip and the gas mileage.
plus the service has to be a min 100$up to worth the trip.

another example : if i have a correction that takes 2 days at 60 miles round trip than i end up with a min of
- 120 driven miles
- drive for a min of 2 hours and 40 minutes round trip
- 4-6 gallons of gas.

i usually don`t specify in estimate , but i add it when is the case or multiple trips are made.

vinyldoctor
07-25-2011, 08:46 PM
My current target client, is the individual car owner and not the dealerships.
I may end up traveling for a single car detail.
I am estimating $25 - $30 per hour.

yeah, I do personal service also. it still depends on what you charge.
I see detail trailer units here in town with signs on them for full detailing for 19.95. but detailing is way more cut throght here then what I do. I don't have to battle 1000 portable pro and hobby units for a client. I think there are 3 in my state doing what I do, including me. I was once going to add detailing to my thing until I noticed all the units everywhere in town. you even see them in empty lots with cardboard signs now.

michael13
07-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Posted what I am thinking about for prices above.

Flash Gordon
07-25-2011, 09:07 PM
I request helicopter service for anything over 10 miles

Kristopher1129
07-25-2011, 09:40 PM
I think that's REALLY cheap actually. I charge $35 within a 5 mile radius. Anything outside of that...is figured accordingly. For me it's different though...cause I've got a shop. So I don't HAVE to do mobile.

If I was strictly mobile though...I think not charging for 60 miles is far more than fair. In fact, I think it's unfair to you. 60 miles is quite a haul back and forth. I think you deserve to get paid for the convenience you are providing for your customer. I don't think any customer would argue that either. :dblthumb2:

Perfections
07-25-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm kinda like Cosmin, in that I'll travel around 15 miles but after that they will have to get a minimum basic detail package, no wash and vac type stuff, unless they have multiple vehicles like 3+

ShineTimeDetail
07-25-2011, 10:19 PM
I have a minimum of $70 for mobile services within 15 miles of my zip. After that I charge $10 per 10 miles.

mpm
07-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Raise your prices accordingly to cover the 60 and 80 miles out then offer a local service discount. Your gas is covered and your customers don't know they are paying extra.

Bunky
07-27-2011, 05:40 PM
I request helicopter service for anything over 10 miles

Have you ever got it?