PDA

View Full Version : water stain on lips

JDMStanced
07-25-2011, 08:42 AM
hi, i'm new here. Right now, i'm frustrated with all my rims covered with hard water stains. These were bought recently.
The rims are Racing Hart. I think there are polished aluminum with clear coat on it.
I tried Mother's Mag & polish, Meguiar's hot rim cleaner (purple), and soap and water. None of them worked. i can't just use any product out there since they might mess up the clear coat.
How do i get rid of them for sure? to me, it looks like wet sanding and polish is the only way.
If anyone lives near irvine ca area, i can bring the car in.

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/bombguard1/IMG_1352.jpg

slickooz
07-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Maybe you can try M205 with a MF? Just do a small test spot and see if it work.

JDMStanced
07-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Maybe you can try M205 with a MF? Just do a small test spot and see if it work.

what are M205 and MF?

Twister
07-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Microfiber and Meguires #205. Look under Meguires on Autogeek and you will find it

If they are cleared then you will need to treat them like paint and use a polish on them. I would start with M205 also

JDMStanced
07-26-2011, 12:22 AM
i don't think any products will work to get rid of this strong water stain.
i'm thinking of wet sanding and polish. i wish someone can let me borrow the buffing tool haha

Alex Boyce
07-26-2011, 12:36 AM
My guess would be a light polish like M205 and a MF towel would work very well on that, I've got a similar finish on my rims and any time there are crazy stains I grab some polish and its all better.

Good luck, and remember to use the least aggressive method that will get it done.

Mobile detail
07-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Where are you at in california?

Mobile detail
07-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Sorry didn't see irvine. I'm north from you.

Mike Phillips
07-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Here's the deal...

If the stains are merely topical, then you should be able to remove them rubbing the surface with something like the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

IF the stains are deeper than topical, that is the staining has permeated "into" the layer of clear paint, then it still might be possible to remove them it's just a matter of how deeps the stain has penetrated and then rubbing the surface long enough to abrade enough clear off to get past the stain.

Then cross you're fingers there's still clear left to provide protection for the aluminum and maintain a uniform appearance to the wheel.

There are "Open Garage" detailing classes at Meguiar's in Irvine, I know I used to be in charge of them. Now my replacement Mike Stoops runs them and you can trust him to take a look and give you a accurate diagnoses. You can even try the UC there without any charge. Plus when I ran them we also supplied Pizza and cold sodas, so it's pretty good deal, not sure their format currently.

Good luck with it... if you go to the TNOG be sure to tell them Mike Phillips sent you and I say "hi"

:xyxthumbs:

JDMStanced
07-26-2011, 11:14 PM
what are UC and NTOG?
I'll give ultimate compound a try. is it like scratchX?
ScratchX didn't work. I didn't rub hard since it might mess up clear coat.

Here's the deal...

If the stains are merely topical, then you should be able to remove them rubbing the surface with something like the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound.

IF the stains are deeper than topical, that is the staining has permeated "into" the layer of clear paint, then it still might be possible to remove them it's just a matter of how deeps the stain has penetrated and then rubbing the surface long enough to abrade enough clear off to get past the stain.

Then cross you're fingers there's still clear left to provide protection for the aluminum and maintain a uniform appearance to the wheel.

There are "Open Garage" detailing classes at Meguiar's in Irvine, I know I used to be in charge of them. Now my replacement Mike Stoops runs them and you can trust him to take a look and give you a accurate diagnoses. You can even try the UC there without any charge. Plus when I ran them we also supplied Pizza and cold sodas, so it's pretty good deal, not sure their format currently.

Good luck with it... if you go to the TNOG be sure to tell them Mike Phillips sent you and I say "hi"

:xyxthumbs:

JDMStanced
07-26-2011, 11:51 PM
I'll give ultimate compound a try. is it like scratchX?
ScratchX didn't work. I didn't rub hard since it might mess up clear coat.

i signed up for the class now. i hope they let me stay a little shorter..