PDA

View Full Version : Advice on powder coating

jforget1
01-27-2007, 10:10 PM
I have a Fujita F5 intake system (http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12670#). Over the summer I used a degreaser which I did not realize would leave marks on the chrome finish. I have never been able to really clean it off completely. I am now thinking that I would rather it be black anyway. I am wondering if anyone could reccomend a good method to refinish this piece. I was thinking maybe a flat black that has a little of that "orange peel" look to it. Although maybe just a flat black would be good. I am not sure if I need a special paint. I do have high temp spray paint which I used for my grill, it is flat, that actually my look perfect. Has anyone made a mod like this? Any advice is appreciated.

Gary Sword
01-27-2007, 10:16 PM
One of my friends had the inside part of his 3-piece Porsche wheels powder coated gloss black and it look really nice. I have some similar wheels on one of my cars which I really like.

jforget1
01-28-2007, 12:57 PM
One of my friends had the inside part of his 3-piece Porsche wheels powder coated gloss black and it look really nice. I have some similar wheels on one of my cars which I really like.

Cool, I think the black would look cool, it is a black truck. Found a place here I will call monday to check it out.

ltoman
01-28-2007, 01:02 PM
what does powder coated mean?

Craig
01-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Powder coat would be the way to go. Any color you can think of is available. It will take a beating and look good. You would have to remove it to be coated. Before powder coating, the part has to be sand blasted. Being chrome to begin with, I'm thinking the chrome would have to be removed. POR 15 has real good engine enamel. I have used gloss black on a oil pan, and valve covers and it looks better than factory finish. It's been @ 2 years and still holding up with lots of gloss. (and no I don't wax the my oil pan:D )

Craig
01-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Lauren, this is for you. Powder coat is a coating process that uses ground up plastic for your color. The plastic is ground up as fine as....... lets say like cooking flour, corn starch or baby powder. Picture a can of lip stick red baby powder. You take the part, sand blast it. You can not touch it from this point on. Put your powder coat in the POWDER COAT GUN (I'm not yelling, it looks like a spray gun). The spay gun has a electric charge going to it that runs off of a transformer (I think +12 volts or so). the part has a ground wire clip to it. When you spray the part, the neg ground pulls the pos charged coating to the part, coating it. Put the part in the oven on 400, (I wouldn't use my home oven for this) it melts the fine plastic to the part and you're done. Thats right, if it can't take the heat, you can't powder coat it. :applause: I hope that gives you a idea on what it is.:)

ltoman
01-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Lauren, this is for you. Powder coat is a coating process that uses ground up plastic for your color. The plastic is ground up as fine as....... lets say like cooking flour, corn starch or baby powder. Picture a can of lip stick red baby powder. You take the part, sand blast it. You can not touch it from this point on. Put your powder coat in the POWDER COAT GUN (I'm not yelling, it looks like a spray gun). The spay gun has a electric charge going to it that runs off of a transformer (I think +12 volts or so). the part has a ground wire clip to it. When you spray the part, the neg ground pulls the pos charged coating to the part, coating it. Put the part in the oven on 400, (I wouldn't use my home oven for this) it melts the fine plastic to the part and you're done. Thats right, if it can't take the heat, you can't powder coat it. :applause: I hope that gives you a idea on what it is.:)

woah, cool! thank you, craig! you da man!! that is sooo neat!:cheers: :applause:

Craig
01-28-2007, 02:31 PM
I was waiting for you to ask about sand blasting. I done a good bit of that, and its not fun at all. Something like, 95 outside, your soaked with sweat, naked;) , now take a 5 gallon bucket of dry sand and dump it over yourself. Be sure and cover your whole body. Thats right, everywhere. :D Thats what it's like, somehow the sand ends up in the damnest places. (sorry, I have no pictures, and I'd be willing to bet no one will ask) All it takes is one little grain to feel like a big rock.Im the MAN Thats the moves you do to get the sand off.:D

ltoman
01-28-2007, 02:44 PM
I was waiting for you to ask about sand blasting. I done a good bit of that, and its not fun at all. Something like, 95 outside, your soaked with sweat, naked;) , now take a 5 gallon bucket of dry sand and dump it over yourself. Be sure and cover your whole body. Thats right, everywhere. :D Thats what it's like, somehow the sand ends up in the damnest places. (sorry, I have no pictures, and I'd be willing to bet no one will ask) All it takes is one little grain to feel like a big rock.Im the MAN Thats the moves you do to get the sand off.:D

Gary is going to love this one too. He may dream about it -but not with you sanding... perhaps Jennifer or one of the models...lol
That was comedy! Is this something you do often? Hope you don't frighten your neighbors!!!!LOL
Hee hee

Jimmie
01-28-2007, 02:47 PM
jforget1 What kind of degreaser left marks on your chrome? Sure wouldn't want a repeat performance of your experience. Learned a lot on this subject today. Thanks everyone. Lauren didn't you have almost the same happen to some wheels?

flyinbryan
01-28-2007, 03:03 PM
I was thinking maybe a flat black that has a little of that "orange peel" look to it. Although maybe just a flat black would be good. I am not sure if I need a special paint. I do have high temp spray paint which I used for my grill, it is flat, that actually my look perfect. Has anyone made a mod like this? Any advice is appreciated.

I used A can of Black wrinkle finish paint on my stock air box & it turned out great. you have to follow the directions exactly for it to turn out though. It was somthing like 1 heavy coat every 10 minutes for 3 coats then let it dry for 24-48 hrs and as it dries it wrinkles up.

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/7788/pics005du0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ltoman
01-29-2007, 01:45 AM
jforget1 What kind of degreaser left marks on your chrome? Sure wouldn't want a repeat performance of your experience. Learned a lot on this subject today. Thanks everyone. Lauren didn't you have almost the same happen to some wheels?

yah i did - not quite sure what did it, exactly.

jforget1
01-29-2007, 07:15 AM

I cleaned it with simple green, did not know it was bad for chrome at the time. It left a bunch of water spot looking marks.