PDA

View Full Version : Old Studebaker

Pages : [1] 2

tw1012
07-25-2011, 11:51 AM
I am new to the forum but I am active on several other sites.

I recently bought a Car Wash in Austin Texas. This is my first wash and we do some light detailing. I have become friends with a mechanic down the road and he sends me 2-3 cars per week.

He has asked me to work on an old Studebaker with heavily oxidized paint.

I Purchased 3M rubbing compound, Carnauba Cleaner Wax and Turtle Wax F21 Polish.

I tried a small area inside the Trunk and it looks great but I am worried that once I use it on a larger area it will produce swirls.

any advice? I am very new to detailing.

thanks,

Trevor

tw1012
07-25-2011, 12:08 PM
crap, im already in trouble. I thought there was no way I could mess it up just by putting wax on it and I was wrong. I have already messed up the hood. Help!

Flash Gordon
07-25-2011, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=tw1012;510228]I am new to the forum but I am active on several other sites.

I recently bought a Car Wash in Austin Texas. This is my first wash and we do some light detailing. I have become friends with a mechanic down the road and he sends me 2-3 cars per week.

I Purchased 3M rubbing compound, Carnauba Cleaner Wax and Turtle Wax F21 Polish.

I tried a small area inside the Trunk and it looks great but I am worried that once I use it on a larger area it will produce swirls.

any advice? I am very new to detailing.

thanks,

My advice would be to practice your polishing skills before trying to tackle this job

Flash Gordon
07-25-2011, 12:11 PM
crap, im already in trouble. I thought there was no way I could mess it up just by putting wax on it and I was wrong. I have already messed up the hood. Help!

Are you working by hand?

BTW....I'm a big fan of Trouble ;)

Ted S.
07-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Possibly one of the greatest threads ever written on the subject of restoring an old, oxidized one-stage paint, like that on the Studebaker:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

:dblthumb2:
Ted.

Twister
07-25-2011, 12:17 PM
What do you mean you messed up the hood?

There are a couple of good posts by Mike Phillips over on AG that have to do with oxidized paint. Might be worth your time to read through them

Edit: looks like I was too slow

Flash Gordon
:toetap:

JRivers
I'm new to the game, but if you have the opportunity to post some pictures, probably the more knowledgeable guys could give you better advice.

Flash Gordon
07-25-2011, 12:18 PM
What do you mean you messed up the hood?

I would imagine it sucked up the wax and looks like crap now

Flash Gordon
07-25-2011, 12:19 PM
I'm new to the game, but if you have the opportunity to post some pictures, probably the more knowledgeable guys could give you better advice.

:iagree: Maybe someone with knowledge will reply to this thread

Mike Phillips
07-25-2011, 12:20 PM

Hi Trevor,

How old is the Studebaker?

Is it too late? Have you already compounded the entire vehicle? Did you rub through the paint anywhere?

If its "important", that is, if it's important not to screw up the originality of the paint, then "read" not scan this article.

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html)

Here's an excerpt, which talks about using a compound...

What not to do
The first thing most people do when trying to restore an old, oxidized finish is reach for some rubbing compound and try to rub the dead, oxidized paint off the car. While this will work, it's the caveman approach because it's too aggressive, it will remove too much paint and because there's a better, safer approach that will provide a better chance at preserving as much of the original paint as possible which is the goal if you're trying to preserve the "originalness" of the car.

You're using an incredibly aggressive product on what is more than likely very dry and brittle paint.

Rub the paint down really well using some #7 Show Car Glaze and then compound it, by doing this you'll make the paint more workable and give yourself a better chance at success.

Another product to consider instead of the 3M compound would be Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, much better abrasive technology.

Then get some oil into the paint, go with #7 or #3 as these two products are very rich in polishing oils that work great on old single stage paints.

Pictures?

:Picture:

Flash Gordon
07-25-2011, 12:27 PM
Before you go any further, how much are you charging this guy? Your going to have countless hours involved

What are you using to apply your product (machine or hand)

Flash Gordon
07-25-2011, 12:38 PM
:Picture:

Flash Gordon
07-25-2011, 12:39 PM
:dunno:

Flash Gordon
07-25-2011, 12:40 PM
:help: