PDA

View Full Version : OptiCoat 2.0....any way to tell if it bonded?

Pages : [1] 2

chris11le
07-23-2011, 10:43 PM
I was curious if there is a way to tell if OptiCoat bonded correctly.

Im seeing lots of beading and water run off, so there is definitely something on the surface. But the detailer and I used a microfiber to go back over some high spots, I was curious if that happened to make a difference in the bonding. Didnt use much pressure with the microfiber, and the areas we went back over seem to be beading just like the rest of the surface, but I was just morbidly curious I guess.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Dr Oldz
07-23-2011, 11:05 PM
I think it flashes so quick that wiping with a MF doesn't affect it. I intentionally didn't do a spot the last time I used OG to see If I could tell a difference and you can tell by the beading properties of where I didn't use it.

Chris Thomas
07-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Uniform beading and sheeting tell the tale. You can layer a second coat immediately after the first if you think you need to...but I mean within 5-15 minutes.

newb001
07-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Uniform beading and sheeting tell the tale. You can layer a second coat immediately after the first if you think you need to...but I mean within 5-15 minutes.

I didn't realize opti coat could be layered. Do you mean within 5 to 15 minutes of finishing a whole car you can go back around and do it again? Or just panel by panel you can add a second coat within those few minutes?

Does it give twice the protection? Or is it really just to fix any missed spots, etc..?

chris11le
07-24-2011, 07:55 AM
I didn't realize opti coat could be layered. Do you mean within 5 to 15 minutes of finishing a whole car you can go back around and do it again? Or just panel by panel you can add a second coat within those few minutes?

Does it give twice the protection? Or is it really just to fix any missed spots, etc..?

My guess is that it would be just to ensure you got good coverage, kind of like why we make passes in two directions when putting on an LSP, etc.

Id also guess that if you got good coverage the first time, the second pass might end up with a lot of high spots you need to knock down.

I noticed a couple high spots that dried on the car, obviously those will need to be fixed but its not a huge deal (they are on the hood which is half covered by a clear bra so its actually a relatively small portion of a panel that needs to be redone)

Im not sure if its just a placebo or not, but the paint looks a little more smooth and levelled out with the OptiCoat on it. It could just be in my mind though.

dougaross
07-24-2011, 08:33 AM
My guess is that it would be just to ensure you got good coverage, kind of like why we make passes in two directions when putting on an LSP, etc.

Id also guess that if you got good coverage the first time, the second pass might end up with a lot of high spots you need to knock down.

I noticed a couple high spots that dried on the car, obviously those will need to be fixed but its not a huge deal (they are on the hood which is half covered by a clear bra so its actually a relatively small portion of a panel that needs to be redone)

Im not sure if its just a placebo or not, but the paint looks a little more smooth and levelled out with the OptiCoat on it. It could just be in my mind though.

You can use poli-seal to knock down those high spots

dougaross
07-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Chris, this seems like new info. Have I missed this previously?

chris11le
07-24-2011, 09:02 AM
You can use poli-seal to knock down those high spots

Yeah I was thinking that or megs 205 (105 if necessary). They arent very obvious spots, actually probably why he and I both missed them, and the car still looks excellent otherwise.

I remember seeing pics of a black BMW that had a lot of high spots, these arent anywhere near as bad.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-24-2011, 09:21 AM
I was just about to ask about the product high spotting on black paint. Has anyone done a non metallic black and noticed any high spots or irregularies after the application of this product?

chris11le
07-24-2011, 09:34 AM
I was just about to ask about the product high spotting on black paint. Has anyone done a non metallic black and noticed any high spots or irregularies after the application of this product?

My car is a metallic black, but from what ive seen (I wish I could dig up the pics of the black BMW that had high spots, but cant find the link anymore), high spots would show up looking similar to what your paint would look like if kids bubble solution was spread onto it.....almost a rainbow swirl effect. In large areas it would be really obvious, in small spots not so obvious (which is why I missed a few myself).

Thats why its important to use good lighting, but also important to use multiple sources of lighting. Not always possible if the sun doesnt cooperate, but if it means you have to wait for a nice day then you might want to do so, especially for black paint.

FUNX650
07-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Chris, this seems like new info. Have I missed this previously?

:iagree: Everytime I turn around there seems to be additional info on Coatings....sometimes much to people that previously purchased/applied some Coatings chagrin.

I didn't know this product (Opti-Coat 2.0) now has both "beading and sheeting" characteristics, and can be layered (gotta be quick, though)!!!

No wonder I have such a hard time deciding to apply these Coatings, or not. For that matter, any car care products!

Anyone being disingenuous about any products/processes, whether known/unknown at time of release, or even known/uknown afterwards, to enable marketing/selling to ensure the making of profits, "name recognition", among many, only makes me more steeled against purchasing/applying certain of those products.

Just how I feel about it...wish it were not so.

Bob

LegacyGT
07-24-2011, 11:06 AM

I have metallic black and I noticed that after a day everything disappeared on its own.

High spot:
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-Q3Kq3Bg/1/XL/i-Q3Kq3Bg-XL.jpg

After 1 day:
http://www.smugmug.com/Cars/Subaru-Opti-Coat-2011/i-wCkHJ2H/1/XL/IMG8032-XL.jpg

dougaross
07-24-2011, 11:14 AM
:iagree: Everytime I turn around there seems to be additional info on Coatings....sometimes much to people that previously purchased/applied some Coatings chagrin.

I didn't know this product (Opti-Coat 2.0) now has both "beading and sheeting" characteristics, and can be layered (gotta be quick, though)!!!

No wonder I have such a hard time deciding to apply these Coatings, or not. For that matter, any car care products!

Anyone being disingenuous about any products/processes, whether known/unknown at time of release, or even known/uknown afterwards, to enable marketing/selling to ensure the making of profits, "name recognition", among many, only makes me more steeled against purchasing/applying certain of those products.

Just how I feel about it...wish it were not so.

Bob
You seem to have a pessimistic attitude toward OC and a a lot of unnamed products. As far as OC goes, no matter what the text of the comments they all seem to be quite positive. There may be some short comings (there aren't many things that are perfect)but I believe that I haven't seen any comment that say they are sorry about using it. In fact, myself included, everyone seems to be really delighted with the product's characteristics. I'm sure as more people use the product more information will come to light.

BTW maybe you should find out what the poster who use "sheeting/beading" (which seem to be contradictory) actually meant

FUNX650
07-24-2011, 11:36 AM
You seem to have a pessimistic attitude toward OC and a a lot of unnamed products. As far as OC goes, no matter what the text of the comments they all seem to be quite positive. There may be some short comings (there aren't many things that are perfect)but I believe that I haven't seen any comment that say they are sorry about using it. In fact, myself included, everyone seems to be really delighted with the product's characteristics. I'm sure as more people use the product more information will come to light.

I guess you're right. I may be too pessimistic. But I only want to ensure myself that not only my money is well spent on products that will perform as stated; that, in the case of Coatings and some sealants, the frequency of my "going around and up and down" the vehicles' paint surfaces is greatly reduced; and the vehicles incur no damage to their paint and other surfaces.

It's just that: All of the "updated" information and versions of products, that seems to come at regular intervals, that make me a little wary. That's all. Hope you and others understand my uneasiness, as it were. :)

I would be delighted one day (soon) to have a Coating such as Opti-Gard, Opti-Coat 2.0, or even one of the other ones, applied to my vehicles. That is why I am following people's progress with these Coatings, with deep interest, for more of these products' information that's being shared.

BTW..I agree that beading/sheeting seems contradictory; and, needs clarification from the poster.

Bob

chris11le
07-24-2011, 01:24 PM
I have metallic black and I noticed that after a day everything disappeared on its own.

High spot:
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-Q3Kq3Bg/1/XL/i-Q3Kq3Bg-XL.jpg

After 1 day:
http://www.smugmug.com/Cars/Subaru-Opti-Coat-2011/i-wCkHJ2H/1/XL/IMG8032-XL.jpg

No such luck here....I still see the high spots a week later. Granted the car didnt really ever sit in the sun, just drove the 450 miles each way and parked in a garage.

Im not too worried about it, just happy the OptiCoat is on there (presumably) and helping make the soft paint a little less prone to everyday marring.