PDA

View Full Version : Can you finish off with M205

Pages : [1] 2

row011
07-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Hi All

I have bought the Megs MF system with M105 + M205

Can you finish off with the M205 + Megs MF finishing pad.

I also have LCC pads, if the M205 + Megs MF Finishing pad leaves some swirls should I use a foam pad for less cut and to finish off?

Any advice very much appreciated.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
07-25-2011, 10:04 AM
It all depends on the paint surface. Softer paints typically don't finish down as well with 205. I have no experience with the Meguiars MF pads as I use a rotary 90% of the time... But I can finish down quite nicely with 205 on a hard paint like most GM vehicles...

HeavyMetal
07-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Yes. There are many posts here on using 205 (or Menz 106 or 85RD) with the mf finishing pad. Reportedly works great.

RaskyR1
07-25-2011, 10:21 AM
When it comes to the final finishing I feel that foam does as better job on most paints and I find the MF pads can leave faint micro marring on some softer paints.

My normal process for following D300/MF is with M205/LC finishing foam pad. On some paints I may use something other than M205 to finish with, but I will always reach for the M205 first.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-25-2011, 10:28 AM
When it comes to the final finishing I feel that foam does as better job on most paints and I find the MF pads can leave faint micro marring on some softer paints.

My normal process for following D300/MF is with M205/LC finishing foam pad. On some paints I may use something other than M205 to finish with, but I will always reach for the M205 first.
Do you not use D301 that often after D300?

Tom Weed
07-25-2011, 10:38 AM

Rasky spoke to me about this last week, if you want better protection than D301 then you probably want to finish with another polish after D300 then your LSP. Topping D301 with another sealant/wax may affect it's ability to bond and stripping the D301 to apply a sealant seems like your going backwards...

row011
07-25-2011, 10:52 AM
So which Lake Country Pad should I use to finish off with the M205 incase some marks are left form the MF + m205?

White?

RaskyR1
07-25-2011, 11:13 AM

I don't really cater to the type of clientele that only wants a quick polish, so I have yet to use it on a clients car. That being said, I would definitely use it if someone only wanted a basic/quick polish job. :props:

RaskyR1
07-25-2011, 11:15 AM
So which Lake Country Pad should I use to finish off with the M205 incase some marks are left form the MF + m205?

White?

Depends on how well the first step finishes down, but usually a black (or crimson) pad is all you'll need.

embolism
07-25-2011, 11:25 AM

so trying to jewel soft paint with 106fa or po85rd using a DA and MF finishing discs is a waste of time?

Don't think I'll be getting a rotary anytime soon...

RaskyR1
07-25-2011, 11:37 AM
so trying to jewel soft paint with 106fa or po85rd using a DA and MF finishing discs is a waste of time?

Don't think I'll be getting a rotary anytime soon...

I wouldn't say it's a waste of time, as I've never actually tried using diminishing abrasive polishes with the MF pads yet, but my understanding is that the MF material itself is more aggressive then foam. So if you want the absolute best final finishing (jeweling), then foam is the way to go.

C. Charles Hahn
07-25-2011, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't say it's a waste of time, as I've never actually tried using diminishing abrasive polishes with the MF pads yet, but my understanding is that the MF material itself is more aggressive then foam. So if you want the absolute best final finishing (jeweling), then foam is the way to go.

Depends on the hardness of the paint, I'd say. I have tried 85RD with the MF finishing pads side-by-side with 85RD on finishing foam a couple times and while I could see a slight difference (with the edge going to the foam) on really soft paint, on a more "normal" medium-hard finish I couldn't really see a difference.

Just another of the many things that is situation-dependent and comes down to personal preference.

silverfox
07-25-2011, 12:55 PM
The fact of the matter is that every car's paint is different, even off the same assembly line...so you have to have a variety of options.

205 will finish down with a MF pad...as will many finishing polishes...BUT if the paint is soft, I would not use a MF pad for finishing. I've had great results with the MF finishing pads using Menzerna PO85RD and other finishing products as well as D301...but my paint is hard...which the MF pads are perfect for.

D301 will finish down beautifully with a foam pad as well...so I would say if you have soft paint...stick with a foam pad. If you have harder clear coat...the MF finishing discs will work great. I really like the MF discs and use them whenever I can...and only use foam when I HAVE to.

Tom Weed
07-25-2011, 01:12 PM
My black car and the gf's black car, when i was doing the correction work on them in order to apply the coatings, I found that foam finished down better with 106fa or PO85rd than the MF finishing pads, this was after correcting them with D300 and the MF cutting disks. I did some testing on the hood and trunk with these products, foam versus MF finishing disc and the results were noticeably better.

my 2 cents...

embolism
07-25-2011, 01:12 PM
thanks guys