PDA

View Full Version : Drysanding?

Pages : [1] 2

nitrovette
07-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Talked to a guy here in Jax about removing the orange peel from my paint, he said he drysands instead of wetsanding.How good is this over wet sanding?

BobbyG
07-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Talked to a guy here in Jax about removing the orange peel from my paint, he said he drysands instead of wetsanding.How good is this over wet sanding?

I've been out of this for a while but......

I suppose one could dry sand although I never have. The reason water's used during wet sanding is it acts as a lubricant so the paper won't stick to the paint and it flushes the sandpaper so the cut remains.

You might want a second opinion.....

guess23959
07-23-2011, 06:24 PM
i wouldnt do it specially since you have black and it shows if you make a mistake or not specially since the water prevents burning from what ive been told and i wouldnt sand my car period and thats black too. GORGEOUS machine btw (the blk gnx or grand national)

Jhaight11
07-23-2011, 06:36 PM
i wouldnt do it specially since you have black and it shows if you make a mistake or not specially since the water prevents burning from what ive been told and i wouldnt sand my car period and thats black too. GORGEOUS machine btw (the blk gnx or grand national)
ill drysand rids. easier clean up, no water in any crevices. your statement about "burning" doesnt apply to sanding just rotary polishing.

guess23959
07-23-2011, 06:41 PM
seriously? i figured sanding without water would kill the clear, what i thought was burning it.

Porsche Pilot
07-23-2011, 06:41 PM
If he is properly trained then I would be ok with it. If he is the guy I referred you to then hell yes. The guy that trained him is the jedi master (Renny Doyle).

But, I fully understand your hesitation. Definitely get a second opinion if you are uneasy.

nitrovette
08-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Ok everyone had it dry sanded and it looks great , started out with 1500 then worked it to 3000 then he buffed out and sealed the paint and it look real good. He removed all the orange peel out of the paint plus sealed the car to boot. Then cleaned every thing up for me can't say enough about the job Bill did.

Rsurfer
08-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Ok everyone had it dry sanded and it looks great , started out with 1500 then worked it to 3000 then he buffed out and sealed the paint and it look real good. He removed all the orange peel out of the paint plus sealed the car to boot. Then cleaned every thing up for me can't say enough about the job Bill did.
:postpics:

Flash Gordon
08-18-2011, 07:35 PM
:postpics:

:iagree: & :Picture: Please...

Porsche Pilot
08-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the nice PM. I am glad Bill was able to help you out.

Kristopher1129
08-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Interesting. I never really thought anyone would WANT to dry sand over wet sand, ha. It just sounds like a dusty, friction causing mess to me.

Midnight1700
08-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Dry sanding is the way to go IF you've been professionally trained. Not for the faint hearted. After being trained AND learning about the proper products and tecniques, this is best way to go. IMO. BUT, you still have to follow up with some very fine wetsanding and buffing to finish it out.

Kristopher1129
08-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Dry sanding is the way to go IF you've been professionally trained. Not for the faint hearted. After being trained AND learning about the proper products and tecniques, this is best way to go. IMO. BUT, you still have to follow up with some very fine wetsanding and buffing to finish it out.

Why exactly is that? I'm just curious as to what the benefits are to dry sanding over wet sanding. I picture being able to see the scratches and other imperfections easier, versus wet sanding and having to wipe and let the surface dry before your progress is exposed. Is that why they do it?

Flash Gordon
08-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Why exactly is that? I'm just curious as to what the benefits are to dry sanding over wet sanding. I picture being able to see the scratches and other imperfections easier, versus wet sanding and having to wipe and let the surface dry before your progress is exposed. Is that why they do it?

I'm no expert, but from what I understand you actually lose less clear doing the drysand

Kristopher1129
08-19-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm no expert, but from what I understand you actually lose less clear doing the drysand

I would have thought the opposite.:dunno: