PDA

View Full Version : Drying Question

Pages : [1] 2

Jenn1270
07-23-2011, 05:16 PM
So I got out and washed the pilot today with DP Xtreem foam in a foam gun and the sheated the water while rinsing. I was in the sun and before I could pull into the garage, I started to get water spots. I hit it with the blower within 5 minutes and already had water spots. I dried the remainder using OOC to get the water spots away.

How do you get around this without having to use a drying agent? I guess for the rest of the summer I will just ONR to prevent this.

Jenn

Phinox
07-23-2011, 05:38 PM
I typically wash i nthe evening when the sun is going down like 6 or 7 pm or early morning to prevent this. Unless i am feeling ambitious and want to put up the canopy.

Silverstone
07-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Yeah I never wash in direct daytime sunlight. It's usually after 6PM. After I flush the surface it's easy to dry it before it dries. It's always been rule #1 to wash in the shade.

Flash Gordon
07-23-2011, 05:46 PM
So I got out and washed the pilot today with DP Xtreem foam in a foam gun and the sheated the water while rinsing. I was in the sun and before I could pull into the garage, I started to get water spots.

Jenn

Start drying the upper panels (roof/hood ) before you pull it in the garage. Start with the hood

Jenn1270
07-23-2011, 07:35 PM
I was trying to do it earlier during the day so I could do some polishing this evening. I will make sure and wash later in the day.

Jenn

pickles
07-23-2011, 09:21 PM
I was trying to do it earlier during the day so I could do some polishing this evening. I will make sure and wash later in the day.

Jenn

Jenn,we also have a pilot 2011 EXL and I usually hit it with quick detailer while it's wet and then dry,I don't have a blower,but working quickly I can usually have the body panels dry in a few minutes and pull it into the garage to hit the door jams and windows.The garage is where the waxing happens so I don't wait until a specific time of day.

Twister
07-23-2011, 09:29 PM
I washed my car this morning in the shade but still ran into water spots but normally I don't have a problem. I think the heat caused it to dry faster.

john b
07-23-2011, 09:46 PM
i do just 1 panel at a time if i need to,almost like useing onr in this hot humid weather

vet
07-23-2011, 09:52 PM
I hate to wash in the sun, but usually have to. I do the wheels first, then top, side and back indows, then rinse and dry. I dry again if it gets wet washing the other panels. But, the hotter the surfce is, the more it will streak, water spot.

vet
07-23-2011, 09:59 PM
PS: If you wash stuff when it's sprinkling/raining, your spouse and neighbors will probably think you've gone off the deep end. lol

Jimmie
07-23-2011, 11:18 PM
It happens to me too Jenn. Something that I used to do that I'm going to start again is put a capful of ONR in the wash bucket. That helps.

PA DETAILER
07-24-2011, 06:11 AM
i am up at 5:45 am saturday washing. in the heat of summer you got two choices. either am or wait till the sun sets. i have found nothing beats the quiet and coolness of a summer morning for detailing.

BobbyG
07-24-2011, 06:18 AM
i am up at 5:45 am saturday washing. in the heat of summer you got two choices. either am or wait till the sun sets. i have found nothing beats the quiet and coolness of a summer morning for detailing.

BINGO! :props:

Jenn,

If you have no place other then washing in direct sun then you'll be forced to change the time of day weather earlier or later when the suns in a different position. The only other alternative is to purchase one of those portable canopy's and create some instant shade.

Bunky
07-24-2011, 06:43 AM

The morning has the advantage of being cooler and it gets lighter as you go on where in the evening it is usually still hot and getting darker as you work. I do 90% in the morning, 10% in the evening. I may wash at night so I can start polishing first thing in the am.

PA DETAILER
07-24-2011, 06:56 AM
oh i am sure my gf and neighbors think "is is crazy?" :confused: but to me that is the best time to do it. as mentioned above, if i was going to wax/seal i would wash the evening before, then hit it in the am. until i hit the lottery and can build a garage with heat/water/drainage, this is my method for the summer. seriously, we have been blessed with the best neighbors. its like not having any. no one to back/left or right of us. just two houses across the street. and both are really cool. :xyxthumbs: