PDA

View Full Version : water blade

Pages : 1 [2]

SRTSean
07-26-2011, 02:39 PM
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZjWkB_q2lE]‪Fifth Gear 15x01 Car Wash‬‏ - YouTube[/video]

gumbedamit
07-26-2011, 03:08 PM
I think 5th Gear did a comparison of 3 different car washes, an automatic touch wash, hand wash (with brushes and dirty rags), and one where they used a water blade. The water blade did the most damage.

Care to post that link?

embolism
07-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Sean did one better and posted the video for you!

as for using a mf to dry, using a thicker nap and a drying aid is definitely better than using a thinner mf with nothing in case there is anything on the car that can be dragged across the finish. On windy days I sometimes even pull the car into the garage before I wipe it down in case anything from a tree or random dirt blows and gets stuck to the car before I wipe it.

If I had a blade, I would use it on the windows only...

as Mike says, find what you like and use what works for you...

gumbedamit
07-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Sean did one better and posted the video for you!

as for using a mf to dry, using a thicker nap and a drying aid is definitely better than using a thinner mf with nothing in case there is anything on the car that can be dragged across the finish. On windy days I sometimes even pull the car into the garage before I wipe it down in case anything from a tree or random dirt blows and gets stuck to the car before I wipe it.

If I had a blade, I would use it on the windows only...

as Mike says, find what you like and use what works for you...

Just looked at the video, the water blade did not finish in last place as was stated Besides that, I don't know what type of blade they were using, but its not the one I use.
As you've so politicly stated, What works for you, and they do work for me. I've done the same test with the blade on my clients cars along with mine and I've yet to discover any significant scratches or maring from the waterblade.

TornadoRed
07-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Just looked at the video, the water blade did not finish in last place as was stated

My bad. I misremembered.

Ted S.
07-26-2011, 04:03 PM
If it hadn't been for that squeeqy blade....

gumbedamit
07-26-2011, 04:05 PM
My bad. I misremembered.

Not a big deal. People have different experiences with different products. If the car looks good and the client is happy and we get paid, then all is right with the world:xyxthumbs:

SRTSean
07-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Looks like I'll be polishing a panel out 100% this weekend and performing my own before/after test to see if using the water blade introduces any marks to the paint.

embolism
07-26-2011, 04:17 PM
the blade may not make any marks but if something is on the paint when the blade goes over it and gets dragged across the paint dry, that's when you will have issues.

At least with a fluffy mf and drying aid, there is less of a chance of marring if something is still on the paint and gets caught up in the towel while wiping.

I've looked at 3000 grit paper before and you can barely see the crystals, but put enough of them together and rub them against your paint and you know what they can do collectively... I'd imagine individually, they would also affect your finish over time...

kronos
07-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Looks like I'll be polishing a panel out 100% this weekend and performing my own before/after test to see if using the water blade introduces any marks to the paint.

That'd be wonderful. Subscribed.

BigBlueFan
07-27-2011, 05:53 PM
I use the Cali Blade on my windows and it does a great job. I never thought of using it on my paint, and after reading the comments I will stick with MF towels. The one other place the blade works great is on my Tonneau Cover. (GMC Sierra 2500HD) Just blade the cover first and all you will need is one pass with a towel for a dry cover.

Rei86
07-27-2011, 06:51 PM
‪Fifth Gear 15x01 Car Wash‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZjWkB_q2lE)

LOL you hear what Paul said? 1800 POUNDS (for today the exchange is 2934 dollars) for what he did to the hood of the cars...if you wanna make a living as detailer go over the pond and undercharge to build up a clientele, than start raising that price!

shoeless89
07-28-2011, 12:02 AM
I've used my water blade for about a year and havent had any problems at all. I think it goes into how well you actually wash the car. even with a good MF you can do just as much damage if not more if you dont wash properly

Mobile detail
07-28-2011, 01:23 AM
LOL you hear what Paul said? 1800 POUNDS (for today the exchange is 2934 dollars) for what he did to the hood of the cars...if you wanna make a living as detailer go over the pond and undercharge to build up a clientele, than start raising that price!

I couldn't believe that either. London here I come!

flamed03vert
07-28-2011, 07:01 AM
I've used my water blade for about a year and havent had any problems at all. I think it goes into how well you actually wash the car. even with a good MF you can do just as much damage if not more if you dont wash properly

:iagree:Good point about the drying towel. All things being fair there is always the potential for user error and not the product causing the damage.