PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed-One step before OC

WEST SIDE
07-24-2011, 11:05 PM
I purchased a used SUV for my daughters to drive when there home from college and since it will be sitting outside 24/7 i wanted to put OC on it.I know it would benefit from a 2-3 step but the vehicle to me is not worth the effort so I'm looking for suggestions as what to use to give a good clean up before OC.The suv was a one owner and silver in color and actually in good shape,I already washed it with OPC and Dawn and just want to polish it once.Should I use UC/orange pad,205/white pad ??? This will be my first try with OC to get a feel for it before I use it on my other vehicles.

thanks
Ken

Chris Thomas
07-24-2011, 11:33 PM
UC and orange would likely need to be further refined by a polish, and if you think in needs compounding, then you should just plan on a two step. Your best bet would be a test spot since you will be the one who lives with the results and we'd only be guessing since paint hardness varies.

silverfox
07-25-2011, 04:17 AM
I would do a 2 step. Megs D300 w/MF cutting disc, then menzerna PO85RD...or menzerna Power finish- PO85RD. Also the Pinnacle or Wolfgang Twins. You have many options. Just make sure your last step is followed by a complete paint cleaning step like griots paint prep just before Opti coat.

snowking724
07-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Men's Power Finish should take care it, it fineshes great.

HeavyMetal
07-25-2011, 07:55 AM
I purchased a used SUV for my daughters to drive when there home from college and since it will be sitting outside 24/7 i wanted to put OC on it.I know it would benefit from a 2-3 step but the vehicle to me is not worth the effort so I'm looking for suggestions as what to use to give a good clean up before OC.The suv was a one owner and silver in color and actually in good shape,I already washed it with OPC and Dawn and just want to polish it once.Should I use UC/orange pad,205/white pad ??? This will be my first try with OC to get a feel for it before I use it on my other vehicles.

thanks
Ken

Depends on what products and pads you already have. You mention UC and 205, so I assume you have those. While UC on an orange pad will finish nearly LSP ready depending on the paint, I'd still come back with 205 (or UP or Menz 106) on a black pad to gloss the paint. UC finished so nice it really won't take that much longer and any job worth doing is worth doing right.

WEST SIDE
07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Depends on what products and pads you already have. You mention UC and 205, so I assume you have those. While UC on an orange pad will finish nearly LSP ready depending on the paint, I'd still come back with 205 (or UP or Menz 106) on a black pad to gloss the paint. UC finished so nice it really won't take that much longer and any job worth doing is worth doing right.

I do have both UC/205 and it seems like everyone is telling me to stop being so lazy and to do the 2nd step.I will go with the UC/orange pad and take it from there,it is silver and seems to hide alot of flaws.The OC is just so I don't have to wax it so often or else I would have just clayed it and used 845.

Ken

HeavyMetal
07-26-2011, 06:46 AM
I do have both UC/205 and it seems like everyone is telling me to stop being so lazy and to do the 2nd step.I will go with the UC/orange pad and take it from there,it is silver and seems to hide alot of flaws.The OC is just so I don't have to wax it so often or else I would have just clayed it and used 845.

Ken

With the OC you won't have to wax it at all. In fact, Optimum recommends not putting any wax or sealant on top of OC as they simply won't stick and will wash off rather quickly. So, alll you need do after OC is a gentle wash when dirty.